Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:03am

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Investigation: Mystery John Will 10+ yr BlackBelt Student...

Hi fellow Bullies -

I am trying to track down the mystery source for some statements made concerning Mr. John Will over on Martial Arts planet.

Here was the original statement about Mr. Will:

When giving a seminar, John Will and some of the Machados, line everyone up and tell them they can do whatever they want - kick, punch, eye gouge, groin grab, whatever. Then John Will (or the Machados) beat every guy within 20 seconds. They've never lost. After beating everyone, then they say, "Now, you're going to do what I tell you without asking me a million questions." (It's OK to ask questions, but not during the demos, you know, "Yeah, but what if he does a knee, or what if he turns like this." No, you shut up becuase you just got your ass kicked in 20 seconds.
    It was revised after I verified it didn't happen at ALL seminars to:

CLARIFICATION: I asked my friend who first told m about the Machados and John Will challegning everyone at seminars. He clarified it for me. John Will only does that when the audiance is non-bjj, because they're the ones who cause the problems with their inane questions DURING his teaching.

For example, a TKD organization might hire him to do a seminar so they can learn arm bars. In that case, he was known to challenge everyone and tap them, just so they would listen throughout the seminar and not pepper him with questions (better asked after the seminar or to their partner while practicing).
    If anyone can shed any light on the above - I would appreciate it. I asked Mr. Will about it directly - and he said it never happened. However, the person who claimed it is still standing by his statement (and hiding behind an anonymous expert source):

Here is what I have gleaned about his expert "source":

He was given a BJJ BlackBelt by Mr. Will over 10 years ago (Mr. Will got his BlackBelt only 11 years ago - so this should really narrow it down). He is a close personal friend of Mr. Will for 20 years. He visits Mr. Will monthly for private classes. He set up free programs for inner-city kids to learn grappling, and keep them off the streets.

Here is the story about the source's BlackBelt test:

Back then, as he told me, his black belt test involved having to wrestle everyone in the club one after the other. It took 45 minutes, and when they were all done, he couldn't even get off the mat. John Will just walked up to him, tossed the blackbelt over him, and said, "Oh, here you go," and they left him there.. haha! Very different now, I guess!
    I suspect he lives outside of Australia (most likely Korea?) - as that is where the original poster is claiming he is from.

Any bullies have a line on this mystery guy? Does he exist?

Any other comments?

Thanks in advance everyone -

-Daniel

PS. I met John Will shortly after the original statements were made. My write-up of our meeting can be found here. By the way - I really enjoyed Mr. Will's seminar. He is a fantastic instructor... :-)

PPS. I assume this is the right forum for this? Let me know!
    Last edited by dweidman; 7/29/2009 1:12am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 7:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just email john, he will tell you whether or not he gave this dude his BB and how he tested him for it... i kind of doubt he did it as long ago as claimed though from my knowledge johns BB mainly trained under him here in australia and none that i have heard of achieved bb as long as 10 years ago

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherLearning View Post
    just email john, he will tell you whether or not he gave this dude his BB and how he tested him for it...
    I sent John an email about this a while ago - but haven't gotten a reply yet. If I knew the guy's name - this would be a much easier thing to track down.

i kind of doubt he did it as long ago as claimed though from my knowledge johns BB mainly trained under him here in australia and none that i have heard of achieved bb as long as 10 years ago
    That was one of my first red flags - and part of why I am looking for anyone else who would have a better line on it.

I'll see if I can give Mr. Will's a call as well.

Thanks in advance mate.

-Daniel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 7:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahahahaha

ok, i just checked the links the MAP

the guy you're arguing with "morra" trains at my club... he is a two stripe whitebelt if i remember correctly, i have only rolled with him 1 or 2 times, he doesn't train often

he has told us he lives with a machado blackbelt now and is getting free privates with him... i'll check into this further..

btw he is not in korea, he is in melbourne australia

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhhhhh! Nice!

Thanks Higher - let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

-Daniel

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heres a list of john's black belts

http://www.bjj.com.au/main/?page_id=13

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he has told us he lives with a machado blackbelt now and is getting free privates with him... i'll check into this further..

btw he is not in korea, he is in melbourne australia
    The source was named on MAP

Martial Arts Planet - View Single Post - Morra: John Will Seminar and his thoughts...

Thanks guys - appreciate the help. I am sure this thread "encouraged him" to do the right thing.

-Daniel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did a quick email to a bunch of club mates, the BB 'morra' claims told him is a legit bjj bb according to them (these guys are all blues and purples)

since this investigation seems to have fizzled do you need any more proof?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope - I am good - thanks HL.

Appreciate it -

-Daniel