Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 11:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NYC Sparring Group, Anyone Interested?

Hi,

Would anyone be interested in meeting up to try and get a sparring group up and running in NYC? For the short term, I'm trying to train for a national competition at the end of August. My competitive sparring has never been that great. However, for the long term I'm more interested in more contact, takedowns, and ground etc...

My style's competitive sparring is probably similar to others like TKD. We include head and front torso area as legal targets. Contact is kept light and controlled, heavier is accepted at higher levels. Absolutely no torso protection. Head, hand, feet, and mouth required. Sweeping is more acceptable at higher levels. Takedowns score no points and are generally frowned upon. 1 point for normal kicks and hand techniques. 2 for spinning techniques. 3 for jump spinning. 2 points for reverse roundhouse. 2 minute matches.

For the other sparring I was talking about, pretty much anything goes so long as we can go to work the next day. We can always go higher or lower in terms of contact based on skill level.

There's a children's playroom in my building that we can use in the evenings. But NYC also has a bunch of open parks and such that I'm sure we can use too. Grappling on concrete/wood won't be much fun though.

Thanks!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/group.php?groupid=8

Good luck finding someone who will point spar

edit: There's a 100% chance that this thread is going to get moved

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm interested. . .where's nuYawk?

OP:
    Please post some info about yourself, your style,
    how long training, what kind of nat'l tourney, etc.

Then a little more detail into just what you are
    expecting to find on here, and how that swill help
    you with your tournamet aspirations.

Thanks!

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 3:10pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea lemme know where you wanna train... im on long island but might stop in every once in a while

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread smells of troll.

Hey OP, a tiny bit more info please???

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to tthe NYC throwdown on August 8

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, no troll here. Sorry for not getting back to everyone so late.

I train in a Korean style called Soo Bahk Do, spin-off of Tang Soo Do. I have 4 years of experience but as of late I've been training alone/teaching classes at my former university. I'm trying to find someone at my level or above to help me practice my reflexes and basically get used to working with another warm body.

The national tournament is for my particular style... so its extremely narrow. That's why I'm looking for people who specifically practice Korean styles (post was originally in Korean TMA section). However, if my partners' styles are mostly striking, I'll be happy to train with them too.

I'm hoping to find someone who can spar with me on weekends. Someone who has experience and will score a lot of points on me so that I will have to work my ass off, maybe even share some techniques and training methods with me too. After tournament style sparring, I'm totally up for going for a little contact and some groundwork too (I'm even worse on the ground).

Since my style doesn't have a dojang in NYC, I train in Riverside Park (70th and Riverside Blvd, all the way west next to the river). I'm willing to go to other parks too.

My request is seems very selfish and one-sided to me, if I can help you with something I'll do all that I can. Hopefully someone needs a warm body to train against too.
    Last edited by awkm; 7/30/2009 9:07am at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2009 3:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll meet with you if you wanna go K1, knock down karate, full Thai, or any US organizing kick boxing association rules. No body really point spars here (please refer to: useless) but if you're looking for a serious sparring partner then I guess just private message one of us.