Mtripp trained a pro MMA fighter?
    epic

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:28am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roe vs Wade,

If solidified and polerized the political differences between Democrates and Republicans, and the conservative and liberal aspects of society.

This pandering to those aspects on the vast spectrum of the electoriate, caused people to become intrenched on any and all decisions thay made, irrespective of the merits of the argument - whatever that argument might be.

How it affects MMA?

That led to Maccain and others conservative types to dig in their heels on the sanctioning of MMA fights across the US, and retarded the growth of MMA for an extra decade, thus depriving the MMA world of some supurb atheletes who went for other sports, with larger paychecks and fame, who if, the structure had been there would already have 10 years of training under there belt in whatever style.

The absence of an entire generation of fighters left a hole for Lesnar to come in and win the belt.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    Roe vs Wade,

If solidified and polerized the political differences between Democrates and Republicans, and the conservative and liberal aspects of society.

This pandering to those aspects on the vast spectrum of the electoriate, caused people to become intrenched on any and all decisions thay made, irrespective of the merits of the argument - whatever that argument might be.

How it affects MMA?

That led to Maccain and others conservative types to dig in their heels on the sanctioning of MMA fights across the US, and retarded the growth of MMA for an extra decade, thus depriving the MMA world of some supurb atheletes who went for other sports, with larger paychecks and fame, who if, the structure had been there would already have 10 years of training under there belt in whatever style.

The absence of an entire generation of fighters left a hole for Lesnar to come in and win the belt.
    I would argue it was less Roe V. Wade, but rather the broader LBJ/Nixon fight that lasted across the 60's. Disclaimer: I'm reading the fascinating Nixonland ( Amazon.com: Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America (9780743243025): Rick Perlstein: Books ) that frames Nixon and Goldwater as the central figures in the ideological fracturing of America that occurred during LBJ's 60's.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I think Ali had more popularity and because of his performances in and out of the ring he was able to convince lots of people that he embodied a great boxer; one that could represent boxing as a whole in style vs style matchups. Beating Ali in an early MMA match would have a greater effect on the average Joe than beating Spinks. I know Spinks beat Ali, but I don't think he went on to achieve the same notoriety of Ali. Having said all that, this is before my time and is just my speculation. Also I've heard that Spinks/Inoki was staged (I don't know, I haven't seen it), while Ali/Inoki was a real contest (sort of).
    From my recollection, the Ali-Inoki was quasi-worked (holds barred) but the leg kicks were real and I recall reading Ali was pissed and had leg injuries following the match.

Spinks-Inoki was pretty much a full work and Spinks quit in the match. The Spinks comment was a joke because, while Spinks did beat Ali, Spinks was lazy and didn't capitolize on his full potential. I had the opportunity to watch Spinks train for fight with Dwight Muhammad Qwai while Spinks was training with the Kronk gym. Tommy Hearns and Jimmy Paul happened to be training at the same time and the level of training Hearns and Paul were performing was at least twice that of Spinks.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, McCain's father-in-law owning the state of Arizona's Budweiser distributor business and the corporate sponsorship with boxing is what led to McCain's anti-MMA stance.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:53am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WUT? Teh king of beer was jealous of teh King of the Cage?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Actually, McCain's father-in-law owning the state of Arizona's Budweiser distributor business and the corporate sponsorship with boxing is what led to McCain's anti-MMA stance.
    I hate that fucking douchebag. Ten fucking years of reading play-by-play on the web and buying tapes of fights that happened 6 months ago.

That was a drag.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WUT? Teh King of queens was jealous of King of Kings?
    Fixed.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 11:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WUT? Teh king of beer was jealous of teh King of the Cage?
    Dollars, pure and simple. With the large Latin population in Phoenix, there is inevitably weekly Boxeo matches. Remember, this was a time when Michael Carbajal and Louie Espinoza were champs and bringing bigger matches to Phoenix, instead of to Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Big Bucks.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The period from 1993-1996 was something else. It was a hideous, glorious, beautiful, disgusting free-for-all. Everytime you watched, you got answers to questions you had for years. MMA is cleaner and "better", but NHB held my attention better. More empirical.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast