Thread: Salutations!

Style
    Atemi Ryu Ju-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Salutations!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to martial arts, but I'm finding it very interesting. I'm currently training at Atemi Ryu Jujitzu located in Hialeah, Florida. They teach a variety of martial arts and I'm in the process of absorbing it all. It's a great place, with great teachers who have a TON of patience.

As a pragmatist, I'm looking for martial arts knowledge that has a reasonable chance of being applied to real world situations; I do not have illusions of being a warrior or a soldier.

I get a kick (no pun intended) out of seeing representatives from different martial arts schools argue over which style is better or over which came first and what not.

I just see it this way: I'm a human being and I'm not limited in what I can learn (whether my body wants to cooperate or not). Somethings I'll learn are useful by themselves, somethings are not useful by themselves (they help indirectly), and somethings are useless. I wish to learn the useful regardless of whether it's from India, China, Japan, Korea, or anywhere else.

I'm not a skeptic, and I won't say "no" just because something sounds like BS. I like the scientific method and if there are "extraordinary claims" they will "require extraordinary evidence [proof]."

That being said. I'm glad I'm in the company of people who won't fall for BS, and if they do, have the courage to see past the deception and share their ideas in this forum.

Nuff said,
    Aldecoa

Style
    McDojo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings, fellow mostly newb.

http://www.atemi-ryu.com/pages/c_found.html

Sounds interesting,

Welcome aboard.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uchi-Deshi is the Japanese tradition of apprenticeship. The Master Instructor selects a dedicated promising student to live with, train and learn all the tools necessary to successfully pass on the knowledge and traditions of his art.
    Is your goal to be your own boss and successfully do what you love? Then this is the program for you. If selected you will reside and train with Grand Master Chenique.
    The curriculum includes: The Arts of Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Arnis, and Ken-Jitsu. Principles of Teaching, Training, Health, Fitness, Motivation, Business, Management, Marketing, Scheduling and Record keeping.
    Remember, people with goals succeed. There is no achievement without goals. The first step in accomplishing great things in life is to decide what you want. You plant your own dream with a goal. Then you must take action to make it grow.
    This program is designed to give you all of the skills necessary to successfully manage a Martial Arts School and reap all the benefits of Entrepreneurship.
    eeek. be careful about signing up for that one just yet....

Style
    McDojo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    eeek. be careful about signing up for that one just yet....
    Im quite sure, the original poster said nothing about Uchi Deschi or whatever.

That's just weird, unless you happen to be a japanese protege in the 17 th century or earlier.
    To the OP, just dont hand over any money beyond class fees, you'll figure it out sooner or later.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a quote from his school's website.

Style
    McDojo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Its a quote from his school's website.
    Gotcha, but the OP didn't mention anything about it, hence my post.

Kinda thought some alarm bells would ring, but then, we're not supposed to flame or defame newbs, correct?

Style
    Nin Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome I did some Atemi JuJutsu a while back great stuff.

Style
    Atemi Ryu Ju-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glad to be here.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and looking out for my interests although you don't know me--I respect that.

I've been attending Atemi Ryu Jujitzu for about a month and I'm very happy with the place and the people who run it.

As for the Uchi-Deschi/Menkyo Kaiden kind of thing, I don't need to worry about that because I'm nowhere near the level where I could be an instructor.

To give you guys a better idea of what my dojo is like I will post my initial observations. I understand that my limited point of view may not convey all aspects, but judging by the lack of information about the place, I think I'll be adding to the database of this website.

1. Nearly everyone there is a teacher. What do I mean by that? There are so many people there concerned about you getting the technique right that you never feel left out.

2. The classes are built around a central theme of the day and they explore a few variations of that theme per class. The variations are logical and can be molded to an individual's limitations.

3. Students are placed in semi-stressful situations where they receive contact every class. The small doses of adrenaline may be designed to build up tolerance for a real self-defense situation, but since I haven't been in one, I can't tell. (I guess I'll have to be in 15 situations to have statistically valid data).

4. Atemi is valued in Aikido. Does that mean it's more Daito-Ryu Aiki-jujutsu than Aikido? No, it's mostly Aikido, but the strikes don't ruin the flow as much as one would think. It seems to my fresh eyes that the strikes facilitate the movements.

5. The philosophical and mental aspects of the martial arts are addressed in a rational and practical manner. The little Zen Koans help you realize that martial arts should be grounded in common sense and a degree of cleverness to find solutions to problems.

6. Testing is not mandatory and the promotions are legit. I can see the difference is speed and fluidity among the different belts. No McDojo kind of thing.

7. You're able to attend any and all classes of the various martial arts without being charged more. I think this might be something fundamental coming from Florendo Visitacion's love for the eclectic.

8. Which leads me to MMA. They have an MMA class and like their Judo class they understand it's more sport oriented in that there are rules and limitations. They're willing to put their money where there mouth is and they have a few students in competition.

If there's anything else that you guys would like to know, please ask. So far, I like the place and can only say good things about it. I assure you I'm not brainwashed or easily fooled. I pay no attention to titles, I go by what I see. I like what I see in both the teachers and the students.

I'm not from the "show me" state, but I dig their philosophy.

Style
    McDojo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aldecoa View Post
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome and looking out for my interests although you don't know me--I respect that.

I've been attending Atemi Ryu Jujitzu for about a month and I'm very happy with the place and the people who run it.

As for the Uchi-Deschi/Menkyo Kaiden kind of thing, I don't need to worry about that because I'm nowhere near the level where I could be an instructor.

To give you guys a better idea of what my dojo is like I will post my initial observations. I understand that my limited point of view may not convey all aspects, but judging by the lack of information about the place, I think I'll be adding to the database of this website.

1. Nearly everyone there is a teacher. What do I mean by that? There are so many people there concerned about you getting the technique right that you never feel left out.

2. The classes are built around a central theme of the day and they explore a few variations of that theme per class. The variations are logical and can be molded to an individual's limitations.

3. Students are placed in semi-stressful situations where they receive contact every class. The small doses of adrenaline may be designed to build up tolerance for a real self-defense situation, but since I haven't been in one, I can't tell. (I guess I'll have to be in 15 situations to have statistically valid data).

4. Atemi is valued in Aikido. Does that mean it's more Daito-Ryu Aiki-jujutsu than Aikido? No, it's mostly Aikido, but the strikes don't ruin the flow as much as one would think. It seems to my fresh eyes that the strikes facilitate the movements.

5. The philosophical and mental aspects of the martial arts are addressed in a rational and practical manner. The little Zen Koans help you realize that martial arts should be grounded in common sense and a degree of cleverness to find solutions to problems.

6. Testing is not mandatory and the promotions are legit. I can see the difference is speed and fluidity among the different belts. No McDojo kind of thing.

7. You're able to attend any and all classes of the various martial arts without being charged more. I think this might be something fundamental coming from Florendo Visitacion's love for the eclectic.

8. Which leads me to MMA. They have an MMA class and like their Judo class they understand it's more sport oriented in that there are rules and limitations. They're willing to put their money where there mouth is and they have a few students in competition.

If there's anything else that you guys would like to know, please ask. So far, I like the place and can only say good things about it. I assure you I'm not brainwashed or easily fooled. I pay no attention to titles, I go by what I see. I like what I see in both the teachers and the students.

I'm not from the "show me" state, but I dig their philosophy.
    Actually, sounds a lot like Zen Do Kai karate I did as a kid.
    Few complaints, overall.
    Just wish they had a catch/as catch can/ wrestling school where I was to compliment it, or more jiu jitsu/judo, and better striking training, and dump the belt system.

You will do fine, learn what you can, and use it.
    Oh, and welcome!!