Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 3:16pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    They decided to go the EliteXC route of blowing through a lot of money for some quick short term gains. Basically, they figured they could buy their way into the no. 2 MMA org position. Unfortunately, like all the others who tried the same (the aforementioned EliteXC, WFA, and K-1) they seem to have pretty much failed.

In my opinion, the no. 2 MMA org here is Strikeforce. They have long been known for putting on solid cards, building up solid competitors, and not going bankrupt doing it (and actually making decent money doing it). They also have never overextended themselves either. They have a good solid core market in California with the occasional ventures into other territories.

I think that a long as they continue to go in this direction, they will (eventually) be in a position to truly compete with the UFC on equal footing.
    As much as the sherdog hive mind will have us believe, I really hope that someone eventually competes with the UFC. I hope you're right about Strikeforce. But I'm also hoping overseas promotion continue to thrive, even if they don't become competers to ufc, I really don't want to see what happens if UFC reaches WWE status. :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbourn View Post
    So one guy is juiced and they cancel the whole event. How is that fair for all the fighters who have been training for months for this thing or the fans who have been pissing on themselves in excitement to see Fedor?

Uhh...it's not fair, it's showbiz. The "One Guy" that got caught juicing (again) was the headliner of that show. Who would take a short notice fight against Fedor and actually be worth watching ?

Affliction already had the reputation of being the UFC dumping ground vs. Fedor and this incident really cements that. It is unlikely they will recover after this and the only guy with a garanteed future after this is Fedor.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    It is unlikely they will recover after this and the only guy with a garanteed future after this is Fedor.
    Gomi, Mousasi, Belfort, Lauzon, Heiron, Babalu, Santiago.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh...it's not fair, it's showbiz. The "One Guy" that got caught juicing (again) was the headliner of that show. Who would take a short notice fight against Fedor and actually be worth watching ?

Affliction already had the reputation of being the UFC dumping ground vs. Fedor and this incident really cements that. It is unlikely they will recover after this and the only guy with a garanteed future after this is Fedor.
    Bah, it all still sucks flaming nuts. Only good thing out of all this is that it will be easier than ever to get Fedor into the UFC, so Dana will have no excuses.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Gomi, Mousasi, Belfort, Lauzon, Heiron, Babalu, Santiago.
    Barnett as well. As mentioned previously, the Japanese love him.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbourn View Post
    Bah, it all still sucks flaming nuts. Only good thing out of all this is that it will be easier than ever to get Fedor into the UFC, so Dana will have no excuses.
    It's never been about the UFC not signing Fedor, it's always been about their business model and not changing it for one fighter.

Fedor might by the best but he's not a significant draw (yet) for the UFC

If Fedor wants to play in their park he has to play by their rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 5:08pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sucks so bad.

Barnett harakiri'd his career with this and a load of good fights are off.

Hope Fedor gets Werdum at Strikeforce and that the other fighters also get picked up by other shows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 5:12pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so is their street team going to go take down all the Fedor v Barnett posters all over atlanta now?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 5:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    It's never been about the UFC not signing Fedor, it's always been about their business model and not changing it for one fighter.

Fedor might by the best but he's not a significant draw (yet) for the UFC

If Fedor wants to play in their park he has to play by their rules.
    Still, this is undoubtedly the time they're most likely to sign him.

Between Dana's announcement post UFC 100, and Affliction falling apart...surely it has to happen.

SURELY the world is not that unfair!!

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:37pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had I known all this was going to happen after, I would've titled the thread:

Josh Barnett: DESTROYER OF WORLDS!!!

I hate Cock Chestnar just as much as the next "purist," but Josh definitely deserves his own month of douchebaggery for this. In one fell swoop, he screwed up the most anticipated heavyweight bout of the summer, cancelled an entire event and left almost a dozen fighters without a paycheck, destroyed the last hope of an entire promotion, and gave the UFC yet more leverage to act like the monopolistic assholes they often are.

The only 2 good things to come of this are Strikeforce possibly getting stronger as a promotion and an increased chance of Fedor in the UFC. Even so, it doesn't come close to covering the suffering of the other fighters on the card that Barnett screwed.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast