Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:30pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must be blind, but I've watched the video 5 times, and the kid always maintains the bend in his elbow while throwing the punch. The elbow never "locks out" like during a snatch. His fist is in line with his shoulder but the elbow is slightly off line.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    I must be blind, but I've watched the video 5 times, and the kid always maintains the bend in his elbow while throwing the punch. The elbow never "locks out" like during a snatch. His fist is in line with his shoulder but the elbow is slightly off line.
    Not sure what to tell you other than that you're wrong. If I could manage to take a screen capture of his extended arm I would. If you're not straightening your arm, you aren't going to have a solid jab. He throws a few lazy jabs just to demonstrate certain other specific elements of the jab, but when he really pops it out there his arm is at full extension. This is also partly dependent upon range (if you're closer, you won't be able to fully extend as easily).

A few more examples

YouTube - How to Throw a Jab Properly

YouTube - How to Throw a Good Powerful Boxing Jab Punch, Boxing Lesson

arm fully extended, thumb down.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that you're not just jamming your arm into a straight and locked position, you're exploding it out from you're shoulder so that your fist basically flies to the end of your reach, your elbow straightens for a split second because you don't have any muscular tension in your arm holding it back (if you're relaxing your arm properly) and pops back into place at your guard position.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:17pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much clearer in those clips. The first guy was probably just being lazier. If my arms naturally hyper-extend when i "lock out" will the technique need to be adjusted? I'm naturally double jointed in the elbows and that sometimes causes weirdness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:22pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for the incredibly useful info guys! I'm going to practice the **** out of this punch :D

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 1:30pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Much clearer in those clips. The first guy was probably just being lazier. If my arms naturally hyper-extend when i "lock out" will the technique need to be adjusted? I'm naturally double jointed in the elbows and that sometimes causes weirdness.
    As long as you keep your arm totally relaxed I think you should be ok, but I don't have any experience with being double jointed.

edit: posted by kidspatula, whoops!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 6:23am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been taught to dip the thumb in Boxing. Its intent, whether or not it really makes a difference, is to add to the snapping effect of a jab or straight. Sounds like your school has taken it to the next level, though. I wouldn't try it, personally, although I am more comfortable dipping the thumb with my punches a little bit.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 6:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i always found i get more power from having my fist pretty much level.. my defence is fine without cokscrewing my punch

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your arm is more solidly extended and your top two knuckles are more solidly aligned if you corkscrew your fist as you punch. It's not going to make or break your boxing, but it does make for a better all around punch.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Your arm is more solidly extended and your top two knuckles are more solidly aligned if you corkscrew your fist as you punch. It's not going to make or break your boxing, but it does make for a better all around punch.
    right, just tried it on the pads.. and absolutely no difference.. the only benefit was when the pad holder held the pad at a dodgy angle the twisted punch might hit it where a level one would scuff
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast