Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 8:44am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Service Records of the Hundred Years' War

The "service records" of a quarter of a million soldiers who fought in the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) have gone online in a searchable database, part of a collaborative research project between the universities of Southampton and Reading.

Was your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather one of them, or were all his tales of Agincourt a pile of crock?

http://www.icmacentre.ac.uk/soldier/database/

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    The "service records" of a quarter of a million soldiers who fought in the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) have gone online in a searchable database, part of a collaborative research project between the universities of Southampton and Reading.

Was your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather one of them, or were all his tales of Agincourt a pile of crock?

http://www.icmacentre.ac.uk/soldier/database/
    I'm fairly startled by the premise that they have regimental rolls that date from the 100 Years War.

I mean "Chop me legs off and call me Shorty" but it seems a mite far fetched. The oldest regiment is technically the Honourable Artillery Company. Even so....the Grenadier Guards date form the late 17th C, and the Coldstream also, whereas the Scots Guards (or Scots Fusilier Guards may pre-date) but that's part of the Regimental system...everyone Regt is encouraged to believe its the best as part of its Esprit de Corps.

I seem to remember the first census only dated from c.1837 or so (that date might be when Victoria ascended the Throne) but you get the idea.

I'll have to pass that URL to my mil colleagues. It might surprise them or be good for a laugh.

Mind you, I once heard a kilt wearing Scot establish that another bloke in the pub was Welsh or similar to which he replied along the lines of..."You stood with us in 14** at the battle of ****". I was genuinely speechless and picked up my Guinness agog...

Service Records from 1337-1453. Blimey.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:12pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I put "service records" in scare quotes. They're not records in the modern sense, more scraps of information gleaned from a variety of sources and collated by two historians. Check out the database for more info and to get a sense of what they offer.

Here's to Drogba's new contract!