Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2009 1:50pm

Style: Learning BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

East West Martial Arts, Canton, Michigan

I am hesitant to offer a review because I am new to martial arts, but I like this school a lot and there are no other reviews of it to date so I hope that mine will be of some use. Keep in mind that this review is based on my personal experiences in fundamental Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes and the Muay Thai class. East West offers classes in a variety of styles morning, noon and night.

The school has a comprehensive website with useful information, including class schedules and a video walk-through of the school by the proprietor, so I would start there.

I will add that what I really like about East West are the people; both instructors and students are respectful, helpful, easy-going, and by and large follow the "Leave Your Ego at the Door" creed. The instructors are knowledgeable, patient, and communicate well. Class size varies from night to night, typically 8 - 12, people. The facility is not small, but with three classes going on at once during prime time, the mats are sometimes crowded.

There are a variety of students in terms of age, physical condition, and experience, and there are children's and some women's classes.

I lack experience with other schools and knowledge of martial arts in general so my ratings are simply my honest but uninformed impressions. I hope that more experienced folks will add to this review in time. I have noticed an increase in the aliveness of our ground and striking sparring as the average ability of class members has increased over time so that rating will probably turn out to be higher in the intermediate and advanced classes (assuming that I make it to them one day).

I have not taken the weapons class and so offer no rating in that category.

I'm very satisfied with my experience at East West and suggest that anyone looking for a school in SE Michigan give them a look.
    Last edited by Chenz; 8/25/2009 12:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 12:15am

Style: Learning BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a quick update to my original review above now that I have several more months of experience at East West. I adjusted my ratings to reflect the school's emphasis on BJJ relative to striking arts.

Although East West offers three weapons classes weekly (Arnis and Silat separately), I still have not taken one and so can offer no rating. FWIW, one of my friends does take them and tells me that they're great.

One thing that I have come to appreciate more about East West is the variety of instructors, each with his own teaching style. Every class places different levels of emphasis on technique, conditioning and free sparring so anyone should find a good fit for at least a couple of classes a week.

I continue to be impressed with the humility, helpfulness, and kindness of both students and staff. There is not a single person that I avoid in class or while rolling. In fact, I really look forward to rolling with the higher belts because they so often take the time to show me how they're doing what they do and how to avoid or counter their attacks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 12:10pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you study under Master East West?
    LOL!!