Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 9:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adam West and Burt Ward couldn't pull of the hakama, though . . .

"Holy hot-pink hakamas, Batman!"

Cult Fro'

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Gracie Barra JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    j00do

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 4:33pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry folks but I get real frustrated when I see people who say since x %of attackers carry guns and x % carry knives and x % percent are multiple attackers then when it comes to fighting on the street forget MAs and just carry a gun, tazer, nuclear bombs whatever. So my response to that is that you should stop criticizing mcdojo's and take up ballet because it is all just exercise apparently. I have been in more scraps than I should have because when I was young I was to bullheaded to back down, but I learned that well practiced technqiues used with force and a determination to injure will go an awfullly long ways. Expect to get hit, expect to bleed, expect to be so sick from the blows you want to vomit afterwards, but people go down when you hit them even if they are big self proclaimed tough guys. No system whether it is bjj,TKD,Krav Maga, SCARS, etc is going to work if you arent willing to take it as well as dish it out, but if your neck is on the line they all can work if you are smart and determined to win. Sorry for the rant but sometimes these defeatist attitudes really piss me off. I would rather die fighting rather than just raising my hands in surrender.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 2:49pm

Style: Goshinkwai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :biggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuro
    I've taken, for 12 years, a mix of karate and BJJ, cause my teacher was a 3rd dan in traditional wado karate and a brown belt in BJJ under Carlson Gracie, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I've moved to another city and now I have to find another dojo.

What would you recommend, between Aikikai Aikido, Kodokan Judo and Krav Maga ? Why ?

I am not trying to diminish any style, but I would like an honest opinion, comparing pro's and con's of these arts.

Also, I am NOT interested in taking BJJ, which of course, is widely available here in Brazil

Krav Maga or Magda, as this is a true self defence, combat art and not a martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 3:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the risk of sounding redundant...judo.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 4:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's one BJJ stylist who frequently taps me out who also takes Krav. I don't know how much of what he uses is Krav, since everything I see him do looks like BJJ, but apparently it might have some saving graces. Personally, I've never seen any Krav demonstration that didn't look somehow ridiculous.

Also, I notice that all the people who have told me that Judo and BJJ are competition and not self defense arts have been in considerably less self-defense scenarios than I have. And I've only been in five where I felt I could have been killed or seriously injured had I acted incorrectly. The funny thing is, in every occassion where I look back and felt I did the right thing to get myself out of the situation I have acted in a way that all "self-defense" styles advise against. I've pulled guard to shield myself from multiple attackers. I've convinced an armed man that I wasn't worth the trouble by firmly lying to him and telling him I only had seven dollars in my possession. I've kept my focus on one target so his friends would back off rather than trying to keep in a state of continuous movement. And, in all these scenarios I feel I would have been much worse off had I done anything the deadly street arts tell their students to do.

So, in short, Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 9:05am

Style: KM/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you obvoiusly have a good grappling base, you might want to take krav maga for a while to hone your stand-up/striking skills. I have no idea what what kind of style wado is, but in km you will have very straightforward MT-like striking and kicking plus knee and elbow work. Gun threat and knife work won't hurt either. So I'd say take krav maga for an year or so to get the basics down, and then switch to judo to continue your grappling.

Not impressed with your performance!

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy that posted this thread has probably died of old age by now.

The best advice on this thread is to go and take a class with each before committing to anything. I'd much rather take an Aikido class with a great instructor than a Judo or Krav Maga class from an assclown.
    If God carried a gun, it would be a 1911.

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Cicero

Fortitudine Vincimus - Ernest Shackelton :englishmo

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo.

It will be the link between Karate and BJJ that you already possess.

aahhh...the colors

Posted On:
    5/16/2005 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy old threads Batman!
    Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456