Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    #1 - Hands on the mat. This is something I KNOW wrestlers do alot.
    Ha. That's one of the first things I clean up on people.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICY

Not to turn this into a gi vs no-gi debate, especially if you're training for a fight no gi makes sense, but in the long run Upa (to paraphrase) said it best

No gi tightens up your attack and gi your defense, it sounds like you are making defensive mistakes of posture and such.

I am curious to see you train gi at some point and if it helps the holes you feel you have

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 2:09pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a JJJ/SAMBO guy, one of the biggest things I have to remember when playing with BJJ folks is patience. We tend to play a bit quicker, and have less of a focus on closed guard. If I'm playing with a decent BJJ player, I have to constantly remind myself to take it slow, improve my posture, work on countering their grips, etc. Trying to quickly clear their guard without being very conscious of your posture, the grips they have, and your hand placement will quickly get you subbed.

Just slow down and take the time to analyze what is going on. Be methodical. Have a plan of attack, and stick with it. Don't try to just power out of their guard. It won't work, especially in gi when they have grips. Explosive flailing will just present opportunities for them to attack.

Obviously get some good coaching. That's first and foremost. But just being patient and methodical can improve you from sucking horribly to being not-too-terrible.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night at judo I got totally owned by a 14-year old girl about half my size during newaza*, in front of her parents. She was a blue belt and I just a white but I still feel like I got my testicles cut off and fed to me before a baying crowd.
    I saw Sarah Kaufman rolling, I'm afraid to roll with her, I've never tapped to a woman before, but I think she's better than me.

I got this this morning. I odn't know if it helps. It is not grip specific.

http://beginningbjj.com/lesson-BJJ-G...-Mistakes.html

#1 - Hands on the mat. This is something I KNOW wrestlers do alot.
    I suck, but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    No gi tightens up your attack and gi your defense, it sounds like you are making defensive mistakes of posture and such.

I am curious to see you train gi at some point and if it helps the holes you feel you have
    Me too. I think after my fight I will try it. I might even in a couple week from now. I only have a Judo gi, but whatever, I'm not buying a fucking BJJ gi yet. Those things are expensive (I've never paid more than $25 for a Judo gi yet, I have two and together they costed $30).

Just slow down and take the time to analyze what is going on. Be methodical. Have a plan of attack, and stick with it. Don't try to just power out of their guard. It won't work, especially in gi when they have grips. Explosive flailing will just present opportunities for them to attack.
    Actually, I found that explosive flailing from the bottom was as successful as anything else was. But my game IS slow and methodical, normally. I try to be careful and setup my sub combo and then execute. I fucked up massively in that area. Next time I will be patient.

Obviously get some good coaching. That's first and foremost. But just being patient and methodical can improve you from sucking horribly to being not-too-terrible.
    Agreed.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 7:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice thread.

one thing, if your training is going to be so infrequent, i'd be taking notes after each lesson.

i'm impressed that you are prepared to drive a total of 6 hours driving to get to one class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 8:42am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ICY
    I saw Sarah Kaufman rolling, I'm afraid to roll with her, I've never tapped to a woman before
    Tapping to a woman gets easier with time. Forget your ego. If you train Judo, or BJJ, or whatever, you do so because you know that it can allow superior skill to overcome natural attributes like strength, size, and power. If a girl who's better than you at [insert martial art here] can't beat you, you shouldn't waste your time training it!

I will openly admit (in here. Not on my facebook page or anything though) that I tap to girls regularly. And not because I'm being nice/taking it easy/underestimating them. Because they can legitimately catch me in submissions. You'll get over the fear. Just go up to whatever woman you plan to train with before you start training and hold out your arm/collar and say "okay, just tap me once before we start so I can get over it and we can have a nice roll."

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 9:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    nice thread.

one thing, if your training is going to be so infrequent, i'd be taking notes after each lesson.

i'm impressed that you are prepared to drive a total of 6 hours driving to get to one class.
    What he's doing now is not unlike what a lot of guys have done for awhile. My instructor used to drive several hours every weekend or every other weekend for privates and seminars. After awhile he started working out with his buddies and they all trained together (poorly by his account). Eventually he got to the point where he started a school and eventually had enough guys training with him and pushing him where those frequent trips weren't needed anymore.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget your ego. If you train Judo, or BJJ, or whatever, you do so because you know that it can allow superior skill to overcome natural attributes like strength, size, and power.
    I wrestle, and I KNOW that power is more important than skill in wrestling. Skill certainly matters, but beyond a basic level, enough strength WILL overcome, because so many wrestling moves are power moves. In BJJ, it's not as important.

What he's doing now is not unlike what a lot of guys have done for awhile.
    Yeah, and I wouldn't be so enthusiastic, except that Adam seems like a pretty awesome guy. He offered to let me and my buddy stay at his house when we go down there. When I asked him what he wanted to be paid he said "It isn't always about the money". He talked to us as peers and equals (we're not, not even close), like we were already friends.

I've also been very impressed by his fighters. They're a step above everyone else in the area, with a few individual exceptions. They come well prepared physically and technically to every event. It isn't that they're all spectacular, there are widely varying skill levels, but they all come prepared to execute a well-put-together game plan that is suited to their attributes. THAT is awesome, I think, to be able to come up with completely different game plans, and train to have different styles, for different fighters and have them be successful.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 1:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "setup my sub combo and then execute" I wonder about this part. If you mean combo like move 1-2-3 that will probably never work with good BJJ players. You need options after every defense and committing your mind to ONE next move instead of three or so options will make you obvious and get you caught.

If that's what you meant anyway feel free to ignore my rambling.

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 2:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    What he's doing now is not unlike what a lot of guys have done for awhile. My instructor used to drive several hours every weekend or every other weekend for privates and seminars. After awhile he started working out with his buddies and they all trained together (poorly by his account). Eventually he got to the point where he started a school and eventually had enough guys training with him and pushing him where those frequent trips weren't needed anymore.
    So many good schools/gyms started this way: one or two guys going out to get training and bringing it back to the rest and everybody pooling their resources to keep it all going.

Out here, the Lion's Den was basically that, Rocha BJJ was a group of students who put up money&leased a space to make sure that Eduardo Rocha would stay in the States, there's more but I can't remember it off the top of my head...hell, even with us it's been me getting as much Russkified training as I could and 5-6 of my mates keping it going/finding anew space to train in etc.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast