223516 Bullies, 3890 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grappling X - BJJ black eye

Today I went to a tournament that I didn't actually compete in.

The tournament was held by grappling X, http://www.grapplingx.com , who I have had little experience with but from now on I will not have any, and hopefully neither do you.

I wrote a short article about the silly rulesets here: I elect we rename BJJ to "Mary and Nancy pick flowers." - Page 6 - No BS Martial Arts

Let's start from the beginning:

First off, when I heard about this tournament, I was pretty excited. I've always wanted to enter a PANKRATION tournament and felt I could do pretty well.

So I sign up for the tournament and pay for it via paypal. I even let a few of my judo friends know what's up so they can come play.

Fast forward to yesterday (17th). I didn't quite want to cut down to 145 as I'm still in training for my fight in August, so I just played at my walking weight of 155. So I went to my dad's office (it's a medical clinic) and weighed myself there yesterday morning at around 10ish, at 155lbs. Just to be safe I didn't eat anything or drink anything until the weigh-in times which were at 4pm. So I go over to my house before my GF picks me up and weigh myself, I come in at 155lbs. I get over to my GF's house and I suit up in some sweats and plastic wrap and drop down to 153-154 on her scale. I weight myself several times to make sure and recalibrate the scale and do it over and over.

I have her drive me over to the weigh-ins and I get there only to be greeted with, "What's your name? Have you paid?" and an electronic scale.

For those of you who don't know, electronic scales use a pressure solenoid that reads off a certain voltage, that voltage is translated by the programmed screen and through a series of formulas tells you how much you weigh. The problem with this is that the electronic pressure solenoids become uncalibrated very easily, giving false positives for weight. This is why nobody uses electronic scales at real venues.

Anyway, I step on the scale and it reads off 159lbs. So it was obviously 5lbs heavy. I told them about having weighed myself 3 times and they just kind of shrugged their shoulders, so I said, whatever, I don't care. I'll fight at 165.

Now today I get to the tournament, get my wristband and head to where some of the guys from Judo are. The first thing I notice is that there is NO medical team. Not even a visible first aid kit. If there was a medical team there, they must've been in hiding or ninja status, because I saw nothing. No off duty EMT, no first aid kit, nothing.

Then I find out that they would be supplying equipment, for a very small fee of $10. The equipment would be rental 6oz fingerless mma gloves, which was $10 as I was told by the lady at the front and you would never see that $10 ever again. So I go to check the schedule and there's nothing about what time I need to be where or when what weight class was going to be working. I simply just stood around while they called classes out of order and without any real idea of when I was going.

So, no medical team, no supplied gloves for standardizing, and no first aid kit. Awesome.

I let all of that slide and still decided I would stay... until I actually started witnessing the matches. This was the straw that broke it for me. As I was watching matches, people on the mat who I thought were coaches were actually referees, coaching AND reffing the rounds at the same time. I distinctly remember seeing a mat ref coaching a fighter on the ground while the points ref was coaching the other fighter. Nobody was taking score, nobody was doing ****.

What the ****? What is this nonsense?

So let me recap this:

- No medical team.
    - No first-aid kit.
    - $50 entrance fee, $70 day of.
    - $10 "equipment rental" fee.
    - Refs were coaches and coaches were refs.
    - No set schedule.
    - No standardized attire (i.e. shin pads, wrestling shoes, it was all whatever you wish.)

After I saw that the coaches were reffing and the refs were coaching, I just gave up and I left. I politely told them why and they were nice enough to refund my entrance fee.

Conclusion: This was such a poorly run tournament. These grapplingx dudes saturate california with tournaments, but I think that they're just trying to make a buck. I don't even know if they are sanctioned by the california athletics commission. I don't know what they were trying to do, but it was horrible. I highly recommend that you guys stay away from their tournaments. Highly unprofessional and completely inappropriate. I heard a few complaints about them before, but I didn't expect to be hit in the face with a baseball bat full of failure and unprofesionalism.

I cannot believe I wasted all this time doing this when I could've been sleeping or something. I'm sorely disappointed in this group.
    Last edited by King Sleepless; 7/18/2009 5:08pm at .

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:38pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had no idea they even existed, thanks for the heads up.

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:40pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why didn't you tell them they were fucking idiots?

jeees youth of today.....

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Why didn't you tell them they were fucking idiots?

jeees youth of today.....
    Politics.

Hopefully this goes up on the front page.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying there will be no video of the pankration tournament you talked up previously? Why am I not surprised.... I can't wait until Munacra chokes you silly....

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try not trolling this thread.

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:20pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    So you're saying there will be no video of the pankration tournament you talked up previously? Why am I not surprised.... I can't wait until Munacra chokes you silly....
    Sirc, you may be a dink but I have $20 riding on you. Don't loose plz.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, there is another thread for this crap cut it out.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you assholes shut the **** up? Jesus Christ you fucking pieces of ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 4:51am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear, well... aside from the hideous organisational faux pas that it was... was any of the groundwork/grappling/whatever they decided to do actually any good good, or did that fall foul of the shambles that was the 'organising' or the event?

As a relative newcomer to this MA malarkey.... this is the sort of crap that really puts me off.

And as for their rule set? .... Jesus-Titty-fucking-Christ, there might even be a slight trace of MA in there somewhere after all that fucking water has been poured in from a great height...

I mean, I understand some things not being allowed, due to inexperienced players... but it just looks like all it's going to do is slow the bouts down to a crawl with stoppages every five seconds... surely it would make more sense to simply have a basic set up for the rules that allows more flexibility when more experienced and qualified people are rolling and more stringent rules for inexperienced players - the more experience you have the less rigid rules you have to follow, as long as your opponent is not seriously going in way above their level (white Vs Black for example would have to work within white belt rule set). Would something drawn up from this basic premise work better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast