Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:48am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ammunition Coding, Am I missing something?

I read an article that made ammunition coding sound like purified evil. As I understand it Ammunition coding is nothing more then etching a serial number on the back of a bullet. I'm not quite sure why this is such a big deal.

If I had to choose to have my rifle or handgun confiscated, or outlawed, vs. having to buy ammunition with little engravings on the back end I know which one I would choose.

What is the issue with coding? Any idea?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:52am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another stupid, pointless gesture from politicians pandering to pussies who feel that without guns, human beings wouldn't kill each other.

The problem is that it puts extra, unnecessary burdens on manufacturers and increases costs passed onto the consumers; in effect, a backdoor fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:54am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

IMO, and this is just off the top of my head, the cost and scope of such a project would be absurd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Oh, and did I mention that it would create a black market for "stolen" ammunition or pre-serial ammunition? I start selling my stockpile of milsurp (there are BILLIONS of un-serialed rounds in circulation, btw) to thugs for outrageous prices so they can continue killing each other over drug turf. I buy new handgun ammo and fake a smash and grab on my own vehicle, then sell the "stolen" ammo to thugs at high prices?

Meanwhile regular joe blow target shooter pays out the fucking ass to fund the whole thing.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave View Post
    Greetings.

IMO, and this is just off the top of my head, the cost and scope of such a project would be absurd.
    According to the legislation I was reading the "fee" would be $.005/round. So, five cents for a hundred round box. If it gets people to shut up about gun control for a while is it worth the extra pennies?

I understand it's a pain and a hassle but my questions are 1) will it help? and 2) will it do any real harm?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Even if that were the actual fee, no, it would not make any difference. I'm not entirely sure how they would put a serial on it that isn't destroyed or deformed after use, but assuming it's doable the black market issue makes the whole thing pointless.

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:07am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, let's trust the Government to keep to their cost estimates.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave View Post
    Greetings.

Even if that were the actual fee, no, it would not make any difference. I'm not entirely sure how they would put a serial on it that isn't destroyed or deformed after use, but assuming it's doable the black market issue makes the whole thing pointless.
    According to what I've read that is the actual fee.

As for being recoverable the serial is engraved a whole bunch of time on the rear of the bullet, this gives a high probability of it being recovered after the round has been fired. Some studies have shown a 88% recovery rate.

Black market for ammo? Why bother? Does the thought of having your ammo be traced back to you scare you that much?

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, let's trust the Government to keep to their cost estimates.
    That .005 is the government fee per round to maintain the database. The cost to consumers, I don't know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

No, but it would annoy anyone planning on using a gun to kill someone, and those people would have ample access to non-serial ammo.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast