Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 10:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by padre View Post
    Yeah, I mean no disrespect to anyone, as I'm only testing for "high white" tomorrow, but I wish that I could wave a magic wand and remove that from my training terminally.

It has (respectfully) no merit.
    There are parts of any art that you will dislike, if you enjoy 90% of the rest then keep doing what you are doing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34 View Post
    There are parts of any art that you will dislike, if you enjoy 90% of the rest then keep doing what you are doing.
    I will gladly take this advice!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 3:58pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just wondering why do you guys keep calling it one-step sparring, because at my school one-steps and hosinsuls are use to teach the mechanics of the various techniques. It's done the same way we teach kids by breaking things down to slow and basic levels. I mean you wouldn't teach someone how to kick by kicking people, because they might not notice how you turned your hips or how you piveted. In my case one-steps are not used as a sparring tool, that's what actual sparring and pad work are for. One-steps are simply the form in which we break-down, teach, and demonstrate new techniques. Since are students are continuously learning new techniques as they progress we teach them in the same way. If you've found a better way of doing it then awesome, but this is just the way we do things.

I konw I'm long winded and I have trouble conveing my ideas, but I hope the sincerity of my point comes across

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 4:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, they actually call one-step and hosinsul "self defense" and not sparring.

I'm open to the idea that my referring to them as having "no merit" may have been too strongly worded, as well. Just because I personally find them mind-numbingly dull doesn't necessarily mean that they're totally useless.

I bet a lot of my high school studies that I found so dull probably did equip me with knowledge & skills I was able to put to use in college later on.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 4:29pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    just wondering why do you guys keep calling it one-step sparring, because at my school one-steps and hosinsuls are use to teach the mechanics of the various techniques. It's done the same way we teach kids by breaking things down to slow and basic levels. I mean you wouldn't teach someone how to kick by kicking people, because they might not notice how you turned your hips or how you piveted. In my case one-steps are not used as a sparring tool, that's what actual sparring and pad work are for. One-steps are simply the form in which we break-down, teach, and demonstrate new techniques. Since are students are continuously learning new techniques as they progress we teach them in the same way. If you've found a better way of doing it then awesome, but this is just the way we do things.

I konw I'm long winded and I have trouble conveing my ideas, but I hope the sincerity of my point comes across
    Actually, yes, I would teach someone how to kick by kicking targets, pads, heavy bags, & people. During this process, I would gradually point out mechanics that they may be slipping on.

We have found a better way of doing it, & that's what we've been discussing in this thread. Please take the time to read the entire thread & watch the videos in it.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Please take the time to read the entire thread & watch the videos in it.
    Just in case some of you missed this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 12:34am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Actually, yes, I would teach someone how to kick by kicking targets, pads, heavy bags, & people. During this process, I would gradually point out mechanics that they may be slipping on.

We have found a better way of doing it, & that's what we've been discussing in this thread. Please take the time to read the entire thread & watch the videos in it.
    I did read the entire thread, and was attempted only to address the question of what merits are gained from my one-steps and their place in martial arts, I wasn't addressing whether or not their are better ways of achieving them. SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.
    Last edited by korean dragon; 8/02/2009 12:40am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/02/2009 3:00am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    I did read the entire thread, and was attempted only to address the question of what merits are gained from my one-steps and their place in martial arts, I wasn't addressing whether or not their are better ways of achieving them. SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.
    I believe one steps started out with good intention, slow step by step introductory drills. Something that's practiced in ALL martial arts schools, even non martial art schools. But like 75% of all things currently done in the average tae kwon do school, they have been perverted and ritualized to the point of uselessness.

Posted On:
    8/03/2009 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    Something that's practiced in ALL martial arts schools, even non martial art schools.
    A classic display both of precision and of clarity.

Is it odd that I'm awed?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast