Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been offline for a bit ... but I am assuming the Mods and Admin still want Style vs Style comparisons in YMAS or if it is an actually detailed study of techniques and/or body mechanics it would go in the appropriate sub forum ; either striking or grappling .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I can appreciate that you feel betrayed about your previous Wing Chun training but you are doing what most chunners do, over-thinking and analyzing topics without a solid basic understanding of the topic. Most of the references you made to "boxing,kb,mt" were flat out wrong.

Keep training hard in a martial art that trains in an alive manner, stop thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I can appreciate that you feel betrayed about your previous Wing Chun training but you are doing what most chunners do, over-thinking and analyzing topics without a solid basic understanding of the topic. Most of the references you made to "boxing,kb,mt" were flat out wrong.

Keep training hard in a martial art that trains in an alive manner, stop thinking.
    QFT, twice for emphasis.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:48am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I have been offline for a bit ... but I am assuming the Mods and Admin still want Style vs Style comparisons in YMAS or if it is an actually detailed study of techniques and/or body mechanics it would go in the appropriate sub forum ; either striking or grappling .
    The correct. I just get tired of "my art is correct therefore what you just typed is wrong."

If handled correctly, we can do style vs style like the chi sau vs push hands thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough Solvalou, it just appeared you were imitating who you thought I was by stating boxing beat WC just because its boxing. Bit difficult to tell sometimes over the internet if its mocking of someone else or self deprecating humour. That aside, the very mention of unleashing modern trained ninjas after me would send me running for the hills. They would either breakfall me to death, wrist lock me to death if I just so happened to protect myself from them by grabbing onto their Gi lapel, or bamboo shinai me to death (self deprecating humour - I regret to say it, but I am also a ninjer).

Sang, I never stated that I knew nothing about b, kb, or mt. I said I knew nothing about the differences in footwork between them. The only thing flat out wrong you've pointed out is that kb also knees, but thats not the point of this discussion, whether kb knees or not has no bearing on the argument. I take your point about boxers etc having other options when it comes to blocking punches. I will undoubtedly learn more about this in future. If anything, it seems the more I learn about boxing, the more it appears to me a real martial art with a complete system for not only throwing punches but dealing with ones coming at you - not simply "designed to be not a fight, but an endurance test" (quoted from my ninjer teacher). And if anything, this added information will prove my points for boxing being superior to WC even more.

I may have sounded long winded about it all, but the gist is this:

WC: Do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that, stand like this, don't strike like that - or you'll get owned (or as some like to say KTFO).

Then you look at what everyone else is doing and its another planet.

Just seems boxers have a bit more "leeway" in their styles, and the ability to add their own style into the boxing and make it work for them. Perhaps part of the reason for this is that WC is designed not as a ring fighting system but as a self defence system to neutralise a non WC practioner (ie, a street attack). Boxing appears to create a better fighter, broadly. Now the big question: is being a better fighter better for street self defence, or is using a street self defence system (that's largely unproven in NHB style vs style) better for street self defence? I'd personally take boxing for the practical side and the street self defence system for concepts, an obvious one being multiple attackers (I would add exploiting the blindside, but it would appear this is also used in boxing, etc... circling your opponent?).

There's also another argument and thats that in MMA bouts, that close range where WC appears to have so much use (Chi Sao range I'll call it), is never actually used (I admit I saw this argument on another board, kudos to whomever thought of it). There its either belting away with long range, deliver maximum kinetic energy into your opponent type striking, or its clinching with knees and elbows backed up against the octagon wall (on the street, this could be a parked car, fence or brick wall), then of course takedowns, ground and pound, and submissions.

Well thanks a bundle Kagan for quoting Sangs post to me twice a second time, I had already responded to it. For the stop thinking bit, its akin to stopping the floodwaters if the Aswan Dam gave way. There's a certain point in the martial arts where you're just so hooked and that's why we're all here, otherwise, Bullshido wouldn't exist and there'd be nothing to talk about. Personally I think the quest to finding the best training methods/systems to hone one's skills in saving one's life or a loved one's life on the street in an honest and scientific way to be a very worthy pastime indeed.

As for the alive training, well my neck region and windpipe is still feeling the effects of multiple hard RNCs my teacher got me in during last nights Ne Waza. I did get him in one ankle lock to submission and a pretty good headlock he took (what seemed like) minutes to get out of. I'm all for alive training.

Finally moderators, please put this where you feel it is necessary. I just posted it here in CMA because WC is the style I have the most experience with. I'm a noob and you must admit these posting rules are complex to say the least.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12