Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swept some people on Saturday without using my hands just to see if I could (I could).
    Sweeps and defending them aren't about grips, they're about posture, base and balance; you know that. How do foot sweeps or throws work standing?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dokomoy
    Keep in mind that in BJJ, even if you start from the knee's, standing up is perfectly reasonable, just so long as you don't do it with the intention to disengage.
    That sucks...because it's a common tactic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel
    Since you left ISFA, what have you been training for ground?
    Training with other guys who left that place. Me and one of those guys started our own club in 2004 (me being his assistant instructor, I guess, it was really disorganized). In 2007 I started training with another group of former members of the ISFA school, as well as the one I instructed at (which sucked balls at that point, BTW). In 2008 we merged with the Comox Valley Boxing Club and classes got structured. I started teaching a regular class schedule when that happened and started taking the occasional private with the instructor at the other club (because he's way better than me and with the specific idea that he was teaching me to teach) I haven't done enough of that, but there's just no time, shitty but true.

From 2001-2006 I did a lot of guard pulling. It was my favoured way to go to the ground because it's easy and let me work my subs. This was starting standing, BTW, I would just pull guard.

From 2006-2008 I started trying to be a better wrestler, but sucked for a long time because my base and transitions were shitty.

From 2008-present, I've mainly worked on wrestling better. Ignoring the guard and most submissions to go for superior position and then go for the odd keylock or choke from the top. Relying on slow application of power moves, which sucks in its own way.

Recently I've been trying to dial down the amount of powering through moves and increase my explosiveness from the guard. That's very recently, because I was stuck in a rut for the last year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Even though I am on hiatus as moderator, I would prefer that this thread be left in the AGD forum.

Also, "I told you so." or "BJJ is the greatest!" comments will not be tolerated. Constructive advice only please.
    Thank you for being you. I love you, man.

Tao makes some good general suggestions, something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    1 - Don't start knee wrestling. Like you said, it is not normal to really fight from that position. Once you start, one of you should pull guard or start from a certain position, or start from standing.
    Um...this is me, douchebag nobody crappler, going into the best school on the island...I'm not gonna tell them how to run their class.

As for your suggestions, they are decent, they're exactly what I tried, and they failed rather miserably. No insult taken though, it's what I'd've said to me if I didn't know better.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Upa
    I swept some people on Saturday without using my hands just to see if I could (I could).
    Sweeps and defending them aren't about grips, they're about posture, base and balance; you know that. How do foot sweeps or throws work standing?
    Timing and balance. ****. Thanks.

You just made me realize that I did a bunch of stuff just to see if I could. I was grappling like a white belt, I made a bunch of mistakes that I know are mistakes and they got exploited. I felt like I had to engage...I don't even know why, I guess I was nervous when they didn't come at me, so I went at them. Instead of waiting for opportunities to present themselves, I tried to force every issue.

Damnit.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that weight and posture are extremely important, grips are also extremely important, but you need to have a plan to use them once you've got them. Grips that aren't used are a liability, as they can leave you open to being swept.

The important thing is to have a gameplan i.e. you get to a comfortable, safe position with good posture such as killing one of his feet between your legs. Then you MUST have a guard pass that you know the grips for. You should have your opponent reacting to you, not you reacting to him. So set up your grips, control his legs and hips and pass.

Any controls you can get on his legs that point his knees away from you is good, as you're killing his guard.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 1:27am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you end up NOT doing BJJ for so long? Due to location?
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS View Post
    Given that weight and posture are extremely important, grips are also extremely important, but you need to have a plan to use them once you've got them. Grips that aren't used are a liability, as they can leave you open to being swept.
    Yeah, obviously you can use grips to manipulate posture and balance on both ends. It just seemed to me that Cracky was being a little myopic about it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Especially against someone so advanced, there is a shitload to learn from seeing/feeling how they react to your moves. If I'm against a real BB and I know I'm basically going to never submit them in my entire life, I'll try the same pass a few times and see where I fail, where I might succeed and what changes I might try.

Especially if I think I have something "new" this is a great time to figure out if I'm onto something or merely deluded.

Just that is a huge study. I love working with/against skilled people.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    If I'm against a real BB and I know I'm basically going to never submit them in my entire life
    :5huh:
    I've subbed browns and I sure as **** will submit blacks before I'm done.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    :5huh:
    I've subbed browns and I sure as **** will submit blacks before I'm done.
    Actually, I'm thinking of one in particular. I don't know that I'll ever catch up to him...but I ain't quit yet!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UpaLumpa,
    I completely agree. Grips without balance and posture are useless. Grips that do nothing are also useless. I also agree that when passing, posture and balance take priority over grips. Rolling with someone who has great posture is extremely difficult - you can't get proper grips - e.g. deep in their collar - to start with, and your opponent feels so much heavier and immovable.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast