233663 Bullies, 3722 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to add to my work out.

Hey guys,

So, I've been out of training for the last two months because of tendinitis in my left shoulder.

I went to the doc, got the cortizone injection and finished physical therapy. My shoulder once again feels great. These past few weeks I've been lifting again and just got back into grappling training last week.

So I've done all the **** I'm supposed to have done to maintain my shoulder's health.

Here's my problem and my question:

It was my left bicep tendon that was the problem. So there are a host of exercises that were favorites of mine that I can no longer do. Pullups, push-ups, dips and the like all aggravate it. When I finally went to the doc the pain was so bad I couldn't reach my alarm clock in the morning.

My workout as it stands is the following:

cardio to warm up, usually treadmill sprints and rowing.

Then phys-therapy should exercises on the left shoulder only. I will start doing both soon, once I feel like they're a bit more even. I can feel the problem beginning on the right should too.

Then rows.

Then rolling shrugs.

Then deadlifts and squats.

I want to start adding exercises to the mix but I have to be careful not to involve my shoulder too much.

I love dumbell clean and presses and turkish get-ups but I don't think my shoulder is strong enough yet to get the benefit from these exercises without making the problem worse. And the point of all this is really to grapple more.

I was hoping some of you kind folks out there would be able to suggest some other exercises to me that I could toss into the work-out.

I'm mostly after weight training stuff that is similar to the squat and the deadlift. Things that improve athletic ability as well as strength.

My goal is to get as functionally strong and athletic as possible.

Sorry if any of this was dopey or didn't make sense. I don't know the right terminology for a lot of this stuff. And I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay,

So what the ****?

Was the question too stupid to even clown on or something?

Nobody even wanted to add a "shut the **** up you wannabe gym rat?"

No? Are those gay crickets I'm hearing out there?

Do I need to make an addendum to this post that details me actually hurting my shoulder because I was trying to jerk off with my left hand?

WTF?

Useless bastards.
    and listen to others,

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just don't know enough about fitness, PT or your specific injury to be any help.

I can offer this: Bummer dude.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey JP-

I just noticed this thread but I'm getting ready for work. I'll give you a proper response with my professional opinion tonight or tomorrow.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Hey JP-

I just noticed this thread but I'm getting ready for work. I'll give you a proper response with my professional opinion tonight or tomorrow.
    Thanks so much, man. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I just don't know enough about fitness, PT or your specific injury to be any help.

I can offer this: Bummer dude.
    Oh the injury is as good as it's ever going to get.

I just need to stay away from pushing exercises pretty much.

So it's a bit hampering.
    and listen to others,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:22pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so pushing AND pulling hurts you? that sucks.

how do high lifts feel? thats more neck/back than shoulders and is still a good functional pulling lift.

you can't bench? try butterflys. i've got a cast on my wrist/thumb and have been doing standing butterflys with cables.

i just started working good mornings into my workout. good for back strength and balance and every else in the gym will think you're a badass.

also, it uses your shoulders to stabilize but they don't do much work, try garbbing a bar and hold it in front of your hips and twist as fast as you can back and forth. great for core twisting/stability.

get on a stability ball. stability ball drills don't look like much work but you'll be sweating, believe me. Practice turns by kicking your legs through spinning from your back on the ball to your chest on the ball. Practice hopping on the ball on your knees and once steady try to pop up onto your feet. its fun and other people doing weak ass crunches on their stability balls will think you're either insane or a badass. then let the ball roll out from under you and work on rolls/breakfalls. all this is good for grappling.

do some tumbling. get a mat and work on falling back, rolling back on your neck and then throwing your weight forward and standing up. David Meyer calls these the rocking chair. After doing a few to warm up, I'll roll all the way back into a back handspring and stand up and then dive into a forward roll onto my feet and stand up and repeat. Its fun, gets you sweating, building functional ability, and a back roll onto your feet is a good out when you don't like the opponent's open guard position.
    Last edited by atom; 8/01/2009 3:32pm at .

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 10:59pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have a compromised bicep yet can still use a rowing machine for warmups? That doesn't quite make sense. Doesn't it hurt to row or aren't you pulling your arms towards your torso in the movement?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    so pushing AND pulling hurts you? that sucks.

how do high lifts feel? thats more neck/back than shoulders and is still a good functional pulling lift.
    Pulling is fine and most shoulder stuff is okay.

you can't bench? try butterflys. i've got a cast on my wrist/thumb and have been doing standing butterflys with cables.
    I'll check those out, but I have the suspicion that I want to avoid pushing as much as possible while I work to rehab my shoulder.

i just started working good mornings into my workout. good for back strength and balance and every else in the gym will think you're a badass.
    Good mornings are killer. I'm getting comfortable with deadlifts right now and I'm sure that as soon as I feel confident enough with my back, other exercises of the kind are going to get worked in.

also, it uses your shoulders to stabilize but they don't do much work, try garbbing a bar and hold it in front of your hips and twist as fast as you can back and forth. great for core twisting/stability.
    Good idea. I've done this with a broom stick as a warm-up for boxing. I'll try it out.

get on a stability ball. stability ball drills don't look like much work but you'll be sweating, believe me. Practice turns by kicking your legs through spinning from your back on the ball to your chest on the ball. Practice hopping on the ball on your knees and once steady try to pop up onto your feet. its fun and other people doing weak ass crunches on their stability balls will think you're either insane or a badass. then let the ball roll out from under you and work on rolls/breakfalls. all this is good for grappling.
    Just added these yesterday and love them. There's a boxing ring at my local gym and I got in there with the ball and did a bunch of stuff yesterday at the end of my workout. I looked like a bit kid in a playpen. It was cause for many strange looks from the soccer moms on the treadmills.

Paricularly worked on balancing, hip pressure and constant pressure while transitioning from position to position.

I'm a new convert for these. I can feel all the little muscles in my hips today.

do some tumbling. get a mat and work on falling back, rolling back on your neck and then throwing your weight forward and standing up. David Meyer calls these the rocking chair. After doing a few to warm up, I'll roll all the way back into a back handspring and stand up and then dive into a forward roll onto my feet and stand up and repeat. Its fun, gets you sweating, building functional ability, and a back roll onto your feet is a good out when you don't like the opponent's open guard position.
    Also good ideas often limited by space. But I can go to the 24hr gym after work at night and I'll have more space to play.

I'm going to attend a gynastica naturalle seminar next time it comes through town.

Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    You have a compromised bicep yet can still use a rowing machine for warmups? That doesn't quite make sense. Doesn't it hurt to row or aren't you pulling your arms towards your torso in the movement?
    My bicep is not compromised. It was severaly inflamed and leading to a great deal of physical pain because of the way I've spent the last several years training. In this case by ignoring a worsening injury. After getting the cortizone injection, I am now focused on not aggravating it again and strengthening all the other muscles in order to more evenly distribute the work my shoulder does.

So no, the rowing machine, and any pulling motions that don't come from overhead are fine.

Pull ups no good. And pull downs with a machine, I haven't tried yet.
    and listen to others,

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less weights and more body weight stuff. You always hear about guys getting hurt doing weights, very seldom with BW exercises.

I just got that wheel that you strap your feet into from Monkeybar gym http://secure.monkeybargym.com/cart/...&products_id=6

Nice piece of equipment. I'm liking the "perfect pushup" things too. I thought they were a bit gimmicky (the great thing about PUs is that you can do them anywhere without equipment) but they're actually pretty good and seem to take some strain out of the shoulder (should be good for you).

Great time to work on your kicks too.

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 4:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Less weights and more body weight stuff. You always hear about guys getting hurt doing weights, very seldom with BW exercises.

I just got that wheel that you strap your feet into from Monkeybar gym http://secure.monkeybargym.com/cart/...&products_id=6

Nice piece of equipment. I'm liking the "perfect pushup" things too. I thought they were a bit gimmicky (the great thing about PUs is that you can do them anywhere without equipment) but they're actually pretty good and seem to take some strain out of the shoulder (should be good for you).

Great time to work on your kicks too.
    Pushups are unfortunately off limits. They kill my shoulder.

What I do instead of ordinary pushups are pushups on 4lb medicine balls so that I do less of them but get more stabilization benefit.

And body weight stuff I save for my park workouts but they are indeed awesome.
    and listen to others,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast