Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 3:56pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe

Hello WMA lovers,

About a year ago I purchased and read a book that many in this forum might enjoy. "Marital Arts of Renaissance Europe" by Sydney Anglo. It's got a great scholarly (although a little dry) overview of the development of WMAs from the middle ages through the 1800s. Chapters include information on martial arts schools and teachers (masters-at-arms), the use of illustrations in fechtbucher, sword fighting, grappling and knife fighting, and mounted combat.

I am not a practitioner of any WMAs, but I recommend this book for those who are interested in the history.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MAoRE is a great book. Professor Anglo is a professional historian and his history is rock solid; my only criticism would be that he occasionally over-extends when he's addressing martial arts practice, per se.

There's a very extensive review here - http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/MAoREpreview.htm .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will take a look for it. I have some manuscripts from 16th and 17th century (PDF, not originals of course) by masters Marozzo, Agrippa, Giganti and others but I don't speak 16th century italian so I can only read pictures :-)

But there were some historians in our recent history who translate it to Czech if anyone would need :laughing1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2009 8:11pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capo Ferro,

In The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe the author discusses the works and arts of some or all of those fencing masters that you mentioned. However, it is more of a history book and not really a tool for learning techniques necessarily (if that is your interest). I would still recommend it though, especially since the author has a whole chapter about how movement is depicted in european martial arts manuals.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2009 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well history is one of my major interests :-)

Thanks for recommandation.