Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2009 10:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shin Guards for Larger People

Does anyone have any recommendations for shin guards for larger people? I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs with calves that are 18" around. I have a reasonably athletic build (not too "tubby") for an older guy. I train mostly kick boxing and Thai boxing.

I've tried a few shin guards and I cannot seem to get the velcro straps to close around my calves. Title ("Adult") and Everlast (Large) don't fit....not even close. RevGear ProSpar (Large) also not even close. I've tried a couple of other brands that I don't recall at the moment.

I've been using "Karate-Style" foam shin guards because the straps fit. I usually secure them even more with athletic/ankle tape because they tend to slide around. I really hate'em. My sparring partners don't really like me using them either. These shin guards don't provide much protection and over the years I've come to "accept" bruises and welts. But a week-and-a half ago I checked a couple of kicks and I hand one of mine checked by someone's knee (an accident) and the swelling looked like someone put half an orange on my shin. My shin is still sore to the touch today. Ibuprofen and ice are my friends but enough is enough!

I'm hoping a couple of you larger guys can give my a good shin guard recommendation and cut down on the order, try, and return process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 9:07am

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The RevGear stuff goes up to XXL. I haven't measured my thighs lately (and haven't a tape measure with me), but I bet they're 16-20", and I use the larger RevGear size and it works fine.

I'd email them your exact dimensions and see if they can help you.

http://www.revgear.com/product/58/shin_guards

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realize the grappling style went to XXL. They don't have a sizing chart posted for this shin guard yet so I sent Revgear an email. Thanks.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 6:53pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twins large are big enough for me, and I'm taller than you. Also durable and comfortable, but they cannot be used for grappling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2009 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    k, i'll pitch in, and was even uber nice enough to put on my guard and take pics for you.

i'm roughly 6'2, and my calf size is around 17.7, not a midget by any measure, the ones i use are "kuma fight technology" brand.

looks like this, as you can see its fastened by 3 elastics that end with velcro, some will bitch "but you can teh scratch me :( " and you can tell them to STFU because when sparring, getting a little scratch is the last of your worries when i can buckle up your knee with one kick of my 17.7 inch thick calves.

This is from the back, its usual velcro hooks, but the middle one is note-worthy, as you can see the elastic has that fuzzy stuff on both sides, and it gets sandwhiched between the flaps with hooks, surprisingly, its very good and stays in there.

what it looks like when you wear it, one things i oh-so-love is that there isnt any of that annoying fucking instep pads with crappy elastic that slides down your foot and makes walking awkard, this one keeps your feet clear of that so i am much more mobile and comfy while battering your thighs and ribs, it actually came with a crappy tkd like instep/foot pad, but it was thankfully detachable (another velcro thing, the fuzzy part is inside the shin, hooks are on the foot piece, so you are in the clear)

incase you are worried about the fit, i am here stretching the elastic as much as i can, and you can see a couple of inches of stretchability left, so the 0.3 inch difference will be nada, also, it covers my whole shin, from the lower part all the way to under my knee, so you should be good.

now here are the few problems that prevent me from loving them so much to the point i masturbate with them.

1) hard to find, i got mine from ebay, the guards i bought were not the ones i was shipped, thankfully they turned out to be awesomer.

2) made of vinyl, on the inside, i sweat like a pig, so quickly they started slipping on your leg.

However after i decided to wrapping my leg with handwraps, or even just a normal piece of sweat absorbing cloth, fighting in them feels like sex.
    The padding is thick enough (none of my partners complained about scratching or feeling my shins, and it actually cushions well, to the point i can whack away at bags when i have black, blue and red bruises).

EDIT:
    actually, i decided to be even nicer and found them for you.
    http://www.dojobuy.com/

its listed at $40 canadian, i got the XL one, you can see the crappy krotty instep/foot part, take it off, its seriously crappy and has a place for your big toe
    Last edited by honest_truth; 7/25/2009 8:20pm at .