Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 4:01pm

Style: wingchunkickboxingfencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    zig zag and upper cut and push him with side kick . Is feet are too wide use is weakness against him.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 4:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, i really need to keep my freakin hands up. i actually thought i had them up more this time, but the video says different.

and pretty much everything kidSpatula said still stands i reckon.

here are 4 more rounds, the last one is boxing only. i think i'll stop recording for a few weeks, otherwise i'll end up with a bazillion videos of pretty much the same stuff and not so much improvement. maybe in a month there'll be enough change to be worth recording.

YouTube - Kevin and Dan sparring Rd1 week 2

YouTube - Kevin and Dan sparring Rd2 week 2

YouTube - Nick and Dan sparring week 2

YouTube - Pauly and Dan sparring week 2

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 5:03pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've gotten a lot of really good feedback so far, and I think you can watch your own vids and pick out some issues to work on. Drilling and training hard for a month before you post again seems like a reasonable idea to me. Keep watching your own vids though, and see what you can pick out to work on.

I would say 2 things here though.
    1) When you change levels to punch to the body, make sure the level change comes from your legs, not from bending forward. That forward lunge and bend is going to get you a knee in the face.
    2) Keep your eyes on your opponent when you are defending, even covering. You seem to turtle up and throw a blind punch (usually the overhand right) when you are on the receiving end of a combo. Respond to each punch with slipping, head and body movement, etc. The double pillar (2 hands up blocking around your head) works great, but you need to work on the defensive movement that comes with it.

I'd focus on one or 2 aspects of your standup for a while and work intensively on that. If you try to fix everything at once, you may get overwhelmed and not make any noticeable improvement. Primary objective should be keeping those hands up. Second should be defensive and evasive movement (in my opinion). Once you feel you have improved there, video again and pick another aspect to work on.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great vids!
    Decent skills to base off of, too.

Lots of great advice, here. One
    of the most important, don't try
    to "fix" everything at once.

And, seriously, you need a jab,
    and a teep, dude. A real jab will
    not only help with your set ups,
    but, make room and move the
    opponent. Even in light sparring,
    you should be snapping that thing.

Your techniques in 'light' sparring
    should not be harder, but, crisper
    and cleaner!

And, a good teep is essential and
    will save you many times. Get one.

Extras:
    -spar hard, get used to being hit.
    -stop standing in the opponent's pocket.
    -learn to move forward when crowded.

good luck, bro!
    `~/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 7:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's funny is that a lot of the advice here I kinda already know intellectually, but I just don't implement it while sparring. I'm going to keep watching the videos and slapping myself, then rereading this thread.

Yeah meex, I should probably focus on improving a couple of things at a time. Good idea.

As for hard sparring, yeah I do it occasionally. What started this whole push to improve was getting a concussion a couple of months ago that put me on the bench for a while. It's really motivated me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 7:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's funny is that a lot of the advice here I kinda already know intellectually, but I just don't implement it while sparring. I'm going to keep watching the videos and slapping myself, then rereading this thread.

Yeah meex, I should probably focus on improving a couple of things at a time. Good idea.

As for hard sparring, yeah I do it occasionally. What started this whole push to improve was getting a concussion a couple of months ago that put me on the bench for a while. It's really motivated me.

Posted On:
    7/26/2009 11:24pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it's just like your BJJ training Danno, you need hours and hours of work constantly keeping the same little error in mind to make tiny steps of improvement. I'll leave the critique to the more experienced guys here, looking forward to meeting you at an Aus TD.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where do you live, sang? do you reckon you'll make it to a sydney throwdown?

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 7:37am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Brisbane but should be able to make it to a Sydney TD eventually. I want to take a little BJJ before then though so i have something to do when no one wants to strike.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 8:58am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took everyone's advice an spared hard on Saturday. I feel like I have whiplash from getting punched in the head so many times. Thankfully no one has noticed my black eyes and face bruises because they're so concerned about my ridiculous limp...I think I broke my fucking toe when I had a (v badly timed) kick blocked.

And worst of all, the "camera-person" screwed up so I have no vid... the camera-person was thus made to go three rounds. For that we do have vid :)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast