is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any point in going to local MMA shows?

Last night I went to a local MMA show, called Rebel Fighter in Placerville, CA. It was hosted in quonset hut on a county fairgrounds, and the audience was populated by the type of people you'd generally expect to find in a quonset hut on a county fairgrounds.

The fighters were the types of guys who were 1-0 or 2-5, from MMA schools you probably couldn't find with google. The one notable exception was a fighter from Gilbert Melendez's new school. I actually got to meet Gilbert, and apart from being pissed that his fighter lost, he was really cool. We talked about his upcoming fight with Thompson, his conditioning, Strikeforce, etc.

My brother and I were seemingly the only ones in the crowd who recognized him, because he was just chilling outside during the intermission kind of standing around by himself.

Anyways, I've got a lot of respect for these guys for getting in the cage, but I'm not expecting to see any gogoplatas or D'Arce chokes either. So, is there really any point in going to these things?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 12:29pm

Style: Beginners Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, absolutely. If only for the fact that those smaller shows sometimes are feeders for the larger shows and attending them and showing your support helps the sport of MMA grow in general. On a more selfish note, you never know when you'll see the next up and coming MMA star getting their start there.

They tend to be relatively cheap and even though you'll see a lot of crappy fights, once in a while you'll see a great fight live for not very much money, which, in my opinion makes it worth it. For example, the promotion I fought for, while it held my fight (crappy) at its next event had pre-UFC Jon Jones fighting (awesome).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 12:39pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    live fights are entertaining. that's the only point. if you aren't entertained by watching amatuer fights, dont go. if you enjoy them and have nothing better to do, then go. i don't think there's any more to it than that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The amateur mma fights also help to keep some schools going. A friend of mine runs a school and he puts on combination amateur submission grappling fights and pro wrestling events. This gets fights for his students with other schools in the area and makes him enough money to keep the school going...barely.

So remember you going to these rinky-dink amateur events may mean the difference for a good mma school to make rent that month.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can go to a show and talk to guys like Gilbert Melendez without being mobbed...wait how do you not know you answered your own question?
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
    You can go to a show and talk to guys like Gilbert Melendez without being mobbed...wait how do you not know you answered your own question?
    Good point.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 2:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you have a good time? That's the most relevant question, and I can't quite tell from your post. If you had a good time then all the "support the sport" arguments are beside the point.

I assume you went because you enjoy MMA. I'd imagine local shows probably help keep it robust. A sport cannot thrive on the upper echelon alone. More people at local shows means more local shows, and more local shows should hopefully mean more fighters with more experience (and better fighters because of it). Little shows become bigger shows, little gyms become bigger gyms, etc.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ditto

And I agree with supporting the lower levels of fights. They are often amusing and sometimes great. SLC had two BJJ bbs in the final match recently and the difference between them and the n00byer types was very large.

Nobody from Westside BJJ here in Ogden and Logan has made it to the UFC, though the Logan guys have a 2 - 0 record in SLC!

There are some real good people and some rough slobs and wannabe tough guys, all in a mix. It's funny to watch the "tough" street fighter type get owned by a calm, much less tattoo'd tech JJ fighter. One of the Okinawan karate bbs from Logan entered the heavy weight SLC Combat Experience fights and won, KO'd the guy with one punch - real fun if you are his buddy!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 3:14pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1: entertainment

2: surely the 'main event' had a decent local prospect?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 6:55pm

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I might be biased but!

I guess I shouldn't respond to this thread since I run,& fight in the amature fights shows that are in the Q-Huts, but what the hey,

Empire State Warrior Challenge

A few points to make here

Any sport at the entry level is going to have some less than stellar bouts, I boxed in jr high, High school & college, I have competed at local shows & national tourneys. If you go even to the golden gloves finals you will always have some bouts where guys are soup cans, but some times the very character of the sport is at this level. I'm sorry to methe UFC is not MMA!
    It is a show put on, yea the fighters are great but most of the people in that crowd are apes to! The grit club level fighter has something to offer the very essance of the sport, there is a true purity in our shows that is missing from larger promotions.

Don't forget before the Ultimate fighter show most ufc guys came from these minor promotions, I don't care for reality tv so I can say I wish they still did, more fighter less drama!

lastly I find that the club level ammy guy will fight his tukas off come blood sweat tears whatever, because he is hungry, not caught up in the glamor or the $$ so much but just for the love of the fight.

you tube our shows, "Empire State Warrior Challenge"

I am proud of all our fighters they put 110% on the line, as I'm sure that all the fighters on that card did, I would suggest that not only do you continue to go to the local shows, but if cost becomes an issue you choose them over the major PPV's!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast