Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2002 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ["http://http://www.musashi.nl/Engels/RealTruthengframe.htm"]
    is a link to pages out of Jon Bluming's book, where he says "Legends: It gets Better All the Time." He says the bull killing stories of Oyama are bullshit and the IKO head is a liar and that the refs are cheaters in Kyokushin tourneys, among other things. Oh, and that the Shotokan guys in Japan were a bunch of karatekids. He doesn't put down the fighters, saying that they don't need the bullshit, but the organization is for money and bullshit.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2002 6:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.musashi.nl/Engels/RealTruthengframe.htm
    sez Oyama was a great guy . . . but a total bullshit artist and after money and fame. pat
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/06/2002 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I agree with some of what Blumming wrote I think there is also a case of "sour grapes" mixed in as well. Mainly because Blumming wasn't given the recognition he deserved, on the other hand he was a round eye in a a society prejudice to outsiders which is something I experienced myself. He was a good fighter who could be many of the top players (Oyama would have stilled floored him) but he was pretty much seen as the gaijin punching bag (in Oyamas most famous books Blumming is on the recieving end of the techniques shown even though he was better at preforming them than the person doing it) He is dead on about most of the Shotokan guys being cry babies.

I never got the feeling Oyama was out for money, FAME I definitely agree with but money NO.

As for the Bull fights being BS. Well the stories get inflated and changed (for better and worse) more and more but the bottomline is that he DID fight bulls bare handed.

Another problem with Kyokushin was that Oyama left no heir when he passed away and the factions began.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

Edited by - Asia on November 06 2002 15:36:02
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Vilnius, Lithuania. EU's Frontier to the Evil Empire...

Posted On:
    12/09/2002 3:52pm

Style: KOVAS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was Oyama’s style and school and he has done what he wanted and how he wanted. Don’t forget about Steve Arniel (IFK), Sigeru Oyama (Oyama-ryu), Nakayama (Seido), Ashihara (Ashihara), Soeno (Shidokan) etc. All former students, and here it is a bunch of separate “kyokushin-like” schools. International by the way…

And Oyama appointed as heir what he thought deserves this. A MANAGER for a style/corporation, not a teacher/guru. On the other hand, Shotokan itself has a lot of international and worldwide organizations of former Funakoshi’s students and students of these students… Same faith, same way, I think.

Nonsense is not only in Kyokushinkai. Same you may see in Shotokan, as I mentioned above, in goju-ryu, wing chun, TKD (WTF, ITF, GTF etc.), hapkido, aikido (aikikai, iwama-ryu, yoshinkan etc.) and more and more.

Oyama was killing these bulls, that’s true. But these bulls were going to slaughterhouse, let’s admit. Practice is not as a fight. The fight that was filmed on did not go smoothly by the way. I would suggest finding out Steve Arniel’s notes on such fights as well.

What to shotokan, it all about bravado. As muay-thai vs. kyokushinkai or like shidokan vs. kyokushinkai now. Shotokan was a leading style in Japan at that time. So kyokushinkai had to compete with it. And at the same time Oyama was telling, “such and such came from my experience with shotokan”.

What to technique, now kyokushinkai techniques and sparing rules are more likely designed for “karate kids”… Some kids jumps with TKD, some of them (bigger in mass and not so skilled in techniques) pushes themselves with kyokushinkai… “Give to customer what he wants”…