Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    right, just tried it on the pads.. and absolutely no difference.. the only benefit was when the pad holder held the pad at a dodgy angle the twisted punch might hit it where a level one would scuff
    Despite your "experiment", you're incorrect about there being no difference. It's likely that there are other things you're doing wrong when you punch, but I can't really comment on those based on a post. The twist absolutely makes for a more solid punch.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Despite your "experiment", you're incorrect about there being no difference. It's likely that there are other things you're doing wrong when you punch, but I can't really comment on those based on a post. The twist absolutely makes for a more solid punch.
    I have no doubt i'll always be doing something wrong with my techniques but some things are always sacrificed for others. the result was essentially indifferent in terms of power and speed, I already cover my chin with my shoulder when I punch so it didn't do that for me either. It made no difference to the solidity of my punch. It causes the elbow to be locked out at the end of the punch but tbh if you have sufficient muscle power you can have a similar effect without twisting your wrist.. but then again perhaps its just me who doesnt notice the benefits.. i'm more than willing to accept i'm just being dense

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mention muscle power, but if you're utilizing "muscle power" when you punch, that means you're creating tension that is interfering with the explosiveness of your punch. Any use of muscle strength is going to slow down your punch and take away from punching power.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:09pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any use of muscle strength is going to slow down your punch and take away from punching power.
    Besides your core rotation, right?

:P

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mention muscle power, but if you're utilizing "muscle power" when you punch, that means you're creating tension that is interfering with the explosiveness of your punch. Any use of muscle strength is going to slow down your punch and take away from punching power.
    that's fair enough, I probably do some of that still. I used to do it almost exclusively. but isnt explosive power generated by speed of muscle contraction? I make sure I feel the punch more in my hips and legs now and with better results. but that doesn't mean strength doesnt come into it. Hypothetically, out of two people with identical technique and speed, logic says the stronger one would hit harder, do you agree?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Besides your core rotation, right?

:P
    I meant in the arm >:(

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:17pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't resist, sorry. XD

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    that's fair enough, I probably do some of that still. I used to do it almost exclusively. but isnt explosive power generated by speed of muscle contraction? I make sure I feel the punch more in my hips and legs now and with better results. but that doesn't mean strength doesnt come into it. Hypothetically, out of two people with identical technique and speed, logic says the stronger one would hit harder, do you agree?
    The explosive power is generated by the rotation of the body and how well that energy is transferred through the arm by the shoulder. If the arm is in any way tensed in trying to utilize muscular strength, then that tension will interfere with the transfer of energy. Mass certainly helps, and strength can make up for lack of technique to a very large degree, but if you're using perfect punching mechanics, arm strength plays very little role in punching power. I know that if I've been punching correctly, the only part of my arm that feels fatigue is my shoulder.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that if I've been punching correctly, the only part of my arm that feels fatigue is my shoulder.
    yeah no disputing that, I do a load of shoulder work to minimise this, i find I only have tension in my arm at the end of the punch. Tbh perhaps I'm not articulating myself sufficiently but I know that I have enough power that I can often rely on it against more skillful technical opponents in sparring, its occasionally pulled me through in bouts against better fighters but fatigue has a funny way of levelling the strength advantage there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 7:11pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but does arm strength really have a completely negligible effect? I understand the desire not to have tension in the arm and that powerful punches come mainly from core rotation, but the tricep still has to contract to extend the arm. Can't more powerful triceps add a little extra force to the blow?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast