Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mount Escapes that actually are used in MMA?

If you go to youtube,( or any BJJ class) you will see all these videos on how to escape the mount, supposedly high percentage ones like the upa, followed by Knee elbow,etc. But when I actually watch MMA, I never see anyone ever bridge and roll out of mount, hell I never see any one ever even bridge to disrupt the other guys balance while hes punching..

In class were always told not to put are arms out(to push the guy off) or to turn to are back to get out of mount, yet in MMA they always do this! Also In class they say to bump to mess up the guys balance while puching but they rarely ever do this in MMA.

My question is why don't we see the bridge and roll or any other of the supposedly high percentage mount escapes in UFC(or other high level MMA), I don't even see them tried, yet video after video and intructor after instructor says there the way to go, even though in MMA they don't use them, instead they push them off, go to there back, or escape out the back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:48am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short answer: escaping the mount isn't that easy when your opponent knows what he's doing and is punching you in the face.

Long answer: bridge and roll mount escape is still pretty common in mma... elbow escape should be a little more common imo though. Lambert got ktfo'ed framing rashad's hips.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 11:51am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The roll and give up the back is an escape used in MMA because the rules prevent the opponent from punching you in the back of the head. Its called "playing the rules."

If my opponent has my back and I can make sure we are face up, this is much better under MMA rules than being under the mount.

Much easier percentage wise to escape a face up back compared to under mount - especially when my opponent isnt allowed the most effective attack from the back.

The reason most academies dont teach this is because it is bad self-defence. Better to work the bridge and roll or the upa escape.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 12:16pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add on when you give up the back in mma, it's easier to defend the choke than in bjj because of the gloves. It's harder to snake a glove-wrapped hand through all the defense and secure the choke.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 12:19pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    To add on when you give up the back in mma, it's easier to defend the choke than in bjj because of the gloves. It's harder to snake a glove-wrapped hand through all the defense and secure the choke.
    Also not having to fear collar (gi) chokes.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 12:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gloves an swet, lots of swet

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can any one direct me to some fights that were the upa is used? People don't even seem to try to upa, I have seen many fights were it looks like the guy has a great chance to roll the opponent yet does not even try. Also why is bumping so rare in mma when mounted, instructors are always saying to bump when being punched in mount to throw off the guys balance so he has a harder time hitting you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 1:00pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you watched much MMA at all? I can't recall any fight specifically but I see hip bumping all the time to try to get a guy off when he's mounted during fights.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 1:07pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is hip bumping all the time in MMA.

Don't know why you are missing it.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 1:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't watch that much, but my friend is really into MMA and also comments I how he never sees the upa being used and that they always do what were told not to do in class to escape. While the bumping is a bit more common, it still seems to be under used. Is it because those moves are just not worth trying on top level guys, like you would see in the UFC?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast