Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:43pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

break from training due to vasectomy

So I have gotten myself "fixed" last Thursday and have been informed that I need to take it easy on physical activity. Not sure what thread I should post this in, but thought YMAS for general discussion and to invite entertaining or humourous responses.

There were no complications, just some very minor bruising and discomfort. I don't want to lose the entire month of training but am thinking I can at least get back into it slowly. I think everyone prefers to avoid scrotal trauma regardless if they are recovering from minor surgery or not.

I train in traditional jiu jitsu, so the curriculum has throws, some hold escapes involving groin strikes. I could inform partners that I'm still recovering, maybe (Yuck!) sit out riskier activities (grappling/sparring.) I always wear a cup, train hard as I can with attention to control and learning the techniques. I have been training for a little over a year, close to green belt.

Have any of the bullies had this procedure done and taken a break from training? Any questions, suggestions and comments for how long to take a break and get back into training?

http://www.vasectomy.ca/
    Q. Can I waterski/ride horseback/snowmobile/bike/ride a motorcycle/do martial arts?
    A. The idea here is that you want to avoid trauma to the scrotum for 30 days after the vasectomy. If there is a risk of receiving a blow to the scrotum, wear a hard cup or don't do it for 30 days. There is no harm in exercising…just not if you're going to increase the risk of internal bleeding which will take you out of action for another month or two.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having had two myself (and a reversal)- which in my opinion is spending way to much time with some guy with sharp objects around your junk- I can say you'll want to give your self two weeks total for the healing process before going back to any "alive" training.

The first week, take it real easy. You don't even want your boys swinging free. Tear the tubes and your in for a world of hurt. The second week will ensure that a vast majority of healing will be done over and the stitches will either come out or dissolve.

After that, wear a comfortable hard cup and go at it. Avoid any activity that would have a shearing or or twisting effect on the boys.

After a month, it'll be like nothing has ever happened, except the likelihood of you getting anybody pregnant will be pretty slim.

FYI- use a condom until they test they put the semen under the microscope and make sure you don't have any swimmers....

Josh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Catfishin'!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't do it, just can't do it. Even when I shave my face and neck I shave UP...don't want a blade going anywhere near muh boys. Whimper!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recovery times vary widely. It can take a week, or six months. Some guys never go 100% back to normal. This doesn't mean you won't be able to train ever again, just that you shouldn't be surprised if you don't heal according to schedule.

Anyway, don't push it for the first week especially -- you just had your body cut open. Wear the jockstrap just to walk around, and use those frozen peas, they help a lot.

And yeah, don't assume it worked until the lab says it did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 3:30pm

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had it done about 30 years ago. The doctor had a problem holding on to the tubes, dropped one and had to go digging for it. Things were black and blue for two weeks but then all was well.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh god, Verne, that sounds so fucking bad. Oh god.

Oh god.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:41pm

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd take a week of doing absolutely as little as possible. Then, try jogging. Don't do anything more strenuous until that stops hurting. There's some very delicate structures you don't want to stress involved.

And you will be unpleasantly surprised.

As for the reversal, should you ever get one, the recovery time is SIGNIFICANTLY longer. The day after I had mine, (early March, this year) the post-op meds had me passed out on the bathroom floor with a split lip. Elvis-style.

That took as long to heal as the sutures. I'm still trying to dump the weight I put on.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo, WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah- Try not to get a reversal if you can avoid it. For me it was ten minutes for the initial, four hours for the reversal and another hour and a half for the second vasectomy.

Like I said, way to much time with sharp objects near the balls to ever want to repeat the experience...

Josh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:46pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do TKD....so a lot of kicking...

Take a week off. Then slowly work your way into physical activity. Took around a week, week and a half before I started to slowly train again in class. Sparring after about two weeks.

But I also have a high-ish pain tolerance. (Doctor was impressed =D ). Take it slow and don't push it. Its your junk, take care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 7:06am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely won't be going for a reversal, as the procreation activities are completed.

At this point, we just want to have fun with each other without worrying about those microscopic tadpoles swimming up or covering my dick up with the raincoat.

I would need to wear that medical jockstrap thing to keep everything in its place for any exercise for four weeks after. Was thinking of showing my girlfriend some kickboxing combinations Saturday morning and spending time going through those as cardio exercise for her and to ease myself back into training. I'm not much of a runner but that sounds like a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack View Post
    Take it slow and don't push it. Its your junk, take care.
    And perhaps a phone call just to update the vasectomy doc on what I'm doing may be helpful. Was quite pleased to read everyone's comments but it doesn't substitute for medical advice. I've rested everything for the first week so far but looking forward to ratcheting the activity level up again.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast