Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:37pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's entirely possible KidSpatula has said this already, and better, but here goes anyway-

Your partner was overwhelmingly controlling the pace of both of those rounds and you were mainly reacting to him. Nobody is fast enough to play a reaction game if the opponent is dictating the action. If that's what you want to do, you have to set him up to do things you're able to counter effectively.

Your kicks are good, but the way you're using them is ineffective. You're just throwing them on their own, and it's not hard to see them coming. Throw them in a combination, or set them up with your footwork, but I've eaten a few crosses that tell me that just chucking them out there is a really good way to miss or get countered.

On the subject of combinations...well, there mostly aren't any. There was one nice one in the second half of the first round that looked pretty good- you got him thinking about his head and then cracked his leg while he was covering up. But for the most part you're throwing one and two at a time. Unless you're faster than lightning and have anvils for hands, I don't think that's going to do much but annoy an opponent, and they'll know you're not going to really pressure them.

Anyway, that's what I saw, and it's entirely possible I'm blowing hot air.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 4:09pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of good feedback above - Print KidSpatula's comments off and read them to yourself before you go to bed every night. She clearly knows her ****.

I would add 2 things -

Your head and upper body movement is really limited (read:nonexistent). Watch the vid, and you'll see that your head is dead square over your hips and between your shoulders 95% of the time. That is a gift wrapped present for a counter puncher or any defensive boxer. I'd say do some work on the double end bag, some slip drills, bob and weave drills, and general evasiveness work. That includes footwork! Also, try to come out of combo / clinch situations with your hands up and your head moving evasively. Watch some boxers training clips, and high level boxing fights. Their heads are in constant motion.

Hip and shoulder rotation - you are throwing your punches with just your arms, and your kicks with just your legs. Open the hips up and rotate them into the kicks. Footwork is vital here. Rather than kicking in a manner that leaves your toes pointed together, rotate on your planted foot, and lead with the hip then the shin. I know you were light sparring in this one, but you can do the movement correctly to create the potential for power, even if you don't throw the kick hard or follow through fully. Think of it like hitting a ball with a bat - or that gay cricket game. The batter places his forward foot out and open, rotates his hips an instant before his shoulders begin to rotate, and the arms / bat follow. Each link in the chain of movement enhances the next, and the maximum velocity and power are developed through this "kinetic linking" process. The principle applies to kicks and punches as well. You can practice on the heavy bag to get the power developed, then work with pads. Again, watch top level fighter vids and you'll see the way they throw power, but still have the speed to make it effective. The added bonus here is that once you demonstrate that you have power you can fake / feint much more effectively. If your opponent doesn't care whether you hit him or not, he won't respond to a fake. If you land a couple of solid shots, you'll be able to feint and effectively draw his guard - that's when you land the strikes you want.

Overall good vids - props for posting yourself and being open to some feedback.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    that gay cricket game...
    I say hold on sir! Good Lord! Empire founded and whatnot, eh? Eh?!

To the OP, hope you're feeling the love here dude. I don't think anyone is trying to bash you, just constructive criticism Bullshido style :)

Some good advice all round

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wooo! thank you all! especially KS. and alex.

i'll make sure i read all of this over a few times.

about the ring - i'm pretty sure someone else was using it right up until we started, and i don't think i was paying attention or cared so much when they left it. i was actually planning to use it beforehand. the next video will definitely be in the ring.

about striking with power - i can actually hit quite hard and heavy, especially the kicks. i get told by a lot of people that i kick freakin' hard. i was really making sure that i pull back on the power while sparring kev.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 6:51pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw more lead leg low kicks (ankle picks/sweeps) to his lead leg. At 1:24 of the second video he looked really vulnerable to it. Also lower your base a little more and throw more feints...just my two cents...other than not hitting as hard as him you looked real good over all!!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post

about striking with power - i can actually hit quite hard and heavy, especially the kicks. i get told by a lot of people that i kick freakin' hard. i was really making sure that i pull back on the power while sparring kev.
    You can still commit to your kicks without slamming people with them. This is a matter of being able to keep your leg loose and relax and exploding into the kick without trying to drive through hard with your leg when you make contact. Pulling your kicks is just a bad habit to get into.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    thanks.

yeah, i don't tend to block kicks much, which is a problem. though i also tend to land them quite often.

as for being tense, i think i had an issue before of relaxing too much. lately i've been trying to pick up the speed and aggression a little. if i seem tense, that might explain why.

regarding the pause when kevin closes in, i'm working on trying to gain composure when someone flurries on me. i'd like to be able to throw more counters and not close my eyes when they get that close. i guess i'm still trying to figure this part out.
    This will all come with time, the more you spar the easier it will be and the better you will get. Also listen to KidSpatula she really knows what she's talking about, utilize that ring it's your friend not your enemy. Finally when you spar you shouldn't have to think about what your going to do, just let it all flow out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    You can still commit to your kicks without slamming people with them. This is a matter of being able to keep your leg loose and relax and exploding into the kick without trying to drive through hard with your leg when you make contact. Pulling your kicks is just a bad habit to get into.
    rightio, i'll keep that in mind next time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ring will help you on not retreating backwards too. Always try and circle, always have an angle. While you're circling and not being driven, you can work to shut down your oppo's angles and drive him backwards. He can't get you in a corner, but the next thing he knows, he's got ropes either side (obviously, if he's half trained he's trying to do the same thing!).

It's hard to practice this in a wide open space, for obvious reasons...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 1:40am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with KidSpatula, use the light sparring to master the mechanics of footwork > hip pivot/rotation > leg extension > kick (pull back on this one if light sparring) > impact > recovery into stance.

Edit: Toughest part is unlearning the bad habits and relearning the more effective one.
    Last edited by Whathappened; 7/24/2009 1:49am at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast