232828 Bullies, 3651 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 46
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Totemicist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    474

    Posted On:
    8/03/2009 4:07am


     Style: BJJ & K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Eric Von Lustbader was famous in the 80s mainly for his Nicholas Linnear Ninja series (THE NINJA, MIKO, WHITE NINJA) and some fantasy novels. He tried continuing the Ninja series inthe 90s but they sucked badly. He is doing a continuation of the Bourne books now.
    Oh god I had the misfortune of reading some of his fantasy novels when I was a little younger; proper psuedo ninja erotica fantasy wank all about time travelling demon bitches fucking people, killing them and then turning into a panthers and warriors chopping bees in half and ripping each others tongues out.

    The front covers should give you an idea:



    Classy!
  2. nifoc is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    527

    Posted On:
    8/03/2009 4:15am


     Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    ...oh. Say I take it the 80's books were good? I've never read a ninja novel. Is it all shuriken and tabis, or are there greater underlying messages?
    They're mostly ninjas with magical powers, surrounded by vivid descriptions of sex. I read the three first as a teen (15 or so), and I'm gonna go ahead and say it's the sex that sells these books. They weren't bad (IIRC), but not great books by any standard. Hell, one of the book had a pair of naked titties on the front of the paperback. I'm not talking a picture of a woman with her tits out, I'm saying that all you saw was the title, the authors name and a pair of tits.

    I guess the thing I am pointing out here is that I enjoyed them as a TEEN, probably because they had martial arts in them, and of course sex.
  3. vile_zoidberg is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ft. Drum, NY
    Posts
    358

    Posted On:
    8/03/2009 5:45am


     Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc View Post
    They're mostly ninjas with magical powers, surrounded by vivid descriptions of sex. I read the three first as a teen (15 or so), and I'm gonna go ahead and say it's the sex that sells these books. They weren't bad (IIRC), but not great books by any standard. Hell, one of the book had a pair of naked titties on the front of the paperback. I'm not talking a picture of a woman with her tits out, I'm saying that all you saw was the title, the authors name and a pair of tits.

    I guess the thing I am pointing out here is that I enjoyed them as a TEEN, probably because they had martial arts in them, and of course sex.

    ...so....these books are awesome?
  4. honesty is offline
    honesty's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,060

    Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:06am


     Style: SAMBO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. In the same way the Gor books are great fantasy novels...
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

    My Training Log
  5. Cy Q. Faunce is offline
    Cy Q. Faunce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,577

    Posted On:
    8/03/2009 10:51pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    Yes. In the same way the Gor books are great fantasy novels...
    "John Norman" managed to make sex and war boring. How does one do that?
  6. Stick & Submit is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    72

    Posted On:
    8/04/2009 2:31pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not lying when I say that I have a friend who used to be a Green Beret (c. 1980s-90s) and, from what I can gather, the primary styles they trained in were Hwarang Do (or Hwa Rang Do) and ... Wing Chun. I think there was some JKD in there as well, but my former Green Beret friend let me borrow his combatives books--

    Amazon.com: Knife Self-Defense for Combat (Special Forces/Ranger-Udt/Seal Hand-to-Hand Combat/Special Weapons/Special Tactics Series) (9780897500227): Michael D. Echanis: Books


    Amazon.com: Basic Stick Fighting for Combat (Special Forces/Ranger-Udt/Seal Hand-to-Hand Combat/Special Weapons/Special Tactics Series) (9780897500593): Michael D. Echanis: Books


    And then this book series on Hwarang Do--

    Amazon.com: The Ancient Martial Art of Hwarang Do - Volume 1 (9781884577000): Joo Bang Lee: Books


    Believe me when I say that my friend is one tough mother fucker (and actually a really good guy), but it really makes me wonder just how often the Green Berets and SEALs ever have to go H2H ... because I wish that I could say that the Hwarang Do books didn't have flying kicks in them that look like something out of a Jet Li movie...

    My point is this: the military isn't the best authority on MA...
  7. Southpaw is online now
    Southpaw's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,925

    Posted On:
    8/04/2009 4:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a few special forces guys...and my wing chun sigung has trained some of them in Fayettville.

    That being said...these guys typically train wing chun on their own and not in any way that is organized by the military.

    My bjj instructor goes down to Bragg 3 times a week to train SF guys in military combatives and bjj. So...actually the military is a pretty good authority on MA...since they actually need to use what they learn in combat situations.
  8. Sley is offline

    mr. Hobbes

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390

    Posted On:
    8/04/2009 8:47pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I know a few special forces guys...and my wing chun sigung has trained some of them in Fayettville.

    That being said...these guys typically train wing chun on their own and not in any way that is organized by the military.

    My bjj instructor goes down to Bragg 3 times a week to train SF guys in military combatives and bjj. So...actually the military is a pretty good authority on MA...since they actually need to use what they learn in combat situations.
    the special forces maybe a good authority but I've never heard any good about regular combative...
  9. Southpaw is online now
    Southpaw's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,925

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 1:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure as I haven't heard much...though I know my instructor is bad ass and he trains a bunch of SF guys who are tough as ****.

    One guy who came up to train w/ us is a BJJ black belt and has one several military combatives tournaments. He also fights for Strikeforce though I forgot his name.

    Anyway...my point is that he was unbelievable and watching him roll w/ people was scary. So...at least some people can make 'em work.
  10. Stick & Submit is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    72

    Posted On:
    8/05/2009 2:38pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD - FMA - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Not sure as I haven't heard much...though I know my instructor is bad ass and he trains a bunch of SF guys who are tough as ****.

    One guy who came up to train w/ us is a BJJ black belt and has one several military combatives tournaments. He also fights for Strikeforce though I forgot his name.

    Anyway...my point is that he was unbelievable and watching him roll w/ people was scary. So...at least some people can make 'em work.
    My friend (who is actually my mom's boyfriend, but I consider him to be a friend) did his training and missions in the '80s and '90s.

    I asked him if he and the other Green Berets at the time were being taught BJJ, and he said that they were not.

    I can't say this for sure, but it seems like the first teams to be taught BJJ were probably the SEALs when Paul Vunak had a civilian contract with them in the early-90s. Vunak had been training with the Gracies in California beginning in the late-80s, but now of course BJJ combatives are taught to everyone in the military.
    Last edited by Stick & Submit; 8/05/2009 2:49pm at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.