218358 Bullies, 6437 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 41
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. blackxpress is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:39pm


     Style: Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What do you know about Kuk Sul Do?

    I have a very good reason for asking this question but it really isn't necessary for me to go into it. Tell me anything you can about Kuk Sul Do, pro, con or otherwise. is it the same as Kuk Sool Won? Is it different and, if so, in what way? Did it come out of Kuk Sool Won? If so, what's the story? You get the picture. Fire away.
  2. Crushing Step is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    814

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 6:57pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the wiki is correct and Kuk Sul Do does in fact come from Kuk Sul Won, I would be very wary.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuk_Sul_Do

    I will offer as evidence the following black belt video which includes some "combat demo". If this is how you want to fight, go for it man

    YouTube - Michael P. Kuk Sul Do Black Belt Demo
  3. blackxpress is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    7/16/2009 9:21pm


     Style: Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I've seen that video. That's one of the reasons I'm asking the question. And, no, I do not want to fight like that.
  4. shelbydeth is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
    Posts
    790

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 3:13am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took Kuk Sool Won for about 5 months before my MMA. It had some alright bits, and I have nothing but respect for my instructor, but this looks similar so I'd say be careful.
  5. jvjim is offline
    jvjim's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    B'ham
    Posts
    243

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 3:31am


     Style: Oyoma Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, here's my thing about Kuk Sol Wan/Do: I actually went to a dojo that was once affiliated with the main organization (someone named Master Sims apparently broke off over absorbent testing fees or something), and it was this odd mix of Bullshido, McDojo, judo club, and legitimate TMA (to the degree I'm qualified to measure it, which is none.)

    I mean, there would be a little kids class with 7 year old black belts and then a class full of overweight people krottying, but after they finished up the sensei and "advanced" students (who were pretty athletic) sparred pretty hard in all ranges (except the ground.) They'd even go at each other with padded weapons.

    The guy was a judo blackbelt (from my Alma mater's now-defunct judo club), led a local competitive knife throwing league, and was really fat but could beat the **** out of all the athletic advanced students. It was so fucking surreal to see this cartoonish, cliched guy in his black pajamas, surrounded by all the pink fans and foolishness, actually using that **** against resisting opponents.

    If the dojo had been a little closer, I would have joined up (until I found a more sports oriented gym) just because all the weird **** looked so much fun and the head instructor was cool (and taught basic Judo on the side.) Everybody was really nice too, all the dojo members seemed entirely normal, and there were lots of hot moms.
    Last edited by jvjim; 7/17/2009 3:50am at .
  6. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    394

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 5:25pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvjim View Post
    See, here's my thing about Kuk Sol Wan/Do: I actually went to a dojo that was once affiliated with the main organization (someone named Master Sims apparently broke off over absorbent testing fees or something), and it was this odd mix of Bullshido, McDojo, judo club, and legitimate TMA (to the degree I'm qualified to measure it, which is none.)

    I mean, there would be a little kids class with 7 year old black belts and then a class full of overweight people krottying, but after they finished up the sensei and "advanced" students (who were pretty athletic) sparred pretty hard in all ranges (except the ground.) They'd even go at each other with padded weapons.

    The guy was a judo blackbelt (from my Alma mater's now-defunct judo club), led a local competitive knife throwing league, and was really fat but could beat the **** out of all the athletic advanced students. It was so fucking surreal to see this cartoonish, cliched guy in his black pajamas, surrounded by all the pink fans and foolishness, actually using that **** against resisting opponents.

    If the dojo had been a little closer, I would have joined up (until I found a more sports oriented gym) just because all the weird **** looked so much fun and the head instructor was cool (and taught basic Judo on the side.) Everybody was really nice too, all the dojo members seemed entirely normal, and there were lots of hot moms.
    It's Kuk Sool Won.. nothing different that I can see.. They changed the name, I think, because quite a few of the members left Kuk Sool Won due to aforementioned reasons... Maybe someone else can elaborate on that one?

    Marlin Sims was a 7th Dan when I left Hapkido. He is a good friend of My former Hapkido instructor, and frankly is a living Badass. THe guy is like 50 years old, looks like he's 30, can do a spin hook kick to an 8 ft. tall man's temple, and is also a Judo BB.

    Have you ever seen the Pimp Vs. Karate Youtube Vid? Marlin Sims is the African American man in the video.

    Contrary to popular belief, most of the old Kuk Sool Won/Kuk Sool Kwan masters practice with full resistence. It's pretty common to see Marlin Sims, for example, hurting the **** out of Uke because Uke is expected to fully resist.

    Others, like Master John Murphy, were amateur fighters in the 80's and early 90's.

    Last time I heard, Sims and Murphy both were with Hanminjok Hapkido(In Sun Seo). Therefore, anyone that is under-ranked or affiliated are probably using that curriculum. Murphy, from what I know, was never with Kuk Sool Won.
  7. blackxpress is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 6:27pm


     Style: Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha2six View Post

    Have you ever seen the Pimp Vs. Karate Youtube Vid? Marlin Sims is the African American man in the video.


    Do you mean the African American man that gets "knocked out?" I always wondered if that video was fake. Is that what you're saying.
  8. Yoj is offline
    Yoj's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,843

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 6:29pm


     Style: Aikijujutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    Do you mean the African American man that gets "knocked out?" I always wondered if that video was fake. Is that what you're saying.
    I think he is saying look at the other people in the video, not just the main 2.
  9. Tex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    394

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 6:57pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    Do you mean the African American man that gets "knocked out?" I always wondered if that video was fake. Is that what you're saying.
    Yeah.. sorry.. the other Black guy.. Not the Pimp. I don't know the merits of the actual video. It could be staged, but I was always under the impression that it was just caught on tape.
    Last edited by Tex; 7/17/2009 7:02pm at .
  10. blackxpress is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    7/17/2009 8:20pm


     Style: Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha2six View Post
    Yeah.. sorry.. the other Black guy.. Not the Pimp. I don't know the merits of the actual video. It could be staged, but I was always under the impression that it was just caught on tape.
    O.K. Got it.

    Anyway, this thread is proving my point to myself. No one seems to know very much about Kuk Sul Do. "It seems like Kuk Sul Won" is about the best anyone can do.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.