Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 7:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK..... If that doesn't make you want to be there this weekend I quit.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 7:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the japanese name of that ski lift throw?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 8:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a Russian judo thing, so I am not sure there is an official "Kodokan" name for it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 8:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    OK..... If that doesn't make you want to be there this weekend I quit.
    I do but I work on the weekends. And Ohio is a bit of a commute from here.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:09am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Steve,

Then do this for me because it is so much more of a "Sambo" thing than a "Judo" thing.

Explain if you will, the idea of having various "outs" as you are going for something, and how that "flow" is trained. Also the idea of getting the grip on your feet, that you are going to need on the mat.

I am not sure if you have seen the off grip I am using; I think it is my sole contribution to the game. I find it easier to train people to get their left hand inside uke's left jacket side, rather than his right jacket side.

I will be making a better DVD, either this weekend or a few weeks later.
    IMO, any good martial artist (judo, Sambo, JJ, grappler, etc) should have several outs. Oftentime, the problem is that people memorize individual techniques and not principles of attack. When someone stick to learning tons of technique, but does not train principles, they have a hard time putting things together in transition. in other words...they associate a particular throw with a particular grip, or particular sub with a particular ground position.

I always tell my guys that principles of a throw (and sub) and movement of a throw (or mechanics of a sub) are critical in that just about any throw can be done from various grips (or any particular sub can be done from various positions). People will get stuck on "I must have this grip for this throw or sub". But, that is not the case. If people think this way, they will get stuck if they fail on the first throw (wich most do), and won't be able to flow to a second throw from the same grip.

One thing we do is to take a grip and run through all types of throws that can be done from there...flowing from throw to throw, or counter to counter. Not with resistance, but slower with intention of "improvising" and flowing between them. We will do the same with footwork say. OK, here's the footwork for hip throw or fireman's. Now, let's do it from various grips and angles. Same can be said for subs. There are only a few types of subs really. If people learn the mechanics of the sub, say a shoulder lock, then they can do it from wherever they see it...rather than connecting the sub in their mind to a particular position. We practice flowing through ground movement identifying where subs can be applied from natural occurances.

Yes, get the grip and keep it on the ground after the throw! We never practice throws without ground engagement. Sucks to nail a throw and lose your opponent afterwards. IMO, this is important for breaking the natural habit noobs have to let go of their grip and slow down their game. I think that people should always practice throws in conjunction with follow-up on the ground (like you did with the fireman's and hip lock).

I personally love grabbing the opposite lapel and sleeve! I find I get good leverage and shoulder control that way. It is easier to get that grip since the jacket is usually open...especially with kurtka, which are tighter. Just got to watch out for the Russian tie (2 on 1) counter grip.

I also train noobs to use Russian over the back grips in the beginning because if helps them learn to keep close and minimize distance during their throws.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta watch the rest of these vids later this afternoon...I can't wait!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:41am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Tripp - Thank you for posting these vids! I hope one day I can attend one of your seminars in the Southeast.

I have a question if I may - How does that hip-lock work? I love the entry, and could see it applied from other entries, but I can't figure the position on the ankle / heel. Is it straight behind your armpit? Is the heel outside your forearm? I get the lapel grip with your left hand to keep him close. Would it help you increase the pressure and control if you grab his belt with your right hand or is that un-necessary / incorrect?

Moose's squirming ad tapping show me it's clearly effective, but I guess I'm asking how you control below the knee to make it into a hip-lock as opposed to an ankle, knee, or heel attack.

I can figure some transitions into those other attacks as he moves to defend, but I've done virtually no hip attacks - sorry if I sound ignorant on this. I am.
    Last edited by tao.jonez; 7/28/2009 10:51am at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Mr Tripp - Thank you for posting these vids! I hope one day I can attend one of your seminars in the Southeast.

I have a question if I may - How does that hip-lock work? I love the entry, and could see it applied from other entries, but I can't figure the position on the ankle / heel. Is it straight behind your armpit? Is the heel outside your forearm? I get the lapel grip with your left hand to keep him close. Would it help you increase the pressure and control if you grab his belt with your right hand or is that un-necessary / incorrect?

Moose's squirming ad tapping show me it's clearly effective, but I guess I'm asking how you control below the knee to make it into a hip-lock as opposed to an ankle, knee, or heel attack.

I can figure some transitions into those other attacks as he moves to defend, but I've done virtually no hip attacks - sorry if I sound ignorant on this. I am.
    Think of it as a kimura of the leg.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast