Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 4:03pm

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that is one of my concerns was that the sheetrock would crack over time. That why I was thinking if there was a way for me to mount through two or more joists via either some type of rafter mounting (if that is even possible to do with sheetrock in the way) cross bracing, or using some type of mounting where you can mount through two or more joists without opening up the sheet rock.

I'm a bit confused about this vertical horitzontal plane deal. So the support should line up like

||

vs.
    _
    _

So when you make the braces the support looks like:

|| || ||
    ||_||_||
    ||_||_||
    || || ||

With my
    _
    _

wood piece here facing vertically so it is longer when facing to my sheetrock versus hortizontally to the sheetrock (The 6inch part is facing the sheet rock)? In that text pic I would mount the bag in the center joist with the two neighboring joist supporting it.

Sorry I'm just very stupid about this :(. Wished I could find a video or something about it.
    Last edited by newbie999; 7/22/2009 4:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah, how about pics:

Bad?

vs.

Good? (Of course need to use the metal bracket thing vs. just a nail)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 7:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this vertical horitzontal plane deal. So the support should line up like

||

vs.
    _
    _
    Yes, like that.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    Good? (Of course need to use the metal bracket thing vs. just a nail)

Yes, that is correct. If you meant a joist hanger, when you said "metal bracket thing" you should know that they need to wrap around the bottom of the joist, which requires sheetrock removal. 3 3" screws through the joists and into the brace into each side of the joist brace should be sufficient.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 8:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright I have pictures now ^_^:

I'm thinking if I mount near the light that would be good because that's the center of the garage and would give us the most circling space:

Middle of Garage:

Another pic of the garage:

Now for the real meat:

Issues I'm noticing here. The joists are only 1 1/2 inches vertically and 3 1/2 inches horizontally. The joists go about 10 ft long and then meshed together with another 10 ft long joist. They are spaced about 22 3/4 inches apart.

As you can notice here all the joists are heading horizontally in my attic not vertically from my garage. Here you can see the metal meshy things that they used to piece the joists together.

Here is the top part of my attic that is the skeleton for my roof for illustration

Another part of the garage from the attic. There is a metal pipe here which I think is my sprinkler system?

There is this wooden beam that is running through the middle of the garage near where the light fixture and the garage door opener is.

Here is how I put in the ceiling fans. This is the metal bracket thingy I was talking. Looks like it's the wrong type though.
    Last edited by newbie999; 7/22/2009 8:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Yes, like that.

Yes, that is correct. If you meant a joist hanger, when you said "metal bracket thing" you should know that they need to wrap around the bottom of the joist, which requires sheetrock removal. 3 3" screws through the joists and into the brace into each side of the joist brace should be sufficient.
    Is there any way to do this without having to rip out my drywall? If I have to rip out my drywall I might as well just go all out and get a rafter mount and just bolt it between two of the joists.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 9:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [woodpurist] You have 2 x 4 trusses. They are not strong enough to attach a 75+ lb. heavy bag to one or even two of them in my opinion. It can be done, but you will almost certainly pop the sheetrock of the nails around the bag mount due to the trusses flexing. [/woodpurist]

Sorry to be somewhat lazy, but I don't really want to type a description that would take 20 minutes to manually enter versus a five minute phone call. If you're interested newbie999, send me a PM with your phone number and we can discuss how to mount the bag safely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming because of the how little the wood supports are I cannot do a wall mount either? Good thing I actually took pictures instead of just trying to mount it. I'll PM you my number. Sounds like I may need a professional to eventually install this judging from what your probably going to tell me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 5:38pm

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ick. It it's going to cost me that much time, effort, and money to hang a bag in my garage, I'm just going to remind myself that there are stand-alone mounts for heavybags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can find a stand along mount for a heavy bag that I can circle 360 degrees in and doesn't cost a fortunate (e.g. - the $800 Title boxing steel frames or the expensive $500+ TKO professional grade ones) I might reconsider (I thought the Title Double Trouble Stand might work, but I don't think I could fit it with my two cars in there).

I prefer a hanging mount over anything because of the ability to circle around it 360 degrees and the ability to take out the bag and still have room to park my cars in the garage when it is not in use. I know you can move certain stand alone frames away, but there is not any room in my garage for something that big with my two cars parked it and one with wheels...an everlast model...costs $380 and still can't circle 360 degrees. My only other resort would be to build a steel frame and bolt it to the foundation so my little civic can fit underneath it (Or just buy the Title boxing steel frame for $800), but it will probably cost a ton of money as well.

I know a few people have suggested just buying a Wavemaster XXL, but I only have room for it outside and they are pretty hard to move once you fill them up with sand. Plus weathering concerns me a bit putting it outside.

Maybe I'm just being really picky and very hard headed I dunno. Either way, I'm hoping I've providing a lot of good info for bullies in the future looking to mount a heavy bag on the ceiling given the pre-fab construction of my home.
    Last edited by newbie999; 7/23/2009 7:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, so I mention if I can find a free standing heavy bag hanger that will allow me to move 360 degrees around it then I fine one:

It's made my Century (Model - Cornerman) though so I"m not so sure about it now. The Corner angle is perfect though for fitting in between our cars.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast