Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 8:52am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I was born with brain damage- nut shuts have never done anything but make me mildly nauseous.

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 3:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA,Thai Boxing,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    For heavy hitting with live stick, I love my lacrosse helmet with the modified grill. The loud clack I hear when I get hit is enough to let me know I messed up.
    Nice looking mask. The only thing I've used that comes close is hockey goalie masks.

My only gripe is the big gaps in the metal cage won't stop face stabs from thin sticks or training knives. I've also seen guys get small pieces of rattan skin in their eyes, nothing serious but enough to pause the fight. These are the reasons I attached a clear hockey eye shield to the inside of my WEKAF mask.

I'm sure they make ones specifically for your Lacrosse helmet. Might be worth looking into.

Posted On:
    10/17/2009 8:57pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally got the guy I train fma with to do some contact work with me. i wore my kendo helmet and gave him the fencing mask. He definately had the upper hand with the fencing mask. After a few rounds with the kendo mask I felt kind of claustrophobic anf sluggish, and I noticed I can't see **** with my peripheral vision. I pretty much expected that would happen though. Good thing is he liked the training session and said he is giong to get a fencing mask so we can do more contact work. Hopwfully we'll be beating the crap out of each other in no time.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 6:36am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to necro the thread, but I'm looking at picking up a fencing mask in the near future and they seem to be sold by Newton rating over here, rather than weapon strength.

Does anyone know if a 350n mask is acceptable, or will it cave with a good whack?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 1:30pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That can withstand a whack of approximately 35kg if that helps. Can you match a rating to an impact value?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 4:59pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to get my own fencing mask, I'm not sure the old beat up ones shared round at the club get the sweat cleaned out of them ever.

I'm so tempted to get something cool looking like a brass guard mask and modify it (or just wear it with an open face helm and gorget). But all I need is something practical so I'll probably just get the cheapest 3 weapon mask I can find.

Here's some of the brass guard full metal masks if you havn't seen them before.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    I need to get my own fencing mask, I'm not sure the old beat up ones shared round at the club get the sweat cleaned out of them ever.

I'm so tempted to get something cool looking like a brass guard mask and modify it (or just wear it with an open face helm and gorget). But all I need is something practical so I'll probably just get the cheapest 3 weapon mask I can find.

Here's some of the brass guard full metal masks if you havn't seen them before.

Oh dude those are amazing but I'd feel bad about getting them smashed up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2012 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm worried about how well they would hold together over time, have to be just for the yearly tourney and other special occassions.

More seriously though I'd like to know more about combat canne style fencing masks.

Has anyone had experience with them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 12:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a modified mask by John Sullins.

More pictures here: [URL="[URL="http://www.slithytove.org/fencing/index.htm"]"]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 7:47am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Sorry to necro the thread, but I'm looking at picking up a fencing mask in the near future and they seem to be sold by Newton rating over here, rather than weapon strength.

Does anyone know if a 350n mask is acceptable, or will it cave with a good whack?
    Here's the confusing thing, I've been doing a bit of research as I'm wanting to get a fencing mask for the New Year. Most masks will be either 350N or 1600N but this actually refers to the protection the Bib offers. A sabre mask can be 350N or 1600N depending on the Bib but the mesh will also differ between mask models. A lot of the expensive models have competition standard electronic sensors in the bib that we won't need for our purposes (unless you plan to enter fencing competitions at a professional level). Only a few models list both the Bib rating and the Mesh rating.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123