Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:23am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now would probably be a good time to start working your core more aggressively, say in multiple movements per workout, considering your other options are limited. TGUs are great, but try doing extra stuff like planks, rotational movements (with a cable, a one-side-weighted barbell with its unweighted side in a corner, or with a medicine ball if you're laying down or something) and when doing rows (if you're using a dumbell) try doing them unbraced (ie don't lean on anything, use your midsection of keep yourself upright).
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Now would probably be a good time to start working your core more aggressively, say in multiple movements per workout, considering your other options are limited. TGUs are great, but try doing extra stuff like planks, rotational movements (with a cable, a one-side-weighted barbell with its unweighted side in a corner, or with a medicine ball if you're laying down or something) and when doing rows (if you're using a dumbell) try doing them unbraced (ie don't lean on anything, use your midsection of keep yourself upright).
    I'm going to add some core stuff. Particularly twisting, rotational movements. My abs are plenty tight though, so side bends with weights and twisting motions are the move here.

At the moment, I only do rowing motions with machines. But my back, which I have problems with due to flexibility, is feeling comfortable the deadlifts and whatnot, and I've been stretching, so I'm going to add dumbell rows and upright rows.

Also going to try some close-grip benching. And going to try doing the kettlebell press that Frank Shamrock is doing in his training clip where he's laying on his back with his hips elevated and twisting slightly into each alternating lift. Let me find that clip...

Here:

YouTube - Frank Shamrock MMA Training

I think with that stuff, I should be good for now. Coffee Fan as offered to send me some other stuff too, which I will happily share as long as he's cool with it.

Thanks again for all the input.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    8/04/2009 9:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try doing renegade rows if you think you're back's up to it. Or unbraced rows.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.

Posted On:
    8/05/2009 9:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Try doing renegade rows if you think you're back's up to it. Or unbraced rows.
    Renegade Rows:

YouTube - Renegade Row

Can totally handle these. Adding. Also, knew about them before but didn't know the name so thanks for that. Probably going to do them without the pushup, the bracing action should be enough work for the shoulder.

Unbraced Rows:

YouTube - Unbraced Reactive Rows - Muscle Building

Very cool. Gonna try these as well. But is there a particular reason he's doing a kind of catch and release thing at the end of his rep? Or is he just showing off?
    and listen to others,

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMf4q_tZW7U

Here you go JP, I'm sorry this took so long. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 5:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh you're the man.

Thanks very much for this, Coffee Fan. I'll start plugging this stuff in tonight when I hit the gym.

Again, thanks. I owe you a beer or something.
    and listen to others,

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the catch-release is to increase rotational torque (thus working your core harder?) or to deload at the top of movement? No idea man.

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 5:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post

I love [snip] turkish get-ups but I don't think my shoulder is strong enough yet to get the benefit from these exercises without making the problem worse. And the point of all this is really to grapple more.
    You don't need a shoulder to do TGUs. Get some sort of sandbag, fill with appropriate kgs of sand (20? 40? 60? whatever). Lie down, put it on your chest / maybe over your shoulder. Do your TGUs.

Other good ****:
    * Go outside, push your car around with a mate steering it.

* Get your sandbag out again. Put a bar at some nice height (squat racks are good for this, yeah). Put sandbag on ground. Bend down, lift it up, toss it over the bar. Walk over to other side of the bar. Toss it back. Endless fun. You can toss it sideways, forwards, backwards.

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 8:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NHB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JP,

I spent several years getting cortizone shots from my M.D. in the shoulder every few months and doing rehab every time I re-injured it. I finally found a chiropractor who is familiar with the Graston Method and ART. After about a dozen sessions, he repaired the damage from 30 years of martial arts and weight training + a serious car wreck. Google it up. It's definitely worth a try.

Good luck!

Ichi

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 7:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
    JP,

I spent several years getting cortizone shots from my M.D. in the shoulder every few months and doing rehab every time I re-injured it. I finally found a chiropractor who is familiar with the Graston Method and ART. After about a dozen sessions, he repaired the damage from 30 years of martial arts and weight training + a serious car wreck. Google it up. It's definitely worth a try.

Good luck!

Ichi
    Thank, Ichi. I'll look into it. I've not had the best luck with alternative therapies like chiro or acupuncture but anything's worth some kind of look.

Quote Originally Posted by rokker View Post
    You don't need a shoulder to do TGUs. Get some sort of sandbag, fill with appropriate kgs of sand (20? 40? 60? whatever). Lie down, put it on your chest / maybe over your shoulder. Do your TGUs.

Other good ****:
    * Go outside, push your car around with a mate steering it.

* Get your sandbag out again. Put a bar at some nice height (squat racks are good for this, yeah). Put sandbag on ground. Bend down, lift it up, toss it over the bar. Walk over to other side of the bar. Toss it back. Endless fun. You can toss it sideways, forwards, backwards.
    That's a good idea about the sandbags. After fucking up the shoulders again, I am going to go directly back to the drawing board for a few months and do only the rehab exercises for my shoulders.

Because I think I got back on the horse too quickly.
    and listen to others,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12