l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:20am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave View Post
    Greetings.

No, but it would annoy anyone planning on using a gun to kill someone, and those people would have ample access to non-serial ammo.
    Maybe, but the bulk of people affected would be law-abiding gun owners. I guess I don't really see what harm it would do, other then the cost, but I also struggle to see what good it will do.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post

Black market for ammo? Why bother?
    Why have a black market for anything? Profit. Have you heard some of the outrageous prices people pay for guns on the Black Market?

Many times, you can get legit guns for half the cost. People who commit bad acts want untraceable products.

Maybe, but the bulk of people affected would be law-abiding gun owners. I guess I don't really see what harm it would do, other then the cost, but I also struggle to see what good it will do.
    People balk not because they are sacred, as you implied, but anger.

Why should I pay extra costs because, some idiot, who will buy Black Market bullets, is acting like a fool?

If I shoot, I'm paying extra for someone who did something wrong.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Why have a black market for anything? Profit. Have you heard some of the outrageous prices people pay for guns on the Black Market?

Many times, you can get legit guns for half the cost. People who commit bad acts want untraceable products.
    I understand, maybe I'm just naive, but it seem like that would be an incredibly small subset of the criminal population.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    People balk not because they are sacred, as you implied, but anger.

Why should I pay extra costs because, some idiot, who will buy Black Market bullets, is acting like a fool?

If I shoot, I'm paying extra for someone who did something wrong.
    But if the choice came to coding the ammo, or banning the guns, wouldn't you rather have the coded ammo? It seems like the lesser of the two evils.

I'm not saying I support either act, but I'm curious.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 2:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if the choice came to coding the ammo, or banning the guns, wouldn't you rather have the coded ammo? It seems like the lesser of the two evils.

I'm not saying I support either act, but I'm curious.
    How do I answer this?

This is how I see it happening, they are going to code ammo then continue to work on a gun ban.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 3:05pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not require a serial number on every piece of paper? After all, it won't cause any harm other than costs.

• Would it be illegal to manufacture a bullet without assigning it a number?
    • What about bullets without a suitable base?
    • What about imported foreign ammo (both new and surplus)?
    • How is the tracking of the numbers going to be handled as the ammunition exchanges hands from person to person?
    • Won't the BATFE guys' heads explode with the addition of another letter to their acronym?

Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Some studies have shown a 88% recovery rate.
    Cite?

Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    That .005 is the government fee per round to maintain the database. The cost to consumers, I don't know.
    So at least $50 million for just the government's end. Pretty expensive for a program that's easily defeated and cumbersome for all involved.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 3:25pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a meaningless political gesture that aims to let politicians claim to be "doing something about guns" to the constituency who supports that without really pissing off the constituency who oppose it. IOW :jerkit2yf

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 3:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley View Post

So at least $50 million for just the government's end. Pretty expensive for a program that's easily defeated and cumbersome for all involved.
    Well, that is a good point. Also, we must figure in the how and the cost of the equipment involved to put serial numbers on said bullet.

as he said
    That .005 is the government fee per round to maintain the database. The cost to consumers, I don't know.

So, as consumers, people will pay ??? for the press, laser, or whatever to be instituted into the manufacture of said bullet. The consumer will pay for any more labor costs involved in said stamping. The consumer will also pay for any defects that may occur because of said stamping.

All this to make sure they can track bullets bought by, legal law abiding citizens who don't normally cause most of the crime.

This leads right back to Knave's point about Black Market bullets.

poser

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 4:43pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also struggle to see what good it will do.
    Which means that the extra $0.005 per round, which sounds small but will undoubtedly add up over time, is wasted money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 4:48pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does this law affect black powder enthusiasts who cast their own ammunition? And how do you serialize #9 bird shot?

This measure is silly, and should be mocked.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast