Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Middle Knuckle Fist, Any Success?

I was wondering if anyone out there had used either a middle knuckle fist or a phoenix eye fist in a real fight and did they work?

For clarifcation, a middle knuckle fist is a normal fist with the middle finger projected outward to form a spike. The rest of the fingers are bent 90 degrees, but the middle is only bent about 55-60 degrees.

The phoenix eye fist is a normal fist with the index finger bent at the second knuckle instead of the third and then supported with the thumb across the nail bed.

The middle knuckle seems good for a slice or rake, say across the ribs, but I can't picture either one being used in a punch. Even if that punch is aimed at a pressure point or soft target.

Whats the Bull?

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:18pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen this used in kung fu movies. Can anyone actually do a pushup while making one of these type of fists, I know I can't. If a person could do a pushup with that sort of fist? I think they'd be strong enough to do an effective puch if they could support their bodyweight with it. Maybe i've just watched too many movies.

Dosen't Omega list his style as Phoenix eye boxing or something like that? Is it the same thing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2009 11:43pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give it a try next time I spar.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Middle knuckle fist is also called an eagles beak, I have used it for pain compliance a few times to great success, but never as a strike. As a slice or rake I would say totally ineffective, IMO those techniques are knife techniques.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega's style is not Phoenix Eye Boxing. One of the sifus I know does push ups on leopard fists (all knuckles extended).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Choy Lay Fut uses the half fist and advocates the second knuckle push up technique for strength training. This fist does seem stronger to me, although I've never really hit a person with it.

Still if that middle knuckle or phoenix eye works for anyone, let me know.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The leopard fist push up sifu is indeed a choy li fut guy. He can punch hard, and he could punch hard with leopard fists too. Both would hurt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if these "weapons" work, I guess the next question would be...is the time and effort involved in developing a tough second knuckle worth it? Is the limited time available for training worth devoting a portion to knuckle toughening. Maybe so considering practice for this might consist of 3 sets of 5 seconded knuckle push ups and working your way up to something like 3 sets of 20.

Does your Choy Lay Fut sifu recommend a knuckle toughing training routine?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 1:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The middle knuckle fist sounds similar to how my aikido teacher does his strikes. His strikes come mainly from Okinawan Kenpo Kobudo I believe. He's popped me in the temple before and it stunned me (I'm glad he wasn't trying for the knockout he was definitely holding back). I've only been on the recieving end of his strikes for that type of fist and have never trained in it so I can't really say anything other than "ouch."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2009 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That makes perfect sense. It seems like the kind of strike that would work on thin skin/thin bone site. Did he throw it like a round house, straight punch, inverted round house, or a slice?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast