Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:44pm

Style: TKD, HKD, Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Updated WTF Sparring Rules: Thoughts?

Found on the internets a couple of weeks ago, seems earlier this year a boatload of changes were made to the WTF Sparring Rules

I'd like to know what the TKD gods of the site think of these changes, at least insomuch if it bumps things closer or further away from 'useful' training and sparring.

I personally am split. I think it could encourage risk taking with the new point system, but seems like it will bury punches even more and they broadened the definition of 'head'. Maybe people will actively protect themselves more due to this. Also seems like a good idea the 5 & 10 second rules & smaller rings, keep people more 'engaged' more of the time instead of moving or standing around.

My main gripe other than the hand limitations is they took out the extra point for knockdowns it sounds like, unless I read it wrong. This being the case, seems like there's no incentive to really drive in hard techniques.

Anyway, just curious.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    # Competition area reduced to 8m by 8m.
    # Head kick is 3 points.
    # Turning kick (180 degrees or greater) to the body is 2 points.
    # Combo of 2 x Kyong go or 1 Gamjeom adds one point to opposing player. Total of 4 point deduction still = loss.
    # Lifting the knee to avoid a valid attack or impeding the progress of an attack is now a kyong go.
    # The inactive period is 5 seconds for the “fight command”; then 10 seconds of further inactivity is now a kyong go. This is commonly practiced now.
    # Wearing of a Hijab beneath the helmet and dobuk is acceptable.
    # Men’s Weight Classes: -54kg, -58kg, -63kg, -68kg, -74kg, -80kg, -87kg and +87kg.
    # Women’s Weight Classes: -46kg, -49kg, -53kg, -57kg, -62kg, -67kg, -73kg, +73kg.
    # Players hold head gear under left arm, and put it on after bowing at the start of the match. Players take off head gear and put under left arm and bow at end of match.
    # The definition of “face” is replaced by “head” including all areas above collar bone.
    # Legal scoring area is defined as the coloured area of the trunk protector
    # There is NO additional point if the referee counts.
    # Win by 7 point gap and 12 point ceiling is removed.
    # In Kyeshi, the doctor is consulted before the order to resume the match is given; or declaring loss by expiration of kyeshi time. This is commonly practiced now.
    # Centre referee can have a casting vote in a “referee conference” during a match.
    # Lodging of protest time is 15 minutes after match conclusion.
    Did I read the 1st bolded rule change correctly to say that you can't leg check, or use arms to block or catch attacks?

As for the second bolded line...time limits on inactivity do not generally produce better matches. Evidence: Olympic Judo. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in this context.

Extra points for knockdowns sounds like an awful thing to lose, but I don't know the old rules.

BONUS LOLZ: Poll in the sidebar says "How long should it take to get a black belt?" and possible answers are 1 to 8.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 5:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've never been allowed to leg check or kick catch.

Scoring area is bullshit..

No additional point for knockdowns is bullshit.

OTKD becomes even more bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 1:45am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow they sure have change the rules up since I last competed in Wtf. I am so glad I went to MT and MMA. I still believe that once at BB level and in the olympics they should lose the all pads, but thats just me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 9:36pm

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tkd further deteriorates from the last time i trained. it's only a matter of time before the rules change the training here once more...

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 10:31pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dam! not what I was hoping for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:10pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like idea of reducing size of competition area. But dislike the change to KO rule.

Whether or not leg checking was ever 'allowed' I don't know. But I can tell you when I trained at a TKD school in 1990's we leg checked all the time at BB level including the guys that were trying to get into Olympics. I have hours of videotape from inside Yong-In University where it was non-stop leg checking.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    You've never been allowed to leg check
    Wrong.

or kick catch.

Scoring area is bullshit..

No additional point for knockdowns is bullshit.

OTKD becomes even more bullshit.
    Correct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:51pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that the 7 point rule and 12 point cap were removed, because if I'M going to pay to enter a tournament then I want to fight all my rounds to the finish.

three additional questions:
    1. do jump kicks still get extra points?

2. does this only apply to Canada?

3. do you still get points for kicking to the back?

Other than the removal of the point cap and the rule about hesitation these changes suck

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys have a completely different definition of leg checking. Foot pattycake is not leg checking. Jamming a kicking leg to destroy structure as an attack on the leg is kick checking. As it counts as a kick below the waist, it is illegal. I've been DQed for it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast