Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:10pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctang View Post
    lmao, forget it man. I'm not going to pretend I'm on a high horse. I'm just as impatient as you are. There are loads of times still that I go through the same kind of thing. It's among the reasons why the post touched a nerve for me. The important thing is the will to learn, and you've got a lot of people willing to help you. We're all students in the same sport.

PS. what KJ said was right...I think you have a lot of talent technically.
    <3

Thanks for that :)

@Kru J: Congrats on the tags! :)

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod View Post
    <3

Thanks for that :)

@Kru J: Congrats on the tags! :)
    Congrats on being legit, actually, the tags are just there so we can make sure everyone knows what's up with our members :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool and thank you.
    :)

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kru J View Post
    Let me clarify something, it is the way I teach.
    When I started learning Muay Thai my Ajahn would teach me one way and once I hit a higher level he would begin to change my technique. He would say "Ok you do it this way now, you are not a baby anymore".

My guess is that it is like refining your technique.

I agree and think that Muay Thai techniques are far more intricate and complicated than more people think. The technique is very specific.

I am not a Sensei so I have no clue how they teach.
    I know what you meant exactly, I was just poking fun at the forums because it's come up before and people have said, "Oh that's stupid, just learn the final product on day 1".

I've always learned this way from my instructors, a basic classical version to feel the mechanics, then a more competition-friendly version, then a more personal variation that is better for my body or w/e.

(Before someone feels the need to point it out and turn the discussion away from MT: don't get me wrong, I think Karate & others doing super-overly classical versions wind up instilling bad habits at the same time as the good stuff, and they should fix that, but the basic concept is the same and it's a good way to become really intimate with a technique.)

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all, just had a quick question that is hopefully relevant enough to not count as a thread hijack...

anyways, Kru Jen and Poo Choi, this is mostly directed at you guys because I am really interested in checking out the classes you guys run at YorkU.

I've got a 3-4 year history with amateur boxing (out of Motor City Boxing in oshawa), and a hand injury took me out of active comp for awhile now. I'm out of shape and wanna get back into the fight scene, blah blah yadda yadda

I wouldn't want to ever step on anyone's toes in training and I'm definitely a guy open to all philosophies. I've had the traditional boxing style blasted into me, but realize that Muaythai is an ENTIRELY different game, and I'm excited to start again from the ground up. I am just curious if it would be at all disrespectful to work in some of my boxing game into my Muaythai? I have no problems with checking all of it at the door, I"m just genuinely curious, and concerned that if I do slip into old habits that it might hit a nerve with some people

I am comfy with the basic principle that you goto a boxing gym to box, jiu jitsu to do jiu jitsu, Muaythai to do muaythai, etc, and I don't want that to be on the level with the D-bag in a jiu jitsu class who won't stop shadowboxing, or the odd MMA guy who goes to the gym and starts telling the trainer that some of what they're teaching won't work for MMA... I'm definitely wanting to go to learn Muaythai. I just am curious if I should be abandoning my boxing background entirely?

that got a bit wordy... why does it sound like I'm walking on egg shells haha. Any response would be great

Yours truly

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 9:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it wasn't directed at me, but when I was in Korea the instructors did not rag on me for my sideways international style of kickboxing, nor my traditional western boxing style. He just pointed out some of the things I was doing wrong, regardless of style. BTW my school was very very traditional. Full thai terminology to locked rear leg rear straights.

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

First off Great to meet you and please come and try a free week of classes starting on September 14th. All 4 classes are on a trial basis Tues 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Thurs 6:30 - 8:30pm, Sat 12:30-2:30pm and Sunday Sparring 12:00 - 1:30pm.

I think it would be most beneficial to learn the Muay Thai style punches at first. You have a background so it will be easy. Our instructors will explain the reasons and differences between Boxing and Muay Thai.

The way I generally explain it is like this as; a junior in Muay Thai, you learn all the techniques, traditionally. Once you are at a high enough level (fighter etc) you may inject some things and create your own style. There is definitely a place for boxing and as long as you understand HOW and WHEN to use it in a Muay Thai setting. We can also help you with that.

That being said, you won't learn slipping and things like that until you reach an intermediate level. However, we do teach it. Also, I do have boxing knowledge so I help work that into your game.

Welcome to the team! We look forward to meeting you.

We run before every class. The distance is your choice between 2 and 4 kilometers. So come early!

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Poo Choi Cameron Tang Poy who's demo last night was stunning. Beautiful technique with a great balance of aggressiveness. You showed Muay Thai's full beauty.

Kru J

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for your response, Kru Jen, it all makes sense to me. Look forward to seeing you guys soon.

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I basically agree with whatever KJ says.

But yeah, to phrase my opinion on the matter: I would think it wise to learn the Traditional style since you are paying to learn MT at a traditional gym, BUT still keep working your boxing on your own. We had a guy in our class who did both boxing and Muay Thai. He kept the two separate for as long as he could. I think this method will allow you to fully understand and utilize Muay Thai's strengths as a fighting style. Then, like KJ said, she can help you as you add your knowledge of boxing into your Muay Thai in a useful way. Hope that makes sense.

As for the shout out from KJ...it is very much appreciated.

Do you eat breakfast?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Champion

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of stylistic differences between muaythai and boxing, but the fundamentals of boxing should cross over very well into what you will learn in muaythai. The only problem that I boxer may have is bringing their bad habits they picked up from boxing into muaythai (by which I mean, bad habits even for boxing).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast