Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 3:39pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bob White: Is this Kenpo Dojo BS?

I wanted some of your professional opinions on a place nearby.
    Nearby there is a Kenpo school taught by a guy named Bob White who is one of the few remaining students who trained directly under Ed Parker. Now, believe me, I fully understand that Kenpo/Kempo is one of the worst TMA's that are fraught with total bullshit McDojos, but, this place has: a) actually produced a few MMA fighters (most notably a guy named Jeff Newton who was the KOTC champion for a little while), b) produced quite a large number of world champion karate fighters, and, c) for the past 30 years they have completely dominated the open karate tournaments in Southern California. They are not a franchise, just a single dojo. Bob White (a 9th degree BB, who when I asked him, humbly said that he refuses to accept a 10th dan because he never wants to stop learning) has taught almost all of the classes himself for the past 30 years, and still does. When he was young he was known for participating on the team which defeated the Chuck Norris team for 1st Place at the International Karate Championships, and for fighting on the National All Star Black Belt Team, which went undefeated in 1973 and 1974. I am very hesitant when it comes to most TMA's, but from my point of view, this place seems like by far the most legitimate one I have ever seen or heard of. I thought this would be the best place to ask, so what do you guys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    I wanted some of your professional opinions on a place nearby.
    Nearby there is a Kenpo school taught by a guy named Bob White who is one of the few remaining students who trained directly under Ed Parker. Now, believe me, I fully understand that Kenpo/Kempo is one of the worst TMA's that are fraught with total bullshit McDojos, but, this place has: a) actually produced a few MMA fighters (most notably a guy named Jeff Newton who was the KOTC champion for a little while), b) produced quite a large number of world champion karate fighters, and, c) for the past 30 years they have completely dominated the open karate tournaments in Southern California. They are not a franchise, just a single dojo. Bob White (a 9th degree BB, who when I asked him, humbly said that he refuses to accept a 10th dan because he never wants to stop learning) has taught almost all of the classes himself for the past 30 years, and still does. When he was young he was known for participating on the team which defeated the Chuck Norris team for 1st Place at the International Karate Championships, and for fighting on the National All Star Black Belt Team, which went undefeated in 1973 and 1974. I am very hesitant when it comes to most TMA's, but from my point of view, this place seems like by far the most legitimate one I have ever seen or heard of. I thought this would be the best place to ask, so what do you guys think?
    Sounds like love, buy a ring!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob White is the real deal. Parker's guys from the "blood and guts" era predate much of the BS in Kenpo today.

Unfortunately Kenpo means "Law of the fist", I'm not sure there is a Kanji for "Excluded Middle".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Bob White is the real deal. Parker's guys from the "blood and guts" era predate much of the BS in Kenpo today.

Unfortunately Kenpo means "Law of the fist", I'm not sure there is a Kanji for "Excluded Middle".
    Yeah I figured it would probably be a good place to go for stand-up. Right now I'm debating whether to go to a pretty good local MMA gym that I checked out, or to Bob White's place. I obviously realize that the MMA place will make me MUCH more well rounded (mainly b/c I have no real wrestling skills), but I don't know if I'm up for all the injuries most MMA guys suffer, and I don't plan on becoming an actual fighter. With some BJJ under my belt I figured going to Bob's place would make me well rounded enough. But I'm still not sure, and whichever I decide on I'm going to seriously commit to, so I've been looking for other people's input on this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a Bob White seminar when I participated at the Long Beach tournament in 2006. He seemed like a very intense man who drove his students hard. The poor slacker brown belts who signed up for his tournament fighting seminar were exhausted at the end of the class, but they learned a lot in a short time. Bob White seemed like the real deal to me and gave outstanding advice to seminar students, I'm would think his school would be worth a try, say a good 3-5 months and then you'll know for sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. This is just what I was looking for in responses. I think I'll give it a try, and if I don't like it I'll go to an mma gym.