Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 9:31am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    newb, whyn't you pay jnp (i see you're both in austin) to come over and strap some long-ass 2x12s from plate to plate across your attic? right along both sides of one of your existing pre-fab joist/rafter assemblies? if you can get them into your attic, that should take care of your problem. if your garage is too wide (say, more than 16 ft. i think that's the max length you can get 2x stock. jnp can correct me) you can use them end to end, with the joints staggered, since they'll be nailed to your roof assembly, with blocks spanning the joint.
    Jnp and I talked about this via the phone. I would prefer to pay him but he said I wouldn't have to. I feel bad about doing that though because of the crappy economy right now. Figure I buy all the stuff we need and pay him for the labor. Of course my wife and I would help him out and we can provide meals.
    Last edited by newbie999; 7/24/2009 9:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 10:16am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    Jnp and I talked about this via the phone. I would prefer to pay him but he said I wouldn't have to. I feel bad about doing that though because of the crappy economy right now. Figure I buy all the stuff we need and pay him for the labor. Of course my wife and I would help him out and we can provide meals.
    BEER is the universal currency

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 6:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: McDojo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a dumb reply, but I used a standard sawdustfilled boxing bag for a while, with a chain over a two by four framework.

Broke in under six months, just a chain over the top. It s the "swinging" that destroys the wood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 4:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found another pic of someone else who hung their heavy bag on the ceiling. It's amazing how difficult it is to find some guidance on this. You think someone would have stick up instructions on youtube or something:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love that setup. i wonder if they run on the treadmill and punch the bag simultaneously. they could probably hit a flying kick off the washing machine...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love that setup. i wonder if they run on the treadmill and punch the bag simultaneously. they could probably hit a flying kick off the washing machine...
    lol, I'm sure they were tempted to try a few times at least XD.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:30pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    I can't see your pictures JSpeedy. So I wouldn't need to crossbrace with this method? So your saying this sheetrock repair would be less than $100 assuming I did it myself or a handyman came in to repair it. My house is average home here in Austin. Roughly about the price of a median home here.
    Sucks you can't see my pics> For some reason I can only see about 50% of the pics posted too.

BEER is the universal currency
    Yep! I agree beer would be fine. I do electrical on the side all the time. If you don't have money some decent beer is fine if you don't suck that is. I can't stand drinking around people that suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wanted to give you all an update. We decided against going with the ceiling mount. The work involved in the attic now that we think about it would not be very fun compared to just reinforcing our wall. We also found a affordable retractable wall mount made by Combat Sports. My wife love this ideal because with this she doesn't have to wait for me to put the bag up because you can just move it out of the way (I got a lot of "Your going to spend all this building this thing and then you'll never hang the silly thing up for me to work on comment). The cars still fit when you move the bag over. The mount go out 4 feet so it seems like you can still do a bit of circling.

We talked to rep regarding our 2x4 construction and the reinforcement sounds very similar to JnP instructed me to do on the ceiling except we do this on the wall. The one thing I forgot to ask was how exactly to bolt the mount in (e.g. - since the 2x6 supports are being screwed into the studs does the mount holes get mounted directly into the stud or just on the 2x6 supports now?). I know this involves getting some 2x4 or 2x6's and running them where the mount would go and screwing them into the studs so they weight is spread out on 4 studs. Sort of like how these speed bag mounts are designed:

The rep also stated that we can just go with 2 2x4's or 2x6's but it seems like you want to run another one to make an I shape so the metal frame is fully supported.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Update...

Hey all,

I ordered a KO Fight Gear Thai Bag and got it yesterday. Looks great, but I have no mount yet :(.

I was going to go for this wall mount from CSI, they stated that it would
    hold a bag up to 100 lbs.

I have 2x4 studs on the wall and was looking to running some 2x4's to cross over about 4-5 studs and bolting the mount to the 2x4 where there is both the supporting 2x4 and the stud underneath with some 3/8 lag bolts. When I talked to the CSI rep though, he mentioned over time there would still be some damage to the supporting structure (e.g. - wall) even if I did reenforce the wall.

The question I wondering now is why do these companies sell these wall mounts to people if most people who live in a come are probably going to have standard 2x4 studs on walls + drywall. It just seemed like the rep was being overly cautious in his advice. Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you really have 2x4 for your garage walls he's right, you will see some damage. i'm somewhat surprised that he'd say anything besides 'you'll be fine.' honesty isn't something i've encountered too often in my experience with sales reps. that said, i'd wager that your garage wallls are made from 2x6 stock. usually it's 2x4 for interior walls, 2x6 for exterior. i'd go for it either way, but i'd choose a wall that didn't have a living space on the other side. don't want to repair drywall on two sides of a wall...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast