Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 9:35am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    It's the knife wielding assailant who decided to lie down, ostensibly so he could draw his knife without the arresting officer seeing it. Keep up.
    Got it - I envisioned the cop and the criminal in a tumble. Not the would be knife wielder laying down and trying to pull a knife.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, that's the problem, you're assuming what we're talking about makes any sense at all. The former is a legitimate situation to train for, the latter insipidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 11:54am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep.

So in your opinion, training solely against equally or higher skilled and resisting opponents is of any use whatsoever
    Odd wording, but yes.

hence you disagree with 1point2's use of sparring noobs to add variation and value to one's training.
    Uh, no, never said anything of the sort.

If you had to choose between just sparring noobs and just sparring pros, guess which one's better.
    I don't know how you're interpreting the first quote but I'd say it meant "training against opponents is only of use if they have equal or greater skill and are resisting"

If this is also how you interpret it then you must disagree with the idea that sparring people of inferior skill has any value at all. Since you say you don't I'm curious as to how you do read it.

As for the last bit, just sparring pros could be pretty useless too for a noob if the pros were not going easy (so not fully resisting).

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, that's the problem, you're assuming what we're talking about makes any sense at all. The former is a legitimate situation to train for, the latter insipidity.
    Don't you know, Hesperus? In "Police Academy" (and all the sequels), they have to train for EVERY POSSIBILITY, no matter how improbable:

--the suspect who draws two bazookas while cartwheeling

--the perp whose pen changes, at the flick of a button, into a terrorist nuke

--pursuit of a fugitive who disappears up his own ass, leaving no trace

--neo-nazi hippies with minority-sterilizing nano-tech

...the list is endless, and ALL contingencies must be prepared for.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Don't you know, Hesperus? In "Police Academy" (and all the sequels), they have to train for EVERY POSSIBILITY, no matter how improbable:

--the suspect who draws two bazookas while cartwheeling

--the perp whose pen changes, at the flick of a button, into a terrorist nuke

--pursuit of a fugitive who disappears up his own ass, leaving no trace

--neo-nazi hippies with minority-sterilizing nano-tech

...the list is endless, and ALL contingencies must be prepared for.
    Hyperbole aside, this sort of training is reminiscent of what Buj training often breaks down to, extremely unlikely contingencies.

And galois, you interpret my post to Hesperus correctly (perhaps he didn't like the idea of disagreeing with 1point2).

OK, let's take the stabbing with a knife out of it. We all know grappling someone larger than you toe to toe is hard, especially if relying on upper body strength to move them. Collapsing forwards with weight on their legs and going for a single leg takedown could be an option instead (then drawing knife once fight is on the ground). The difference being instead of starting from say, 2-3 feet away and shooting in (done the conventional way), just collapsing directly in front of the officer/guard - but I suppose this could also be interpreted as a modified single leg done from in close and not necessarily unconventional by definition (I don't know if conventional grappling schools teach this method or not).

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 10:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artis Ferox View Post
    Collapsing forwards with weight on their legs and going for a single leg takedown could be an option instead (then drawing knife once fight is on the ground).
    Yeah.

I'm a genius.

If I have a knife and I shoot into single-leg takedown position, I'll do the takedown (on a larger person), and ONLY THEN, rolling on the ground (with larger person), ONLY THEN bring out the blade.

I CERTAINLY won't shoot in, get the single-leg, and--almost simultaneously--FUCKING HAMSTRING THE LARGER PERSON, with my blade, from that perfect-for-hamstringing position.

Oh no.

EDIT: 'Cause I'm a genius.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 8/07/2009 10:39pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can all be thankful we've got a genius like Old Norman in our midst to show us how streetfighting is REALLY done. Kudos to you buddy.

Posted On:
    8/07/2009 10:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artis Ferox View Post
    We can all be thankful we've got a genius like Old Norman in our midst to show us how streetfighting is REALLY done. Kudos to you buddy.
    Haven't done Kudo in years, but thanks anyway.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516