Posted On:
    7/26/2009 10:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just Breathe – Why BJJ

So what’s so special about BJJ for me?

Is it the image of being a bone breaking badass? Come on please I am a 37 year old bald father of three

Is it the pretense of doing something that MMA fighters do and hobnobbing with real athletes?

See previous answer

So what attracts me to BJJ.

It’s the fight to breathe, It's that point at the end of the class during rolling after 20 minutes of being exhausted having some 230 pound goon get side control on me applying shoulder pressure and being totally gassed out and wanting to quit.

But not quitting, simply focusing on breathing, create space, breathe, get my hips under, breathe, recover half guard, breathe, sweep or recover full guard, breathe, go for a sub or a sweep and breathe.

In a life where things like, taxes, kids, parents health, the economy and a million other things can overwhelm a man. An hour and a half of primal fighting to simply breathe and keep going beyond your endurance of fighting on when quitting is just a tap away is supremely important to mental health

In a society that consistently tries to denude men of their masculinity of rituals and rights in which we learn to be strong (not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally) we all need something to measure our selves against, to compete against like Hemmingway’s Old Man and the Sea, a good external battle is really fight against our desire to quit and give up, and this is what defines us as men.

In some ways BJJ to me is the external manifestation of an internal and symbolic fight, that no matter what happens you just have to focus and fight for that next step, that next breath, don’t worry about the big stuff just simply breathe.
    Last edited by Goju - Joe; 7/26/2009 10:24am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo & Jujustu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely brilliant post!

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's been a while, but we have another post/thread everybody should fucking read.

This **** made my day
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 11:15am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree. The best thing I've gotten from BJJ and Judo is the ability to keep a cool head and work incrementally while someone is trying to choke the **** out of me or crushing me beneath them. Thinking back to my noob days of "OMG HE HAS MY NECK TAP TAP!" makes me feel like a completely different person.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 11:19am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wonderfully put!
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    — Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    — Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 11:30am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was badass. Like this dude.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all the positive feedback. On a rainy day I just wanted to articulate something that's important to me and I think important in MA and life general.

Its the main point in several arguments I have had on here with some younger members.

The skill and accomplishments you get from training is a side effect to the internal battle to keep training. And even if you're not good and may never be good that fighting the fight and to keep training is important.

BJJ is a great martial art because you get reminded of this every class and every roll you do.

I have had a really shitty 2009 so far so this philosophy has become very very important to me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 12:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    So what’s so special about BJJ for me?
    In a life where things like, taxes, kids, parents health, the economy and a million other things can overwhelm a man. An hour and a half of primal fighting to simply breathe and keep going beyond your endurance of fighting on when quitting is just a tap away is supremely important to mental health

In a society that consistently tries to denude men of their masculinity of rituals and rights in which we learn to be strong (not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally) we all need something to measure our selves against, to compete against like Hemmingway’s Old Man and the Sea, a good external battle is really fight against our desire to quit and give up, and this is what defines us as men.
    Lovely post and put so well, I have also had a bit of a **** year with redundancy, deaths and the above 2 paragraphs sum it up for me.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 12:58pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Arrives at thread*

*Reads OP*

*Salutes Goju-Joe...*
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast