Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 5:26pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

fencing masks for FMA sparring

I started doing some real contact sparring/drills using a kendo helmet I already had. Although, the kendo helmet provided sufficient protection I found it very confining. It was harder to use my peripheral vision to see incoming strikes. Also, I found that I rarely took a hard shot to the head, I was able to block or deflect most of the head shots. I did get my legs "'tore up" because it was hard for me to see low incoming strikes. I think I need a helmet that allows better visibility, even if I have to sacrifice some protection. I will admit the guy I was sparring with was a lot less expierienced than me, so maybe I do need the protection.

I think a less confining and lighter helmet would be better. Maybe a fencing mask. Does anyone know if fencing masks come in different "weights" that offer differing protection? What should I look for when buying a fencing mask for FMA sparring? I checked out the WEKAF helmets but couldn't find one for less than $100 and that is without the shipping included. And they seem about the same as a kendo helmet. The fencing masks I saw on ebay vary widely in price but it looks like I could get a decent one around $50-$60. Any advice would help.

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 5:53pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes a little while to get used to, especially if you've never fenced. The screen pattern causes your perception of motion to be weird, because your eye registers motion every time you move your head relative to the mask. You get used to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 6:42pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should go with one that is Sabre Strength.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for a triple weapon mask. You can get some at Kombat Instruments, Ltd. from Nick "Pappy Dog" Papadakis. I got my original mask from Triplette Arms, but their prices have really gone up.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 10:09pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. I found some decent looking sabre masks on ebay for around $60-shipping not included. I'll probably pick one up.

If the mask gets caved in like i've seen on a few dog bros vids is the mask useless/offers less protection after that?

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA,Thai Boxing,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a fencing mask gets dented you can usually press the dent back out. I've seen some pretty dented up masks, but you can usually reshape them.

I haven't used a kendo mask, but I have a WEKAF mask. They have a heavy metal cage on the front and a lot of padding. You often won't feel the head hits like you do with a fencing mask (which is good and bad). You do get an audible "clang" sound when you take a face hit with the WEKAF mask.

I like using the fencing mask when I spar because it's lighter and more realistic. If you're going with the fencing mask, get the three-weapon mask. That is, unless you like the taste of rattan, then get the lightest mask you can find. :laughing7

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As mentioned, try to find a 3 weapon rated fencing mask. Keep in mind what it is and the protection it provides and you should be okay. I like the kendo headgear because it covers the clavicle and can take some solid hits, but I've been hit right in the back of the head where there's no protection (getting hit in the back of the head with a stick sucks). I've tried a WEKAF mask, and I wish I had one for regular training. Keep in mind that if your fencing mask dents and you hammer it out, it's going to be a little weaker each time you do this. I've confined myself to padded stick and training knife sparring for a long time now so I haven't dealt with any fencing mask issues in a long time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:10am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I've confined myself to padded stick and training knife sparring for a long time now so I haven't dealt with any fencing mask issues in a long time.
    same here. i've found that a padded stick to the head (especially the face or the ear) encourages movement more than naked rattan to the fencing mask.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 7:25pm

Style: FMA & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would agree with the recommendation for the sabre strength fencing mask. We spar with live sticks about once per month and that seems to work really well for us. I also agree with the comments on the padded stick sparring. The fencing masks can lull you with the head protection that you get and a good shot from a quality padded stick can give you a pretty nice wake up call as I have found on more than one occasion. You probably have to do both on a fairly regular basis to incorporate the qualities that you are really after from training.

Good thread...

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 12:57pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For heavy hitting with live stick, I love my lacrosse helmet with the modified grill. The loud clack I hear when I get hit is enough to let me know I messed up.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast