Thread: watsup

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

watsup

hey guys. ive been reading a lot of stuff on this site for a while now and decided to stop in and say hi. my names john, im 17, turning 18 in march and heading off to college.

i live on long island, and i see a few bullshido members do also. pretty cool. i study hapkido and moo duk kwan and will be testing for my 1st dan in both those styles in april. i have also trained in jeet kune do with a heavy muay thai influence for about 6 months.

i am going off to college soon and have been looking at some martial arts schools near the colleges i might be attending. so far i am having some pretty good luck as i found a judo club at one of the campuses and a kyokushin school only 10 mins away, so ill most likely do both of them.

the only thing is that there is also an isshin ryu school nearby and a bjj/muay thai/submission wrestling school about an hour away.

th only thing with the isshin ryu school is that the classes are only 45 mins long and i want to train longer than that. the bjj/muay thai/ sub wrestling school is pretty far awai and i would have to take a bus to get there.

so, i was wondering how you guys thought about a kyokushin/judo combo, plus my hkd, mdk, jkd training would be in a realistic situation?

thanks a lot for your help guys

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello french fri25,

Welcome to Bullshido.net

The kyokushin/Judo combo would be great for you and mixing it up with a heavy MT influenced JKD could be an asset.

The bjj/muay thai/submission wrestling school can also be good, but I personnally think that coming from the KMA scene, it would be better to start with JMA and add Bjj after the college years.

About mixing in Taekwondo and Hapkido, well it depends, if you have studied them with the same aliveness (read sparring against a resistant opponent) as you will do with Kyokushin and Judo, then yes you can mix them in into your personal style. If you haven't it's better not to mix techniques in. (Coming from someone who trained Taekwondo, Hapkido, Kyuk Too Ki and Hoshinsul for almost 2 decades)

The thing with Isshin Ryu Karate is that you will have schools in the range "from complete useless to Kyokushin-level". It depends from the teacher, while with Kyokushin a quality fighting level is standard for every club in that style.

Hopefully this info can help you.

Have fun, train safe and study hard (at college).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, thanks for the warm welcome. im surprised i havent been ripped on yet lol. umm, yea at my hapkido school we do do resistance training, but not all the time. usually we have compliant partners, but we will resist our oppponents after we prectice a technique for a bit.

as for sparring, we do a little bit of point sparring, which i hate, we do judo-like randori type sparring with throws and such, and we also do kickboxing. my instructor used to fight all over the place, and in madison square garden in the WAKO. so we spar full contact with him, although he does go easy on us, and students spar semi contact with each other.

my hapkido instructor is also a 2nd dan in jiu jitsu so we grapple every once in a while, but its not something we do every day.

overall i think im in good hands as our school focuses on self defense and we are not like other kma schools with their panzy no contact crap.

so yea, hopefully i can incorporate some of what i learned in my current arts to kyokushin and judo.

the judo club is at SUNY Brockport, where im probably going to attend, and the kyokushin club is called Gray Wolf Kyokushin. heres a link to the site and tell me what you think...

http://www.graywolfmartialarts.com/

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by french fri25 View Post
    the judo club is at SUNY Brockport, where im probably going to attend, and the kyokushin club is called Gray Wolf Kyokushin. heres a link to the site and tell me what you think...

http://www.graywolfmartialarts.com/
    I have send a PM to a member called fug to look at the link, he knows more about Kyokushin and the American federations.

I live in Belgium and their kyokushin clubs say if they are affliated with IKO(1) or IKO(2) (International Kyokushin Organization).

We always give a warm welcome and it just depends from you (what you post) if we make you one of the family or rip you apart limb from limb :wave:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I looked at the site and the opening blurb about the school being a safe place after school for your kids.. Hmmmmmmmmm, but then I looked at Sensei's picture (http://www.graywolfmartialarts.com/i...e_and_Karl.JPG) and felt better. He looks just like the guys in Hawaii where the young and old all have their gis soaked through. I've heard of this branch of KK - it's lead by Arneil who is a 100 man kumite grad and Manaco was head of KK under Oyama and is Sensei's teacher (I note that they call him Sempai - a ranking deal, in most karate he'd be Sensei). But really I have no idea if it's good. I've never seen and I haven't heard of any bad KK, and only one dojo that might have been mediocre, so the chances are good that it is legit and trains hard.

I think that Judo + KK is a match made in heaven.

french fri25 - haven't you heard that you're supposed to be called Fredom Fries? How soon they forget.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awesome, thanks dude

and yea, ill try not to say anything too stupid. im not in the mood to get my ass verbally kicked by u guys lol

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

hey thanks for the reply fug.

yea, i saw that picture too and it looks to me that they train hard. also, i think kk and judo is going to be a lot of fun. im so lucky that i found these arts so close together.

and yea, the freedom fri thing would have worked, but i didnt want to offend any of our savate members here :usa2:

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what his Korean Martial Arts background has to do with learning a new art. It wouldn't make sense to wait for the BJJ/Thai till after the college years because of that.

I'd say try them both out. You may find that you would rather do the Judo and Kyokushin mix because close to the campus, it might suck taking a bus all the time and costs money.

Im also from Long Island, I train at Vamos Jiujitsu (an MMA/NJJ/Muay Thai school). Whast school are you from?

If your interested there is going to be a pankration tournament in Patchogue on September 5th.