Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/14/2010 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this way late, but, what the hey!

www.fmalondon.com

I'm the founder of rapid arnis, BUT, I did found rapid arnis london and headed it for 4 years until I parted ways due to personal and political reasons( are there any other reasons?) and I also trained under Danny Guba for a while as well.
    I have my own club and do my own thing now and I am 20 seconds walk.from london bridge train station.
    I have no affiliations with anyone, anymore. I just have 38 years in the martial arts and more than willing to be tested by anyone on anything and will gladly own up to what I can and cannot do.

So, give me a shout if you so wish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2010 7:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure this isn't relevant anymore but while the thread has been resurrected I should point out that Danny Guba has moved his class to Fitness First on Gracechurch Street (EC3V). It's still on Wednesdays but I believe the hours have been extended to 19:00 to 20:45.

Sorry, the class is nothing to do with me so I'm not trying to advertise...just correct my now incorrect previous post!

Out of interest, if the OP still checks this thread, any chance of an update to how things worked out and what you decided to do?

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Rapid Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayy View Post

... I'm based in west London, work in central London, and could do north London too.

Thanks,
    I'm the Head Instructor for Rapid Arnis London, and i teach personals, intensive classes (for my seniors), and workshops in Barons Court/West Kensington (West London).

I also instruct at the SOAS Kali Society up in Kings Cross (North/Central London). These ones run Mondays and Thursdays evenings.
    www.rapidarnislondon.co.uk

Finally, i will be teaching at a new class in Westbourne Park (West/Central) on Wednesday nights. It's starting tomorrow, so there'll be many beginners.
    www.london-arnis.co.uk

With regards content, we actually do a lot more than just stick work. We're big into striking and grappling, and we do sparring sessions once a month (seniors will do 3 sparring sessions per month).

If you have any questions, or you'd like to come down and sit-in on a class, please get in touch :)

- Apologies for the self-promotion guys, but the classes seemed in easy reach for the OP.

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 3:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammx2 View Post
    I know this way late, but, what the hey!

www.fmalondon.com

I'm the founder of rapid arnis, BUT, I did found rapid arnis london and headed it for 4 years until I parted ways due to personal and political reasons( are there any other reasons?) and I also trained under Danny Guba for a while as well.
    I have my own club and do my own thing now and I am 20 seconds walk from london bridge train station.
    I have no affiliations with anyone, anymore. I just have 38 years in the martial arts and more than willing to be tested by anyone on anything and will gladly own up to what I can and cannot do.

So, give me a shout if you so wish.

Correction: I mistyped something on here, "I am NOT the founder of Rapid Arnis". I was, however, the founder of Rapid Arnis London and was head instructor for 4 years.

I just noticed my mistake. I apologize for any discrepancies.

www.fmalondon.com

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammx2 View Post
    Correction: I mistyped something on here, "I am NOT the founder of Rapid Arnis". I was, however, the founder of Rapid Arnis London and was head instructor for 4 years.

I just noticed my mistake. I apologize for any discrepancies.

www.fmalondon.com
    Wrong worng and wrong again. Firstly you as usual have back tracked because you have been caught out and thought you could tell people you have done something you never have. Remember telling you me and others in a pub in Dartford that you where in the American Rangers yet now you tell us on your web site you lived next to the biggest Marine Base in the World (By the way living next to it does not make you one) but then of course you where we fell about laughing as someone said 'Yeah bloody Flower Rangers'.

And secondly I founded Rapid Arnis London back in 1993, you see when Rapid Arnis was formed by myself and GM John Harvey there where originally two groups, Rapid Arnis Luton which was John and Rapid Arnis London which was me. And if you want proof I can show you the old copies of Martial Arts Ilustrated which showed results from a WEKAF British Championships that clearly state on the result tables from 1994, Rapid Arnis Luton, Rapid Arnis Stevenage, and beleive it or not Rapid Arnis London.

Yes you headed up the group for 4 years and in that time you where nothing but a headache, you constant bitching about your own students and other FMA systems, Doce Pares in particular and of course your constant bitching about WEKAF even though you had never participated in a single WEKAF event let alone attended one is one of the many reasons you are no longer part of Rapid Arnis International, probably the very same reason you got chucked out of Guba Doce Pares within the same year too, you know the system I used to bollock you about because of your constant slagging off. and as for
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammx2
    I parted ways due to personal and political reasons
    You partered ways due to the fact you simply could not hack it and you could not stop bitching about other instructors and styles of FMA and you just where basically too dam lazy to put in the effort. Put it this way, if you trained as hard as you spouted BS and bitched about how the world and god hated you, you would not be half bad. You just could not accept that you blamed everyone else for your own misgivings. And of course your constant BS.

What's all this on your website about learning from the best breakfaller in the world, a guy who supposedly fell from 30,000 feet or was is 3,000 feet? and survived, or was it you at 3 feet, because I have video footage of you at a grading falling like a sack of potatoes flat on your face, I can stick in on You tube if you like.

Readers, this man is a BS'er, a liar and talks a good fight, well he talks that is all I can say.

Damien, be carefull what you spout on on the internet, because you are not the only one with a computor, and remember what you would constnatly spout out about poking the bear with a stick?

Regards
    Pat
    FOUNDER OF RAPID ARNIS LONDON
    CO-FOUNDER OF RAPID ARNIS INTERNATIONAL
    Last edited by Pat OMalley; 3/30/2010 5:46pm at .

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

This is my first post here...

I'm in my mid thirties and based in London, and would like to start a Martial Art.

I was thinking of Eskrima/Kali as it seems to be more straightforward than some of the other MA's and less formal. I found two classes in London - can anyone provide me with some useful feedback?

http://www.dgdocepares.co.uk/
    http://www.rapidarnislondon.co.uk/

Thanks,
    I would say try as many as you can to see which one suits you best. GM Bob Breen has also been mentioned earlier but you also have Escrima Concepts under Master Steve Tappin's group. BIFF UK under Master Jay Dobrin, De Campo 1, 2, 3 Orihinal under Guro Tony Yarwood, CSSD/SC under Guro Darren Davies, there is also Warriors Eskrima who are under Master Krishna Godhania, Lapunti Arnis De Abanico under Master Simon Wells as well as Dog Brothers groups in London to name but a few.
    Log on here http://www.bckeai.co.uk to find a whole list of bonifide FMA clubs in and around the London area. This is the site of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors which is the largest non fee paying organisation that promotes and teaches FMA in the UK and has contact details of over 24 styles and their top instructors to choose from. I am sure there will be something that suits you best amongst them.

You can even come along to this years FMA Festival (5th) which will be held in Romford, Essex on the outskirts of London and you can get a cance to try out and train with 22 of the countries top instructors, Masters and Grand Masters in no less than 24 styles and that way you can see first hand over two days which system suits you best. Again go onto the BCKEAI web site for full details.

Best regards

Pat

Posted On:
    4/02/2010 1:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply...

Looking for something with movement and striking/takedowns rather than something like BJJ. Was interested in Eskrima because of the suggestion that it teaches striking in a more straightforward way, and liked the triangular movement in kali - not really interested in weapons based at all.

Must admit that do feel a bit old to be starting kickboxing, but would be great if you could name the other arts that would be quicker and easier to learn...

Thanks
    If you're not interested in weapons why do you think you would enjoy an art known for its weapons technique? Sure most FMA offers a direct approach to striking but so do many other non-weapons based arts. Ex. boxing and muay thai. When I started FMA I wasan't particularly interested in a weapons art either, the Guro did stress the importance of fitness which I liked, and class was hard as hell.
    If you want a quick easy martial art maybe TKD is what you need. TKD does offer some fitness benefits and it's easy to accelerate through the ranks. Of course, if you want a little more in a MA follow the recommendations others have already posted and see what's offered in your area. I'm all for getting people into FMA but I don't want to mislead people, if you don't want weapons learn something else. In FMA you will learn weapons!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 4:23pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    If you're not interested in weapons why do you think you would enjoy an art known for its weapons technique? Sure most FMA offers a direct approach to striking but so do many other non-weapons based arts. Ex. boxing and muay thai. When I started FMA I wasan't particularly interested in a weapons art either, the Guro did stress the importance of fitness which I liked, and class was hard as hell.
    If you want a quick easy martial art maybe TKD is what you need. TKD does offer some fitness benefits and it's easy to accelerate through the ranks. Of course, if you want a little more in a MA follow the recommendations others have already posted and see what's offered in your area. I'm all for getting people into FMA but I don't want to mislead people, if you don't want weapons learn something else. In FMA you will learn weapons!
    I have to concur with jspeedy here. Unless you focus on Sikaran or some types of Kuntao you should expect to spend the majority of your time training weapons if you do FMA. If you are not interested in training while using or training against weapons, you should probably avoid FMA.

If you like FMA empty hand work and you don't want to train weapons, you should strongly consider Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. There is a ton of overlap in the trapping used in FMA and the trapping seen in JKD. Furthermore, joint distructions, limb destructions, locks, throws, and striking of vital targets are all also have distinct similarities.

The footwork and some of the intent will be different, e.g. domination of the center line versus getting off angle and moving to the outside line but there is a ton of crossover as well. I train primarily FMA but do some JKD from time to time and it is natural fit from everything to the empty hand aspect of FMA to close in blade work with trapping.

Something to think about...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2010 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FMA's in my experience have a lot to offer in the way of empty hands, if you can find an exclusive teacher. Pangamut, Dumog, Sikaran, Panantukan, and Southern Silat, etc are all really nasty and efficient styles, but finding a school that focus primarily on empty hand is a difficult one. We are lucky in my town to have Guro Vic Ferrer and his Sikaran school producing some top-notch Empty Hand Competitive Fighters. Jason Belhumer and Aaron Racette are a couple. That's Filipino Martial Arts, but not Escrima though. A filipino based JKD program may suit your needs.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12