Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 1:59pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    I don't watch that much, but my friend is really into MMA and also comments I how he never sees the upa being used and that they always do what were told not to do in class to escape. While the bumping is a bit more common, it still seems to be under used. Is it because those moves are just not worth trying on top level guys, like you would see in the UFC?
    Please re-read the thread, you have already been answered.

Upa works, keep drilling it. Stop looking for an excuse not to.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe because MMA != BJJ
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 3:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer another of your questions, a lot of guys tend to extend their arms because they'd rather have the guy on top go for an armbar then punch them in the face. With no gi on and covered in sweat it's not so easy to secure that armbar, and if the person escapes he's going to be on top.

Also, I'd point out that the really skilled guys don't usually resort to this stuff. It's just that in a lot of situations, if the person on the bottom gave up full mount then it's because the person on top is either a significantly better grappler or they're tired/hurt. Making a pretty escape just might not be feasible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 4:57pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Tito/Randy Tito was mounted but did a great job of bumping to keep Randy from raining down any sustained barrage of punches.

Mount with punches is a whole 'nother game really. It's preferable to give up your back and possibly get choked to getting pounded into TKO oblivion.
    Many guys are also very tired if they allow themselves to get passed and would rather try to hold the opponent down to avoid him posturing up to start pounding than to start hip bumping like crazy which takes alot of energy.

And I'm sure I've seen fighters rolling out of the mount on countless occasions but of course can't remember any specific instance for the life of me right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 6:08pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh and ufc 2 jason delucia vs scott baker... there's like 10 upa escapes in that fight.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 6:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best example I can think of is Hermes Franca against Spencer Fisher and Sean Sherk. He does really nice upas in both those fights IIRC.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    carlos newton versus matt hughes 1st time. not exactly an upa but some technical mount reversals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:10pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And when someone mounts you in MMA they´re generally either

A) much better than you since they passed your guard and fully mounted you. Good mounts are a bitch to deal with. I´ve been mounted by an ADCC champ. I know.

B) pounding you so silly either standing or on the ground that you´re incapable of much thought let alone of technique outside of "halp, get me out of here!".

:)

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the specific examples I will check them out, though the one from UFC 2 I don't care about as the ground game was not as develop then and I know the upa works very well against new grapplers or those not familiar with the escape.

The armbar being less of a threat I had not considered, and of course the no hitting to the back of the head makes turning to the back not as bad as real life, things are making more sense now.

I still don't understand why there are all those videos on youtube telling you do this or that escape FOR MMA when no seems to do them, at least don't call them high percentage, but perhaps outside of UFC or other top level organazations they might be high %. Are there videos about what they actully do in MMA to escape mount?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 3:20pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about fishing the foot? I see that one all the time in MMA and it's in the standard BJJ curriculum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast