Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 5:44am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Artists leaving it all behind

Keith Schwartz, judo 5th degree black belt, and creator of perhaps the greatest judo instructional set ever, over 15 hours of video that is of impeccable quality (bar the 80s metal and mullets) back in 1994.

And what's he up to now?

http://www.myspace.com/lastdaysguitar

I used to be heavy into martial arts, holding both 6th degree black belt JuJitsu, 5th degree black belt Judo (since 1994) running the largest club in Minnesota for over a decade and coached many State champions, also did a judo video series that is still one of the biggest sellers online after over 15 years - but I gladly walked away from all that nonsense when God got a hold of me and showed me where the real battle is
    I mean, each to their own and everything, but there's something about that that makes me a bit sad. Calling judo 'nonsense' and devoting your life to a giant bearded wizard who lives in the clouds?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 5:55am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    Keith Schwartz, judo 5th degree black belt, and creator of perhaps the greatest judo instructional set ever, over 15 hours of video that is of impeccable quality (bar the 80s metal and mullets) back in 1994.

And what's he up to now?

http://www.myspace.com/lastdaysguitar

I mean, each to their own and everything, but there's something about that that makes me a bit sad. Calling judo 'nonsense' and devoting your life to a giant bearded wizard who lives in the clouds?

So this guy went from awesome, ball-ripping metal to Faith Hill? That sucks. For all of humanity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 5:59am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thrown on his head one too many times perhaps... its always frustrating to see a talented person redirect their efforts away from anything useful and towards crap like this. Who knows, maybe one day he'll realize Kano > Jesus and come back to the light :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This quote

FYI: blew out my knee pretty seriously after recording these (it never quite came back after surgery) and retired from coaching in 2001 so this series is probably the last of my legacy, I am still proud of it and hope it is beneficial to some of you!
    from this link (back in 2006)

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3662

might go some way to explaining it.

If I had spent my whole life doing something then go injured too bad to do it any more I'd probably go a bit mental too...

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gentlemen,

It is always a good idea to define terms before we speculate as to what is or is not.

The terms to look at are "Nonsense" and "Battle." We would have to know what he means by those before we can opine on the motivation and wisdom (or lack thereof) of his decision.

Mr. Schwartz did indeed put out an outstanding set of Video on Judo. I highly recommend them. Sadly, he was also on the front lines of the USJA battles, both internal and external. To make matters worse, he sided with Mr. Porter all the way. Loyalty can do that to a man; even when you know its not in your best interest.

All else would be speculation, and I will not indulge it, even though I have my thoughts. If his new found faith brings him comfort and peace, then God Bless him.

I hope he finds his way back to the tatami soon...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me too.

His videos really are awesome. Here's a link to them to give an idea of what's on each one.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=248&page=4

He's an excellent, eloquent teacher throughout and although I'm just a beginner in judo I've watched almost the whole thing and use it as my point of reference after learning new throws at my club.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Politics can take the heart and soul out of martial arts and they can creep in no matter how able you are at ignoring them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 6:52am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God takes our loved ones away from us all the time. Sometimes while they're still alive.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 9:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of giving it up, isn't the proper course of action when a person suddenly flips out and gets all religious to move down South and start "Judo for Jesus"?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask View Post
    God takes our loved ones away from us all the time. Sometimes while they're still alive.
    Put that on a poster with a picture of some crepuscular rays and maybe some birds flying and you got yourself one hellava inSPIrational poster!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast