Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 12:27am

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MacYoung is talking about the Str33t. Naturally, Grappling (seizing someone in order to break their limbs, cutting off their air and blood supply to their brain, break their necks, and generally causing a great of pain) is not going work. Striking your attacker is the only option (after all primates don't use you hand to grasp things, only to hit with them). Clinching and takedowns only happen in the ring. Since you will break your hands if you strike with your fists, you can only use elbows and headbutts. The only problem I have with MacYoung is I don't why I should use his materials for the Str33t then take lessons from Ashida Kim or a certain Turtle Hermit.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 8:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TMA:
    Wrestling
    Boxing
    Judo
    Jujutsu
    Kyokushin Karate
    Muay Thai
    To name only a few.

Which one of those are NOT "real fighting" based ??

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All he does is say things that MANY POSTERS ON THIS VERY BOARD have been saying better and in more detail all along. I don't know why it is that people get excited about Mac Young. Is it the "Animal" infixed nickname? Is it his inaccessibility? Or is it the fact that he has a complete set of videos and books that he will sell you, (and probably has sold you which results in your being so desperate to pump him up)?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 12:46pm

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel, the problem with Marc MacYoung is two fold. One, he seems to think that the whole of grappling is pulling guard, fighting on the ground and submission is only for making people tap out.

Two, he says the term martial arts is a misnomer. This is because he doesn't know how to use a dictionary. Martial=of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior. Art= skills acquired by experience, study, or observation. Ergo, any skill aquired by experience, study, or observation that is of, relates to, or is suited for war or a warrior is a martial art. He argues that there is no equivalient term in the Asian Languages and TMAs so the term is a misnomer. I know of no scholar of Asian culture or language that says that Asian TMA do not meet the conditions matched by the English term because the term is very broad, I do not see how it is possible for there to be no terms in any Asian language that are the approximal equivalent the English term martial art. I do not know of any translator of the Asian languages does not use the Martial Art when refering to Asian war arts, fighting styles, or combatives. His argument sounds almost racist. Only Europeans have martial arts because their the only ones so focused on war?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 12:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its amazing how "traditionalists" like Kubota, Yamashita, kimura, Blumming, Carlos Gracie and more than I have time to mention, have NO problem in make their "traditional martial arts" effective for them.
    Must be the food they eat.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive read some of macyoung's books, some thing are ok, lot of other stuff i dont agree with so much. i own a shitload of books and videos, some good, a lot of them crappy. seems like you have to dig thru a ton of dirt to find one nugget of something useful
    16 years till retirement.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jack,
    Yes, that argument is essentially total bull bollocks.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Marasmos

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark The Animal McYoung is a problem.

He is eloquent enough to make people believe him, and the crap he peddles will get these people hurt.
    You say what about my rice?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/27/2004 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Its amazing how "traditionalists" like Kubota, Yamashita, kimura, Blumming, Carlos Gracie and more than I have time to mention, have NO problem in make their "traditional martial arts" effective for them.
    Must be the food they eat.
    Yeah funny how that is. I actually think its the bottled water.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/28/2004 8:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has to be either what they eat OR drink, heck, maybe BOTH ??
    It CAN'T be the Martial arts they train in.
    Last edited by Ronin; 1/28/2004 2:20pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast