Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:01pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most of the times when people refer to 'unskilled attacker' they usually mean 'retarded'.

no offense to the actual retarded, offense intended to the retards who train sticky hands all day.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:02pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artis Ferox View Post
    To get some much needed objectivity on the matter, bring back Kung fu and Karate, but not to pit them against BJJ or MMA (been there done that).
    It's not up to the UFC or any governing body to pit a style vs style match. It's up to the fighters to go up there and show their skill. I understand your want for seeing more "TMA" guys show their skill, but unless they get off their "sport vs street" high horses and actually step up, it is not going to happen

Pit Kung Fu versus a "no skill" fighter (skill here referring to "martial arts" skill specifically), then pit MMA versus a "no skill" fighter. Even non fighters who will just go in there to have a go, and willing to take punishment.
    Don't ask us, it's your idea. Go find a venue willing to hold such an event, go find trained fighter willing to perform such a task, go find "no skill" fighters crazy enough to sign up for it, go find insurance crazy enough to cover such an event.

Bottom line: It's just not going to happen............legally.

If MMA defeats the "no skill" fighters more often than do the TMA, this will be a final vindication of the proponents of MMA over the TMA for not only octagon supremacy but supremacy in street self defence. If TMA fighters experience some measure of success against these "no skill" fighters, this will undoubtedly come as a surprise to many, but will provide die hard practitioners of the TMA some hope that their years of dedication and effort were not completely in vain.
    Actually, it wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. A skilled martial artist beats up joe schmoe: big surprise there buddy.

If you want to see MMA beat up unskilled fighters...then please see my previous post.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:06pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I will never in my life understand this "argument". People bring up how well a system works against an "untrained attacker" and the argument that "odds are an attacker on the street isn't going to be trained, so it's ok if your system doesn't fare well against trained fighters".

Bullshit I say. You can't justify an inferior method by hoping that you won't run into a skilled attacker. Hope is not a plan. If your system works against trained fighters, it works against untrained fighters, so why train with an inferior method?
    Because they don't want to admit the obvious that there are better ways to train and like the circle-jerk of "well, I could beat some guy who can't fight, and that should be enough." Sad, but true.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:15pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    If a tactic or technique works against a skilled, resisting opponent, then a non-skilled opponent will be royally fucked by it. Why settle for a technique that only works against someone unskilled? It's like going into a battle with a sword instead of a rifle.

As for multiple opponents and weapons, here's how to deal with that:

1. Eat a lot of liquorice and cashews. And I mean a lot.

2. Don't wear underwear.

3. Wear those male stripper pants with the velcro that can be torn off easily.

4. When someone attacks, tear the pants off and immediately start running. The mixture of fear, liquorice and cashews will make you diarrhoea massively. Your attackers will slip on the diarrhoea and be disgusted, thereby stopping their chase.

5. You can then go home happy in the knowledge that your dignity is still intact.
    Ah! The great lost art of poo jitsu. Practitioners are highly encouraged to crosstrain in bu-pee-do, for when you have oponents coming from all directions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 6:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Now that I'm down with. I never understood the advantage of training for morons when a decent high school wrestler could come in and ruin your day.

I'm pretty convinced, however, that the idea that some arts train for your average Joe is just a code word for TEH STR33TS and TEH D3ADLY. It may not be on the surface, but it's there.
    Because they have the Itll never happen to me mentality, combined with the false sense of security that Ill just chain punch them teh death. With such ridicules reassurances why train hard when you can train light and still feel safe?

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 8:01pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't they have a TKD instructor on TUF?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    Didn't they have a TKD instructor on TUF?
    Yeah, and he got smashed and was like "Now I'm a real ULTIMATE FIGHTER guys"

And everyone in the house was like "No, no you aren't"
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbourn View Post
    Because they have the Itll never happen to me mentality, combined with the false sense of security that Ill just chain punch them teh death. With such ridicules reassurances why train hard when you can train light and still feel safe?
    Exactly. But that's what makes things like Wing Chun and a lot of Tai Chi so appealing to people who haven't done their homework. They've convinced people that their martial art is so good that you don't NEED to train hard for it. Or spar, for that matter.

I think the first 5 UFC's basically killed the idea of style vs. style tournaments. And the movement to cross train fighter so they're competent on the ground, in the clinch and standing, makes it even less likely.

You can't go back to pre-UFC ideas. Well, you can, but you'd end up with straight standup guys getting double legged and pounded out or submitted 9 times out of 10. This has already been tested time and time again.

I'll admit, I get a kick out of fight videos where some bully picks on a dude with a little krotty or kung fu experience and gets pwned. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

But if in your martial arts you aim for crap, that's what you're going to end up with.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:57pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like how mma fights take place in a cage or ring where escaping isn’t an option and it doesn’t take into account “dirty fighting”.
    Here you go sir, intentional nut shots in the UFC

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/vbtu...ube&tubeid=166
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:05pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While everyone can agree that it would entertaining as hell to see more pure style vs style matches, those days are long gone. Once the cross-training genie was let out of bottle by UFC 1-5, it was over. Nobody will ever again come in with a pure style into a no-rules match.

In fact, the words "mixed martial arts" didn't exist until something like UFC 9. Up until this point, people were just "ultimate fighting" with whatever skills they had. We even had street fighting in the case of tank. They basically had to invent a name for his "style" (pit-fighting) because he was essentially a street brawler.

Those days are gone. No fool will ever come in without some cross-training. Even Demian Maia hits bags.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast