224823 Bullies, 3278 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,664

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 11:39am

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Have any of you fucking idiots ever actually studied Jun Fan?
    I got the Jun Fan Kickboxing curriculum common in JKD Concepts at Joe Maffei's JKD school in early/mid 90's, and I got a chance to study BL's modified Wing Chun with James DeMile about a year later (although not for as long as I would have liked).

    I certainly never studied at a Jun Fan specific school like Ted Wong's, but I know enough about it to form an opinion.

    You?
  2. wingchunx2z is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    767

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:00pm


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, you derailed a thread where someone was providing information about their school.

    Here is part of your first post.


    He asked a question based on your derail, it was moved.



    Then don't post in here.



    Yeah you do care or else, you wouldn't be crying and being redundant. You have said "I don't care" 3 times now.

    You do care.

    No, you turned a thread, about BMS Wushu, into a Jun Fan discussion.

    That is called a derail, quit crying and pay attention. Your choice.

    What's worse, as usual, you talk about things you admittedly don't know.

    Unacceptable.
    No I don't care cause see after I typed that, y'no what I did? I went out with a freind from wing chun cuz I have a y'know life.. the whole time I was out I can guarantee you I wasn't stewing over about how mad I was at a forum on the internet for moving a post that took me like 3minutes to make, in fact I didn't even think about this little thread of yours again until I logged into yahoo and saw several responses to it. In any case, I see what you're saying concerning ym original bringing up of jun fan. However, from my understanding fo what he was saying it souined alot like jun fan and I just wanted him to look into theier stuff and see if it was similar. It wasn't supposed to be a derail just a one post thought.

    I do see how that could be misconstrued as a derail attempt so in that respect I apologize to star and the members who were negatively affected by the post.
  3. wingchunx2z is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    767

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:08pm


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    As I think we discussed previously, this video barely qualifies as sparring. It's somewhat non-compliant, sure, but not fully. How often does someone take a hit and keep going?

    The table does not add anything except an automatic "reset" every few hits/seconds, when someone gets hit they turn away, half the techniques are done in a mock style instead of just doing them...

    If we're going to produce this video, I think it's important to qualify it as not quite the embodiment of "non-compliant" or "sparring."
    Firstly I specefically stated you all had already seen it and were not impressed, and all your faults with it were noted and I ahve made changes to some fo my drillign absed on positive critique. However, I said it wasn't for you it was for star to see another chunner out there so he wouldn't think he was the only one from a supposed chun line who'd put out a video.

    Secondly no where in my post did I state this actual video was one of me sparring. I just said "here's one of me" I was very carefull to avoid saying it was my sparring video becasue I knew despite my disclaimer you'd all jump on em for that.

    A few misconceptions on your part as a viewer. When we were engaging nothing was compliant. It was 100% resistant. The point of it was to help each other get better. When he continually made mistakes I tried to help him out. I didn't put the video up to show my awsome wing chun punching bag skills, Simply to show the people the kind of work I'm starting with.

    The assesment that we were pulling attacks. The only thing I pulled intentionally was the one shot I took, eyegouges and kneestrikes. Everything else I tried to hit with. Wing chun doesnt chamber for power so it will probably look like it wasn't that hard to you. I assure you though both my opponent and I were attacking each other with the intent to conenct and at about 50<70% my 70% kick to his gut is what ended the sparring match ebcasue he started breathing hard and his stomach gurgle a little unnaturally so we stopped.

    If you think my hits had no power, fine if you think the table was restricting us fine, But at the very least it was an alive drill and it was non compliant.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:18pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    No I don't care cause see after I typed that, y'no what I did? I went out with a freind from wing chun cuz I have a y'know life.. the whole time I was out I can guarantee you I wasn't stewing over about how mad I was at a forum on the internet for moving a post that took me like 3minutes to make, in fact I didn't even think about this little thread of yours again until I logged into yahoo and saw several responses to it.
    Interesting I said care. I never sad you were mad. You just used that word.

    You were mad.

    Thanks for that.

    In any case, I see what you're saying concerning ym original bringing up of jun fan. However, from my understanding fo what he was saying it souined alot like jun fan and I just wanted him to look into theier stuff and see if it was similar. It wasn't supposed to be a derail just a one post thought.
    You do not get the point.

    There is one issue and only one issue that belongs in that thread. He claimed it was a variant that has become a new art.

    Proof please.

    After the videos surface, everyone can comment on what it looks like, if it is different, or if it is the same old chun.
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,975

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:23pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Firstly I specefically stated you all had already seen it and were not impressed, and all your faults with it were noted and I ahve made changes to some fo my drillign absed on positive critique. However, I said it wasn't for you it was for star to see another chunner out there so he wouldn't think he was the only one from a supposed chun line who'd put out a video.

    Secondly no where in my post did I state this actual video was one of me sparring. I just said "here's one of me" I was very carefull to avoid saying it was my sparring video becasue I knew despite my disclaimer you'd all jump on em for that.

    A few misconceptions on your part as a viewer. When we were engaging nothing was compliant. It was 100% resistant. The point of it was to help each other get better. When he continually made mistakes I tried to help him out. I didn't put the video up to show my awsome wing chun punching bag skills, Simply to show the people the kind of work I'm starting with.

    The assesment that we were pulling attacks. The only thing I pulled intentionally was the one shot I took, eyegouges and kneestrikes. Everything else I tried to hit with. Wing chun doesnt chamber for power so it will probably look like it wasn't that hard to you. I assure you though both my opponent and I were attacking each other with the intent to conenct and at about 50<70% my 70% kick to his gut is what ended the sparring match ebcasue he started breathing hard and his stomach gurgle a little unnaturally so we stopped.

    If you think my hits had no power, fine if you think the table was restricting us fine, But at the very least it was an alive drill and it was non compliant.
    ^^^ This is why I moved your posts. You see chun and immediately go into defense mode, not reading or understanding the purpose of the thread.


    HE CLAIMS HIS ART IS NEW, RARE, AND NOT THE CHUN. So, all of the above is useless and further reinforces my point of moving your derail.

    Oh and it is dully noted that you like to play semantic games.
  6. 1point2 is online now
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,118

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 12:23pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Firstly I specefically stated you all had already seen it and were not impressed, and all your faults with it were noted and I ahve made changes to some fo my drillign absed on positive critique. However, I said it wasn't for you it was for star to see another chunner out there so he wouldn't think he was the only one from a supposed chun line who'd put out a video.

    Secondly no where in my post did I state this actual video was one of me sparring. I just said "here's one of me" I was very carefull to avoid saying it was my sparring video becasue I knew despite my disclaimer you'd all jump on em for that.

    A few misconceptions on your part as a viewer. When we were engaging nothing was compliant. It was 100% resistant. The point of it was to help each other get better. When he continually made mistakes I tried to help him out. I didn't put the video up to show my awsome wing chun punching bag skills, Simply to show the people the kind of work I'm starting with.

    The assesment that we were pulling attacks. The only thing I pulled intentionally was the one shot I took, eyegouges and kneestrikes. Everything else I tried to hit with. Wing chun doesnt chamber for power so it will probably look like it wasn't that hard to you. I assure you though both my opponent and I were attacking each other with the intent to conenct and at about 50<70% my 70% kick to his gut is what ended the sparring match ebcasue he started breathing hard and his stomach gurgle a little unnaturally so we stopped.

    If you think my hits had no power, fine if you think the table was restricting us fine, But at the very least it was an alive drill and it was non compliant.
    We've been through this before, but let me state for the record: the title of the video is "wing chun sparring PART 1"

    Your goal of putting up a video so the other WC guy doesn't feel singled out is laudable.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
  7. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 1:21pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    I got the Jun Fan Kickboxing curriculum common in JKD Concepts at Joe Maffei's JKD school in early/mid 90's, and I got a chance to study BL's modified Wing Chun with James DeMile about a year later (although not for as long as I would have liked).

    I certainly never studied at a Jun Fan specific school like Ted Wong's, but I know enough about it to form an opinion.

    You?
    I was addressing the fucking idiots.
  8. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,664

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 1:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I was addressing the fucking idiots.
    Lol.!
  9. wingchunx2z is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    767

    Posted On:
    7/24/2009 9:38am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by starjumps View Post
    Please find video as promised. Wasnt sure what to show forms or single drills etc. I decided on showing you our training it is a mixture of compliant and not compliant moves

    The point of this thread was that BMS Wushu is similar to Wing Chun yet very different do you agree?

    YouTube - Introduction to Basic BMS
    Personally I would disagree. And not to be rude or anyhitng in any way but I did not see a single non compliant movement in that video. I appreciate you putting it up and it looks liek a cool art but it's also very similar to what every wing chuns choll including my own does for drilling. Notice several times when you punch and he defends or vice versa you elave your arm out frozen in time while the other guy throws a side kick head snap then knee 5 times.

    This is an awsome combo and would be great in a fight if you could pull it off but drilling in this manner is no condusive to learning to do that except for th very beginning stages. I uinderstand it wsnt pre rehearsed and thats no what s meant by aliveness, the alive value will come from the amount of "fight" your opponent puts up and it msut comprise of at the very least: two moving combatants, there must be timing required to succesfully execute your techniques, and there must be enegy similar to what you woul recieve from a non compliant opponent.

    All in all though thanks for putting the vid up. Perhaps your sparring video is what makes u diff from jun fan adn wing chun though at the time I see very little differnce. Not to say you arent btu merely my observations are that you do the same things we do.
  10. wingchunx2z is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    767

    Posted On:
    7/24/2009 11:22am


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by starjumps View Post
    Another thing when we made the video it wasnít compliant but looking at the video it looks compliant thatís one thing we need to figure out how to show what actually happened rather than what it look on the video.
    I have some advice for you. you can use a formula. I do this whenever I'm trying to teach ppl how to train knife disarms. Most people will either hold it there till you grab their wrist and disarm or they will make one big slash then hold it while you do your thing. To break yourself out fo this complaint mode I tell them that the knife is contantly in motion. No matter what I do the knife does not stop moving and slashing until I force it to stop. This ensures that I am learning how to deal with the proper energy regarding an opponent who si not goign to stop and let me do ym thing. It ensures that I am physically forcing the opponent to stop attacking or slashing while I disarm. It makes the marker drill a thousand tiems harder as well.

    Sam can applied for h2h. Always be moving. Thje attacker should never freeze in one position. EVER. wing chun is made to adapt to the opponents reactions. It's not emant to be rigid boxed in responses no amtter wha tthe other guy does. You may stop the punch adn then go for your side kick but after you stop his punch he step to the side and grab your foot. you may have to cancel a combinatyion you're int he mioddle of to deal with what he's doing but moving and never freezing in place is a good place to start.

    Another way to add some aliveness and difficulty torandom refelx drills liek this is to tell him to throw at least a combination of 4 punches. Try to move in adn execute your attack adn counter on punch 2. In a real situation if an attack misses he's got another one on the way. People dont throw one big shot then stand there. So if you werre gogin to use a block then counter it would have to be able to interrupt thier intent to continue attacking. If you have them intend to hti u 4 times but you move in punch 2 then you know for a fact you are workign agasint their intent and forcing themt os top. this is a skill that can be translated for real fighting.

    Consider these things when doing you next demo if you think they might help.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.