Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:10pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Apart from the mighty Chun, it's pretty generic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 3:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say the only questionable part might be whether his students are learning how to effectively defend themselves from someone with a knife, as knife defenses represent a significant part of his demonstration clips. Could someone who knows a bit more than me about weapons take a look at his videos? To my untrained eye there seems to be a fair dose of Bob Jackson techniques in the demonstrations.

But hey maybe I just don't know anything.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb View Post
    I would say the only questionable part might be whether his students are learning how to effectively defend themselves
    You'd have to ask sam b or someone, but i think they have to make specific claims to be fraudulent. As for bad techniques, the videos are loaded with them... There's no hard sparring or any resistance drills.

YouTube - SIFU Marc Davis - Sparring: Hands and Legs

Thats his sparring vid that i watched. I'm no expert, but it looks fairly average. There isn't any contact, so who knows, really. His technique vids aren't special...

YouTube - SIFU Marc Davis - Weapons: Knife Defence

Yeah, that looks fairly Chun. Love the slaps. The techniques dont look like very efficient or effective, but that may be my natural distrust of such techniques. I dont think, from the site and vids alone, this warrent much of an investigation. Feel free to disagree, though.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I agree, it really is just YMAS stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 6:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb View Post
    No I agree, it really is just YMAS stuff.

It does look Wing Chun with Kicks to me
    So can we get this moved the YMAS?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 7:51am

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Knife defence (2), the second defence (11sec) he does a deep snake of the knife arm, leaving his opponent with plenty of room to stab him (we train not to snake a bladed weapon).

Sixth disarm (29sec), he lets go of the knife to do a ridge hand to his opponent. The knife is between the 2 men. Not very safe.

He can move, but watching the knife video above, I don't see much reality there. In a knife confrontation, I can't think of a reason to hold your knife out in front of your body like that unless you are trying to force an attack by draw, but the student doesn't answer so I would have to say no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 9:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by k_raben View Post
    In Knife defence (2), the second defence (11sec) he does a deep snake of the knife arm, leaving his opponent with plenty of room to stab him (we train not to snake a bladed weapon).

Sixth disarm (29sec), he lets go of the knife to do a ridge hand to his opponent. The knife is between the 2 men. Not very safe.

He can move, but watching the knife video above, I don't see much reality there. In a knife confrontation, I can't think of a reason to hold your knife out in front of your body like that unless you are trying to force an attack by draw, but the student doesn't answer so I would have to say no.

He does claim to know Kali and Silat, from the vids you have sen would you agree?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 10:04am

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watching him move, I would say he knows some kali/silat.

But, a lot of what he does doesn't seem safe.

In the video posted above, weapons: knife defence, he's moving the blade out of the way and closing to the attackers inside. Not controlling the weapon hand, he's asking to be stabbed. Let's say he neutralizes the knife, moving to the inside could still be dangerous because he doesn't know what weapons the attacker carries if any on their left side (see DB videos).

Where I train, we train knife attacks to control the weapon and triangle outside to put space between you and the live hand as much as possible.

Again, this is just my tactical point of view.

ken

Posted On:
    7/24/2009 9:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe when we see a nice friendly neighborhood mod we can get this thread moved to YMAS.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    I don't, but to list them all as styles he has studied is a bit misleading.
    That's like taking a months worth of BJJ and then adding that to your list.
    You specifically said he mastered them; I'll bold it for you in case you forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    http://www.md-martialarts.com/md-mar...ages/about.jsp

Seems like a lot of styles for one man to master at such a young age.
    Bullshido yes/no?
    He claimed he had experience in those arts, not mastery. Do you feel these are realistic claims he is setting?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2009 3:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    Maybe when we see a nice friendly neighborhood mod we can get this thread moved to YMAS.

You specifically said he mastered them; I'll bold it for you in case you forgot.

He claimed he had experience in those arts, not mastery. Do you feel these are realistic claims he is setting?
    He needs to explain how much experiance he has, especially as he is teaching and charging.
    He has studied a lot of Japanese MA's and yet he teaches MD Kung Fu. What is MD Kung Fu?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast