Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 7:31pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Thanks, all. :icon_bigg

I've been slowly getting back in KB over the last few months, but when I decided to attend the Throwdown, I had my decissive moment.
    And to clarify, I am not yet an ex-chunner, and I'll surely spend some more time with my pals there on occasion, but my intent to learn the system up to a master degree is definitely cancelled in favor of, finally, a legit karate bb.

Apart from that, I felt it would be a good moment to write, because:

1. You people on this website have really helped making my life better!

2. With all the trash that has been going on lately, I want put out how much I appreciate the work that is done here. Even if we disagree, I think I learned a few things over the last few years:

Many martial arts practitioners boast about their supposedly higher ethics, their moral superiority and their honor.
    But those that really have those traits, those that do not only train to impress others, those that want to keep their sport clean of con-men and notorious liars, - those people sooner or later end up here,
    talking the dirty talk, fighting the phony ones, and exposing the frauds.

Kudos to everyone!
    Well I'm sorry you didn't receive what you wanted in your wing chun training. It's not for everyone, I'ms lowly realizing that now. Some poeple just aren't made to liek the way it works, that's cool though. I wish you luck in your further training and in finding a new karate or MMA school. Though eb warned. Most MMA schools have a very very strong focus ont eh ground. Every single MMA school I have seen so far here that preaches MMA in general is abover average in ground training and takedowns but not as high in striking. If you consider yourself a striker I would learn folk or freestyle wrestling and work on your takedown defense along with either hard sparring karate, sanda, or muay thai.

Personally I reccomend muay thai. I've been doing it for awhile and I love it, you will also find alot of things that translate well from your wing chun training so you'r not totally in the dark about checking and some of the footwork.

Oh and good luck at the throwdown!

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 7:33pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, my name is Battlefields, and I'm a Martial Arts-aholic. Its been six months since my last LARP and thanks to Bullshido Anonymous, all of you, I believe I have the strength to kick the habit for good.
    I remember my first LARP like it was yesterday. I was only training a couple of days a week at first, doing forms, punching and kicking air, yelling at the top of my lungs in order to "unleash ki", all the time thinking nothing sinister was going on.
    Soon I began training poomsae at home, researching the hidden powers of ki cultivation and before I knew it I wanted my instructors knowledge who were holding out on t3h s3cr37 d34d133 techniques. My hunger for Black Belt became insatiable, illogical, unbearable.
    I was hooked and paying ridiculous sums of money in order to satisfy the cravings for the next belt. Gradings, extra training sessions at a cost, monthly direct debits. It didn't matter that I knew what I was learning would fail me in real life violence. I was blinded by the Black.
    At first I was happy when my instructor told me he wasn't going to give me more than I could handle, that he wanted me to be able to master my "addiction" before he gave me more. But I became strung out, he was holding out on me, like what he was giving me was a trickle in order for me to keep coming back for more, spending cash I didn't have.
    I think the moment I knew I had a problem was when someone told me I shouldn't kick so hard, that the bag/ opponent should be tapped with my foot, not destroyed with my shin. This was not my instructor, but a higher grade student nonetheless. It made me realise that my once heavy right leg was now accustomed to "chambering", it had lost much of its power.
    I felt sick, even when I tried to swing a kick from the hips, the repeated LARPing had rendered it useless, my knee was bending of its own accord. I needed to get out.
    Then the fantasy began crashing around me, I realised that the person teaching me combinations knew nothing of combinations/ head movement/ fighting in general, the person teaching me self defense had never been attacked on the street, that the real techniques I yearned for WERE being held back from me and that if I was to ever fight any of the black belts at the school, I would not only be certain to be victorious, but it would be in such a fashion that I could be deemed a sadist.
    That's when I began to seek help. Thats when I found Bullshido and sought and sourced a number of BJJ academies and found my old Muay Thai instructor in order to help me wean off the horrible LARP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 7:43pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff indeed and great post. Still feeling my way around here but happy to see many like-minded MA's here!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:21am

Style: Choy Lee Fut, Sanda.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh wow, guess I can contribute as well regarding myself on this group therapy session. I'll make it short:

I was a Ninjer. But when I say a Ninjer, I mean a real Ninjer. I loved the myth around the "secret" art of Ninjutsu. I researched it. I started learning concepts, drills and gibberish Japanese terms for every single technique almost religiously. Soon I found a Genbukan school... I trained as hard as I could in even the most basic techniques which I already knew. I put my training before anything else, and at the time I spent all my allowance on training alone. In one year of constant training and attending my dojo, all I had learned compared to what I already knew was how to fucking bow properly according to whichever fucking style (pardon my potty mouth) I was 'training' in at that time. Every single technique had a beginning (stepping forwards in an almost robotic-like manner and bowing accordingly), a middle part (stepping forwards, engaging the enemy in a stupid manner, falling down like a retard), and an end part (the opponent pointing at you in a super cool stance as you stood up and took a similar stance. You would then step forward again, bow, and step back). If you missed any subtlety within those parts, such as a wrong step forward or an inappropriate way to bow, sensei would stop you and correct you. And you would have to start over again with the whole ceremony before you could get any fighting done. Even as a Ninjer, I then realized Genbukan was a smelly hunk of systematically trained ****, and that I should go back to the Bujinkan, in a dojo that previously refused me training there as I was too young.

There I was actually happy. People were relaxed, Sensei didn't even care or focus on gradings much but rather on the student's personal knowledge (and took note of people's movements, and if he saw improvements he would award you a new grade over time). Besides a lot of physical training being done, I also loved the "food for thoughts" that Sensei gave us after every session. He would gather people right before 'bowing out' to end the class, and discuss different concepts in the martial art or topics of concern to people. ****, this is getting long...
    Long story short, I was made a happy Ninjer in the Bujinkan... 0 physical conditioning, 0 sparring, 100% LARP goodness.
    I still sparred with a friend of mine on a regular basis (he studied TKD and Karate, and also practiced Kung Fu 'part-time'), but although I was sure our *****-contact sparring was benefiting us both, I was soon proved otherwise.

I decided to get some more training done, to be all rounded. So I joined my friend's Kung Fu school as I've also heard of how d34dl3h Kung Fu was. Imagine that, a Kung Fu Ninjer... Doesn't get any better than that, does it?

First class, Sifu worked me like a little bitch. I kept up, I admit it, I wasn't unfit despite all the LARPing. Or rather, my stamina sucked, but my will dragged me forward. I loved the training though, it was mainly focused on pushing us hard rather than learning fancy techniques. Coming to think about it, I didn't learn jack **** on those first classes, just conditioning.
    Later on during training, we had the sparring session. I put on some gloves in a very weary manner (I was still sure sparring was wrong, because I couldn't unleash t3h d34d13h Ninjutsu on my foes to annihilate them), but I was nonetheless excited. A new experience at last... fighting someone without him freezing in the middle of his overly committed attack! Now that's a change.

The outcome of the fight? I got punched around like a little bitch. Ichimonji no kamae? Ended up getting my gloves to 'bounce back' on my face all the times with its over-extended guard. I tried lunge-punching too. LOL the results weren't too pretty. My Sifu was smirking at that time, but then he decided to help me out. He stopped the round, told me why I was getting constantly punched on the face like a tard, taught me a more compact guard used in CLF/Sanda, and then told me to work from that. Round 2 was much better. I was moving around as he told me to (not staying static in a very wide, rooted stance which can easily be broken), I was using the guard to protect me. Throughout the 2nd round, I only got punched once. I dashed out quite a few attacks which hit the target without giving myself away.
    After the fight I was actually very happy and sore at the same time... I realized t3h d34d13h was not as deadly anymore. The stances were flawed, the strikes even worse. I would have probably fought better if I didn't use Ninjutsu at all, and if I relied on my instincts. I argued in a respectful manner, not wanting to accept that this was how a fight would have really gone. I claimed that with gloves I could not stop a punch and used a d34d1y wrist lock of d00m on my opponent. My Sifu smirked, I think he understood that I was still living in a fantasy world full of Ninjas, Samurais and Demons. That night I did a lot of thinking with whatever brain cells were left unbeaten... And decided to 'empty my cup', so that I may start to learn how to fight from 0. I temporarily stopped training in the Bujinkan and focused on Choy Lee Fut.

Anyways, a few weeks pass... My Sifu starts to like me for a reason still unknown to me. So we ended up spending lots of time training 1 on 1. I soon learned many advanced concepts on Choy Lee Fut, gained more knowledge in Chin-na seizing (I used the term "gained more" because I surprisingly already had some knowledge given to me by Ninpo, yeah I actually found the LARP useful for this), and got trained and tutored in Sanda techniques, strikes, sweeps, takedowns, etc.

And now here I am... a badass Kung Fu Ninja fighter who is going to fly to compete in China in 3 days time. And of course get my ass kicked. But whatever. If it'll help me improve like it did before, I'd be more than glad to get the beating of a lifetime.

So you may ask, what does Bullshido have to do with anything here? Well, that night after I got slapped back to reality, I was doing some research on the internet. Watched youtube videos of real fights, then watched bujinkan training. Why did it all look so different? I stumbled across a few threads on Ninjers on this board, and how their lack of aliveness in training renders most of what they do as useless as a cock flavoured lollypop. Slowly and painfully, I was getting my eyes opened on the reality of a fight. And it didn't seem pretty at all. But nonetheless, it somehow felt awesome to be able to question that once so high and mighty authority of Soke. Thanks to the threads I was reading on Bullshido, I started a rational thinking process going within me, rather than a cultist way of practicing and viewing an art. I broke free of the Ninjutsu LARP dreamland and got my feet down to the crude, yet awesome reality of combat.

Hell, today I can't even remember how many different ways to bow there were, which foot to step forward with initially, which foot to turn around, which hand goes down to the floor for bowing in seiza no kamae, which side of the body the sword should be in... well, you get the idea. But you know what? I don't fucking care. I'm learning how to fight now, and bowing isn't going to help me survive and much less kick my opponent's ass.

Morale of the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG story (made as short as I could!):

Sometimes it takes a bully punching you around to make you realize how much of an idiot you've been for the past years of training, however many they may be. It's up to you whether you want to argue against facts with mysticism, or whether you accept reality and start training from scratch.

Thank you for allowing others to use their brain through the use of force and mockery, Bullshido. I hope one day I will be able to punch yet another LARPer around and make him see the light as others did to me. :bully:

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good for you rafe.

i hope other chunners read this and that it at least makes them THINK.
    i was lucky i guess, i never drank the kool-aid, when i stumbled upon this site i was like:' hey there's more like me! awesome!'

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:52am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had shuffled off the mortal chun coil before I came here but I find at least one thing informative and one thing genuinely funny every day so it keeps me coming back. So props all round.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iga Ninjer View Post
    Oh wow, guess I can contribute as well inappropriate way to bow, sensei would stop you and correct you. And you would have to start over again with the whole ceremony before you could get any. etc etc etc

Say, where is this clf/sanda school?
    i think i know what tournement you're going to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:06am

Style: Choy Lee Fut, Sanda.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    Say, where is this clf/sanda school?
    i think i know what tournement you're going to.
    We're based in Canning Town in London, at my Sifu's Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine shop. We also rent two courts at the East Ham Leisure Centre on Fridays for the hard qigong class which requires enough space to run and jump around.

The tournament I'm going to attend in China should be around GuangZhou, but to be honest with you I've no idea what it's called or who it's organized by. We're doing everything at the last minute, and my instructor's Sifu is actually going to sneak me in the programme somewhere even though registrations are supposedly closed. All I know is that I'll have to be in GuangZhou by the 10th of August, and that the tournament starts on the 13th if I'm not mistaken.

Are we talking about the same tournament? Do you know when the one you're talking about starts?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really nice to hear that story.

Respect.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iga Ninjer View Post
    And now here I am... a badass Kung Fu Ninja fighter who is going to fly to compete in China in 3 days time.
    Is there a Sanda event in China now? That's weird, with the World's being in Canada this year. Which event?

Good luck!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast