Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I just realized bullshido larping is infectious

I had a moment yesterday when I finally realized bullshido is more infectious than the swine flu. If left unchecked it will consume an entire generation of our children.

My 12yr old son has been doing kempo for about 4 years now and, if he sticks with it and works hard, is looking at at least another 4 years to black belt. He and I spar regularly because he doesn't get enough in class and he is starting to get pretty good. I thought he was enjoying it.

Yesterday almost made me cry when he told me he wants to stop his current training and switch to TKD. After working on him for a while I found out that a girl in his class, also 12, just got a BB in TKD. He thinks that is awesome and if he starts TKD he will be closer to his goal than if he continues his current work.

He showed me an email thread that he was on with the girl and a bunch of their class. More than a few of the kids have asked where she got it. They are planning to ask their parents to let them train at the same school. It looks like bullshido breeds more bullshido, it's scary.

I don't want to just tell him that TKD is a load of crap because I know the girls parents and don't really want to piss them off. I think they understand that it is more like ballet or gymnastics than a martial art and were drawn to it for that reason. I just don't think the kids get it and I am sure the parents of the other kids won't understand any more than the kids do.

How, in today's society of instant gratification, do you get kids to understand that there isn't really an end goal in a MA? How the hell can you compete with a quick BB for kids that don't understand the difference between alive training and LARPing when the parents don't know either?

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worry that while the girl's parents may understand that it's more like ballet than fighting, the girl doesn't. I bet the girl thinks she's a badass. That's fucking dangerous.

PS. Bullshido is infectious indeed. My argument in support of this theory as relates to kata: No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Question for the Kenpo Stylists...
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I worry that while the girl's parents may understand that it's more like ballet than fighting, the girl doesn't. I bet the girl thinks she's a badass. That's fucking dangerous.
    After seeing the email I know that is the case.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of kempo does your son take? I've heard the name "kempo" applied to everything from badass fight clubs to bootleg LARPing.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post

How, in today's society of instant gratification, do you get kids to understand that there isn't really an end goal in a MA? How the hell can you compete with a quick BB for kids that don't understand the difference between alive training and LARPing when the parents don't know either?
    That depends on two things: the law in your country and your willingness to inflict pain on your kid.

edit: i'll explain, when i was about 12 or 13 i thought i could defend myself against an adult.
    meh dad an army guy said: no you can't.
    i said: wtf do you know?
    he showed me.
    point taken.

this is somewhat different but still.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like it's time to sit down with your son and watch UFC 1-10. After that, it's off to youtube. Wrap things up with the YMAS taekwondo sucks video (it's got J-Pop, kids love that stuff maybe). If that doesn't work, make him watch this video over and over again: YouTube - Team Chip Tae Kwon Do

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the Coda Scott investigation to him and let him know that skill is more important than belt color every time. If he still wants to quit, tell him "You're not my son" and throw him out of your house.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Foolish let your kid read this:

Hello son, my name is Lebell, i'm a creepy 6 feet 6 European guy.
    If you would start TKD you would make me very unhappy.
    You see, i'm not a normal person, i have magical powers, i fly around the world in search of children who quit, i hide in their closets where i'm invisible, then when they sleep, i creep out of the closet and EAT THEIR SOULS.

I also search for children who won't do their homework and i'll deal with their moms, but thats a story for grown ups.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Looks like it's time to sit down with your son and watch UFC 1-10. After that, it's off to youtube. Wrap things up with the YMAS taekwondo sucks video
    Do that then sit down by the fireplace and talk about how TKD can be gateway art to more hardcore stuff like ninjitsu and wing chun. I suppose you could also ask “If your friends decided to foom foom off a bridge would you?”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:53pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we all know what you can do to re-ignite the boy's interest

YouTube - RedCloud - "When Kenpo Strikes"
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast